Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Datstromberg

Nov 12, 2007
babcock:
“Is Gus ready for the top-six? I don’t know,'' coach Mike Babcock said before Saturday's 2-1 shootout loss in Vancouver. “We’ll find out if we need him in that spot.

"we'll find out if we need him" usually means "i cant wait to bench his ass in favor of a washed up veteran".

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Where?

I swear you people make things up

First and foremost, people thought he was most expendable by a large margin in this thread. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=81903

In this thread people keep saying Tatar is more valuable than Nyquist(Which could be true, obviously), but people keep questioning his ability of playing in the NHL.

Quotes from other, older threads before his recent success:
I hope they trade Nyquist as soon as possible.

Nyquist is for sure a bust.

Bob, even you said:
All of the sudden, I notice guys are down on Nyquist.
He wasn't overwhelming in his last trip to Detroit, but I thought he was OK as he bounced around the lineup.

Noticing people were down on Nyquist.

I only looked through two threads, granted not everyone is as negative as gretskidoo, but people were definitely down on him, just as they had been with Kindl, and just as they are with Smith now. The evidence is out there. I also remember a lot of people very quickly packaging Nyquist in a deal for Bouwmeester rather than any of our other prospects of similar value. People were already thinking he couldn't perform at the NHL level. There were other people who just didn't think he'd be utilized properly by Babcock as well. The feelings on Nyquist have almost 180'd in the last month and a half.

RedWingsNow*

First and foremost, people thought he was most expendable by a large margin in this thread. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=81903

In this thread people keep saying Tatar is more valuable than Nyquist(Which could be true, obviously), but people keep questioning his ability of playing in the NHL.

Quotes from other, older threads before his recent success:

Bob, even you said:

Noticing people were down on Nyquist.

I only looked through two threads, granted not everyone is as negative as gretskidoo, but people were definitely down on him, just as they had been with Kindl, and just as they are with Smith now. The evidence is out there. I also remember a lot of people very quickly packaging Nyquist in a deal for Bouwmeester rather than any of our other prospects of similar value. People were already thinking he couldn't perform at the NHL level. There were other people who just didn't think he'd be utilized properly by Babcock as well. The feelings on Nyquist have almost 180'd in the last month and a half.

What you said in this thread is NOTHING like people were saying.

You said A LOT OF PEOPLE wanted to trade him

Nobody hated Nyquist. But he wasn't playing that well.

And people were talking about Nyquist-vs-Tatar-vs-Jarnkrok... not about trading Nyquist vs not trading Nyquist

People here get righteous over opinions that never existed :)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
One thing I like about him (which seems rare among our forwards) is that he seems to have a bit of swagger. He doesn't seem to get down on himself. If he's poke-checked or misses a scoring opportunity, he doesn't become more timid as the game goes on. He doesn't shy away from playing his game. He just goes out there and tries again. Its refreshing. And with how comparable his style of play and physique are to Filppula's, I think that mentality could be the difference between Nyquist doing consistently what Filppula has only been able to do once.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It was a little bit of both.

Ehh, it looks like it was one poster going on an irrational hypberloic tirade against Nyquist. Those token posters that have irrational hatred towards X player love to obsessively post negative comments about said player whenever the topic is at hand.

Howard and Smith have likewise fallen victim to hate-crazed posters.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Should have been with the team all year. He is clearly NHL ready, and clearly too good for the AHL. Once Fil leaves in the offseason, Nyquist will jump up to the top 6 forward group and will nt look out of place. 50-60 PTS next season is what I see him doing.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Should have been with the team all year. He is clearly NHL ready, and clearly too good for the AHL. Once Fil leaves in the offseason, Nyquist will jump up to the top 6 forward group and will nt look out of place. 50-60 PTS next season is what I see him doing.

that's really high hopes. I could see anywhere from 25-60 points next year. all depends on where he plays top 6 or bottom six. if he has a shooter on his line and not 2 other playmakers. and if he doesn't fall into any real slumps. if he is on a 3rd line with Helm then 25-35 points is realistic add Tatar and 30-45 points is realistic replace Helm with Z or Pav and you could end up in the 45-60 point range. I hope he does great but you never know and putting up big expectations can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If a guy like Cleary was producing, we wouldn't be clamouring for the kids to play more. If the vets are old and busted...let the kids play. They're no worse than they are and they'll never get experience at this rate. It gets old when they use their farm team as injury replacements rather than use it as a resource to get players some time to grow and then bring them up as full-time guys.

Tatar has been in GR long enough and Nyquist has no business being there anymore either. Washed up vets don't help this team anymore...you need the young legs and hunger of a guy that wants to prove he belongs. With Jarnkrok, Sproul and Pulkkinen over here now, they can't all be in the AHL and get the proper minutes. They'll have a kick ass AHL team but it rings hollow if your NHL club is over the hill.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
A lot of people were screaming to trade him because they thought he was a bust not too long ago. Probably the same crowd screaming to trade Smith now, too. All good things come in time, and Nyquist has been great lately.

No, all good things come immeidately, otherwise our players suck:laugh: (remember, this is Hfboards...)

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Ehh, it looks like it was one poster going on an irrational hypberloic tirade against Holland and Babcock. Those token posters that have irrational hatred towards X GM/Coach love to obsessively post negative comments about said GM/Coach whenever the topic is at hand.

It works for everybody in the organization apparently lol

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
babcock:

"we'll find out if we need him" usually means "i cant wait to bench his ass in favor of a washed up veteran".

This just in Babs, we cannot score, you need him! Same goes for Tatar. One thing about the vets is they are entirely predictable, now a bit of the regression in Tatar towards the end is he is more predictable than Nyquist in that regard. But they both vary their offense, Cleary and Filppula gain the zone you know where they are going corner or halfwall for a pull up and observe moment. It is a big problem predictability kills you at the highest level of hockey unless that skill is borderline unstoppable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
that's really high hopes. I could see anywhere from 25-60 points next year. all depends on where he plays top 6 or bottom six. if he has a shooter on his line and not 2 other playmakers. and if he doesn't fall into any real slumps. if he is on a 3rd line with Helm then 25-35 points is realistic add Tatar and 30-45 points is realistic replace Helm with Z or Pav and you could end up in the 45-60 point range. I hope he does great but you never know and putting up big expectations can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Helm has hardly ever played with people that can keep up with his pace. These two can, unfortunately Babcock will need size on that line. Oddly enough our best line the past two years was Huds - Z -Fil, what would you say this line lacks. But guess what they had the puck and were hard to beat, sure you could pin them in the zone, but that is coaching, favor offensive zone starts and let her fly. Babcock seems completely adverse to this, one of the things decline in talent means is closer observation of matchups and zone starting position. Something Babcock is brutal at.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
He has been flat-out impressive since last being called up. He out works everybody almost every night. And he makes smart plays. Not to mention he is lethal on the break away.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
babcock:

“Is Gus ready for the top-six? I don’t know,'' coach Mike Babcock said before Saturday's 2-1 shootout loss in Vancouver. “We’ll find out if we need him in that spot.

This organization gives out the weirdest mixed messages.

Babcock had that bit about grabbing your chunk of the cheese and keeping it for 15 years straight. Now what he seems to be saying is, you can grab some cheese, but you have to be given the rest of it by your coach. It seems like it's actually independent of how you play.

I really think that's going to bite the team in the ass sooner or later. The Wings go on about how they want young guys to come in and steal older guys' jobs, but when it actually happens the Wings pretend it never happened and go with the older guy. In order for a team like this to be healthy, they need to go with whoever plays the best. No projections, no veteran's benefit of a doubt; if you suck, you sit. If you suck a lot, you get sent down or waived. That's how it has to be.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Was out with a friend last night who doesn't normally watch the Wings. Halfway through the game he asks, "Who is #14? He's really good."

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If a guy like Cleary was producing, we wouldn't be clamouring for the kids to play more. If the vets are old and busted...let the kids play. They're no worse than they are and they'll never get experience at this rate. It gets old when they use their farm team as injury replacements rather than use it as a resource to get players some time to grow and then bring them up as full-time guys.

Tatar has been in GR long enough and Nyquist has no business being there anymore either. Washed up vets don't help this team anymore...you need the young legs and hunger of a guy that wants to prove he belongs. With Jarnkrok, Sproul and Pulkkinen over here now, they can't all be in the AHL and get the proper minutes. They'll have a kick ass AHL team but it rings hollow if your NHL club is over the hill.

The bolded made me think of this: :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was out with a friend last night who doesn't normally watch the Wings. Halfway through the game he asks, "Who is #14? He's really good."

Watching the Wings game's with my father, and it goes like this.

"Who the hell is #11? That guy is absolutely worthless!"
"Is he a defenseman or a forward? I can't tell."
"Why does he look so much slower than everyone else?"

and I don't have a good answer for the man ;)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
babcock:

So right, Gustav needs more ice he's proving he can do it. Just get that crumb Brunner off his line and add Tatar. Then you got a solid line (including Anderson).

Tired of Babcocks hard on for Cleary and fellow wash ups co.. Cleary would struugle to score in a beer league game let alone the AHL, let alone the NHL. In fact the ECHL seems like a nice fit for him.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

:) My buddies Mom did the same thing. On a rush she exclaims "who the hell is that? he can really skate!" Truer words have never been spoken.

My greatest satisfaction these last few have been the 3rd line. I have such hope for those 3 and something about them is refreshing. Brunner is the older brother yet he's picking up some things from Nyquist and Andersson for sure.

Brunner got a shot with Z, at this stage Gus should very well be put up there, for crying out loud please Babs replace Cleary in the top 6!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Watching the Wings game's with my father, and it goes like this.

"Who the hell is #11? That guy is absolutely worthless!"
"Is he a defenseman or a forward? I can't tell."
"Why does he look so much slower than everyone else?"

and I don't have a good answer for the man ;)

We know exactly the answer. Dem photos of Babcock.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
This organization gives out the weirdest mixed messages.

Babcock had that bit about grabbing your chunk of the cheese and keeping it for 15 years straight. Now what he seems to be saying is, you can grab some cheese, but you have to be given the rest of it by your coach. It seems like it's actually independent of how you play.

I really think that's going to bite the team in the ass sooner or later. The Wings go on about how they want young guys to come in and steal older guys' jobs, but when it actually happens the Wings pretend it never happened and go with the older guy. In order for a team like this to be healthy, they need to go with whoever plays the best. No projections, no veteran's benefit of a doubt; if you suck, you sit. If you suck a lot, you get sent down or waived. That's how it has to be.

Babcock is a size queen. Nyquist could be no more physical than he is now, but if he were 6'2, 210, he'd have dethroned Abdelkader already.

Abdelkader barely has any skill, Franzen gives inconsistent effort, and Andersson is soft as butter. And yet none of them have suffered the jerk-around the same way our sub-6'0" guys have.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Babcock is a size queen. Nyquist could be no more physical than he is now, but if he were 6'2, 210, he'd have dethroned Abdelkader already.

Abdelkader barely has any skill, Franzen gives inconsistent effort, and Andersson is soft as butter. And yet none of them have suffered the jerk-around the same way our sub-6'0" guys have.

Babcock likes guys he can trust, size is secondary to that. Exhibit A is Filppula.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->