Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Nyquist was a solid player. His best year was probably his rookie year. Thanks for the memories good luck in SJ, don't come back unless the money is reasonable with no NTC.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was a big proponent of a youth movement in 2013-14 and was gratified to see Tatar and Nyquist break out. On the one hand I am a little bummed to see them go to other franchises but I know they will have successful careers. I followed Gus' career since he played at Maine and really enjoyed watching him play for the Red Wings.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
It wasn't that long ago that Nyquist and Tatar were the future. Now, both are gone. Gus played some great hockey for us and looked really good on Larkin's line this year. I know this is the way it needs to be, but we're not really used to this in Detroit. Good luck, Goose. Knock them dead in SJ.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
ALHnWan.gif

The Goose is officially loose. Good luck in SJ. Maybe he will deliver on all the promise we felt from him early on.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
College hockey is my true sports love. That said, I remember thinking what a hell of a player Nyquist was at Maine. I thought he had The Hobey in the bag when he was a finalist against Blake Geoffrion and Bobby Butler.

I have nothing bad to say about his tenure with the Wings. He was fun to watch while he was here. I wouldn't mind seeing he and Pavelski hoist a Cup together.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Anyone watch his 2 games with SJ? I saw them vs. the Avs last night, he did well. It's interesting he's on a 3rd line with Jumbo Joe, sort of like how he was with Z.

It's funny I never watched every shift of Tatar and Gus as intently as the first games they were traded. I said this last year but kind of like a nervous parent lol.

Reactions: TheMule93

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Nyquist has been incredibly overrated imo.

His playmaking and possesion in the offensive zone has gotten a lot better recently, so definitely a chance that a long term contract could pay off, but it's a big commitment for a guy that has basically been an unassertive, responsible two way route runner for most his career.

Reactions: dragonballgtz

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
He gets talked about like he's a reliable, creative, highly talented top 6 winger.

He's a 20 goal scorer that back checks like crazy to compensate for his lack of ability to forecheck or possess the puck in dangerous areas. He was a nice 3rd line piece for SJ, and the results were predictably unremarkable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He was pretty overrated during the Goose is Loose period because of the hype.
Before Franzen went down to injury Nyquist over an out 82 games last part of the call up season and first part of the next was a top 10 goal scorer. Yes they scouted him better but he hasn't enjoyed chemistry on near the same level since Frazen went down.

He fell short of expectations, but the flash with Franzen was incredibly bright. There was reason to buy in. It was a more impressive stretch of hockey than what AA and Mantha have put out for instance. But it proved fleeting in terms of he is just a very good player not a first line guy like he appeared then. Franzen's loss was massive for Nyquist though in my opinion.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Before Franzen went down to injury Nyquist over an out 82 games last part of the call up season and first part of the next was a top 10 goal scorer. Yes they scouted him better but he hasn't enjoyed chemistry on near the same level since Frazen went down.

He fell short of expectations, but the flash with Franzen was incredibly bright. There was reason to buy in. It was a more impressive stretch of hockey than what AA and Mantha have put out for instance. But it proved fleeting in terms of he is just a very good player not a first line guy like he appeared then. Franzen's loss was massive for Nyquist though in my opinion.
I think his explosion was primarily a mix of underscouting and 'rookie adrenaline', so to speak. I don't know that I'd say Franzen's loss was massive because I doubt that would have really been an ongoing thing anyway. More of a flash in the pan that was bound to end sooner or later. He's had other skilled power forwards to play with since and he hasn't really developed the same chemistry. But yeah great complementary player but too soft on the puck to really be a go-to guy.

Reactions: dragonballgtz

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

I think it had more to do with other teams figuring him out. When he was at his best he was driving the play down the middle. Once teams forced him to be a perimeter player his production dropped.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it had more to do with other teams figuring him out. When he was at his best he was driving the play down the middle. Once teams forced him to be a perimeter player his production dropped.

I think Franzen was generating a lot of that space. Franzen was a really difficult chalk talk player for other teams. He is a zone wrecker in terms of what one of my buddies in the industry likes to call them. He was very good at manipulating and creating space and it tailored to Nyquist almost perfectly.

I agree that he fell back into his perimeter pattern where he scored lots of points in the NCAA and AHL. Ultimately his failure is he struggles to routinely generate his own space. His second best linemate fit in Detroit was Larkin a guy that backs teams off and his methodical motor disrupts and opens areas. I think we had reason to believe given his offensive pedigree to that point that it was a true arrival. Just ultimately while a very good top 6 player he isn't the straw he needs guys to open things up for him to be effective.

Reactions: lomekian

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think Franzen was generating a lot of that space. Franzen was a really difficult chalk talk player for other teams. He is a zone wrecker in terms of what one of my buddies in the industry likes to call them. He was very good at manipulating and creating space and it tailored to Nyquist almost perfectly.

I agree that he fell back into his perimeter pattern where he scored lots of points in the NCAA and AHL. Ultimately his failure is he struggles to routinely generate his own space. His second best linemate fit in Detroit was Larkin a guy that backs teams off and his methodical motor disrupts and opens areas. I think we has reason to believe given his offensive pedigree to that point that it was a true arrival. Just ultimately while a very good top 6 player he isn't the straw he needs guys to open things up for him to be effective.

I can't argue that, because without seeing him playing with someone who created space like Franzen did with Nyquist, its impossible to say. I just know the second he started playing a weak perimeter game, he went from explosion to fizzle.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That Nyquist explosion was one heck of a stretch of hockey. Will certainly never forget that. It was a bright spot during a dull time. I first thought Nyquist might be a superstar in the making but he is more a complimentary player, that's not a knock superstars are rare, but I think Nyquist just became a product of the declining team. The more the team declined the less there was to be a compliment to.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad