Gustav Nyquist & Vincent Trocheck fined $2,000 each for diving

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Lost a lot of respect for nyquist after his dive.

Then you must have lost respect for some of the biggest names in the game like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Giroux, Sedins, Kane, Phaneuf, Brown, etc.

I think embellishment is more prevalent than you realize, not that it makes it right.

GoodKnight

QOTSA
Apr 2, 2014
Own Personal Hell
Pretty sure at least 75% of players currently playing in the NHL have embellished at one point, and 100% of them would do it if they knew it would draw a penalty. It's a pretty natural reaction in sports to nurse calls from the refs, this isn't new to hockey, been happening for decades

Aceonfire*

Wait, when did Nyquist dive? I don't even remember him diving in recent memory.

He dove last night.

A love tap hit his thigh and he went down. Ref called it a trip.

He may have just lost an edge but it was still a ridiculous call.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
He dove last night.

A love tap hit his thigh and he went down. Ref called it a trip.

He may have just lost an edge but it was still a ridiculous call.

He clearly lost an edge. No player would dive when he could have easily had a breakaway.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
The league **** the bed from the get go when they introduced the rule.

They called the dive and the phantom infraction as well, should have just been calling the dive from the start.

Oxidized Guacamole

Feb 25, 2013
Can we have a compendium thread for dives where they can all be seen, rated for style, etc? At the end of the season, everyone could vote on the DOTY. Just a suggestion.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
That Trochek one is embarrassing, how was that not posted on here?

Plays for Florida and in a game against Washington.

If he played for Montreal and were playing against Boston, then you would have had many, many posts.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Can we have a compendium thread for dives where they can all be seen, rated for style, etc? At the end of the season, everyone could vote on the DOTY. Just a suggestion.

We have, in the past. Those threads turn into wastelands of trolling, baiting and flaming (people are extremely sensitive about their favorite players being called divers, it seems) and lead to no productive discussions so theyre no longer allowed.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
I have zero tolerance for hockey players acting. Head snaps, dives, embellishment etc.

Its the antithesis of what I like about hockey.

And no it hasn't always been like this. It's become commonplace to embellish.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
haha, it looked like the dead fish celebration

ibff9YjdaZ4Pc1.gif

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
The problem is the NHL doesn't call obvious stick infractions. So players have to dive in order for them to "sell" the call better. Players shouldn't be diving, of course, but the NHL officials are still part of the problem.

The problem is this way of thinking. Did you ever hear the saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?

I can't count how many dives I have seen over the years where there was no stick infraction and no infraction at all. I can't count the times a player has held another players stick under his arm and fallen down, in the past things like that would happen too many times in one game to count with some teams.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
glad they called out nyquist on that one.
i remembed watching that game .
that call almost turned the game around.

not only did he dive . but he actually initiated the dive by putting his legs around the stick. pathrtic and wordt of the 2 dives

Oxidized Guacamole

Feb 25, 2013
We have, in the past. Those threads turn into wastelands of trolling, baiting and flaming (people are extremely sensitive about their favorite players being called divers, it seems) and lead to no productive discussions so theyre no longer allowed.

Bummer! And I was going to nominate a guy from my home team (Kunitz). But I understand I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad