Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He's been really good lately. He's not amazing defensively, but he's also not getting turned inside out. The crazy thing in my opinion is the raw amount of chances he gets every game, which is up there with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on some nights. I think the incredible thing is that he isn't getting those chances because he's strong or a great skater (although he is pretty decent) or a great stickhandler (but still okay); he gets those chances pretty much out of hockey sense alone (well, and hard work too). The kicker is he's not being carried by good linemates. In fact, he tends to be the guy who stirs the drink on his line.

Now, we need to have a talk about finishing the ridiculous amounts of quality chances he gets. He's Filppula-esque in that sense right now, but I think he's been significantly better than Filppula offensively when they've both been in the lineup.

I suppose now somebody has to go and post that Nyquist has been awful and should still be in the AHL...

DatsyukianDeke*

He's been really good lately. He's not amazing defensively, but he's also not getting turned inside out. The crazy thing in my opinion is the raw amount of chances he gets every game, which is up there with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on some nights. I think the incredible thing is that he isn't getting those chances because he's strong or a great skater (although he is pretty decent) or a great stickhandler (but still okay); he gets those chances pretty much out of hockey sense alone (well, and hard work too). The kicker is he's not being carried by good linemates. In fact, he tends to be the guy who stirs the drink on his line.

Now, we need to have a talk about finishing the ridiculous amounts of quality chances he gets. He's Filppula-esque in that sense right now, but I think he's been significantly better than Filppula offensively when they've both been in the lineup.

I suppose now somebody has to go and post that Nyquist has been awful and should still be in the AHL...

I'm not too worried about his finishing right now, it will come. I want to see him play with more skilled players, maybe Datsyuk or Zetterberg, I think he would be able to create more chances but he's playing well on that third line. IMO, he's already better than Flip, at least the guy goes to the net, shoots, and has some sort of clue before crossing the blue line.

How many times yesterday did Flip take the pass over the blue line and either turn it over, or swirl back and put everyone offside ?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Something I noticed was Nyquist's takeaway stats. 15 in 18 games. Only Pavel trumps that ratio. He also only has two giveaways, granted a lost board battle doesn't count as one where he still needs work. But bottom line, he retrieves the puck and his passes are usually of high quality.

Main reason he's doing well compared to his first stint this season is that he's acting, not reacting anymore. He takes the puck and looks confident doing his thing. Now he just has to get more effective with the chances he's creating, which will also improve as he moves up to play with better players. He's starting to beat defenders 1on1 and he's not afraid to try some of his moves.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
yep he looks pretty promising

just heap some praise on him publicly, challenge him to be better next year by telling everyone we expect bigger and better things from him and motivate him to be that guy

then put him in touch with the gary roberts school of excellence to fill out even more and get bigger and stronger on his skates(its worked wonders for so many others) and then let him play next season with datsyuk

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Knew he would be able to excel when he finally got his chance, though he still has a ways to go. He played pretty good last season in his short stay. Just wish they would try him out with Franzen/Datsyuk, couldn't hurt right? especially now.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Good for him.

Glad he is getting playing time.

He seems to be getting some good moves out there, BUT...

He has also been bobbling the puck alot and losing it off his own stick trying to deke people out.

In 1-2 seasons he should be well established, but either way, need to keep him in the line up for him to develop.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008

Basically all of this! I was pumped to see this kid since he tore it up in college. Earlier when he was brought up I thought he looked decent but somewhat agreed with others about not being strong enough at the time. This time he has been possibly our 2nd best forward. I like him and Brunner together, add Tatar and it would be crazy. You could tell he finally is breaking out a few games back when a dman who was probably 6'3 was putting his weight on him and Nyquist lowered himself and held the puck through it.

I really thought Flip was gonna become a our next Datsyuk/Z a few years back, but really he has been looking terrible. If he wants anything more than $3.75 m let him walk. We are starting to have a log jam and defense and seems forward will be an issue soon as well. Good problem to have :yo::yo:, although depressing to know we have Cleary, Sammy, etc on the team.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Something I noticed was Nyquist's takeaway stats. 15 in 18 games. Only Pavel trumps that ratio. He also only has two giveaways, granted a lost board battle doesn't count as one where he still needs work. But bottom line, he retrieves the puck and his passes are usually of high quality.

Main reason he's doing well compared to his first stint this season is that he's acting, not reacting anymore. He takes the puck and looks confident doing his thing. Now he just has to get more effective with the chances he's creating, which will also improve as he moves up to play with better players. He's starting to beat defenders 1on1 and he's not afraid to try some of his moves.

I also think it was pretty ridiculous to say he was too weak and that the way to address that was to send him down to Grand Rapids. Um...no. Let's say you want to bench 300 pounds. Is dominating 135lbs for 20 reps going to make you a 300 pound bencher? Hell no, you need to do lots of work at your 1-3 rep max and you will get stronger. A similar analogy would be letting Nyquist get stronger against bottom 6 talent and then occasionally give him ice time against better talent. You also get the best coaching in the world in Detroit compared to Grand Rapids. The most salient example of this is Brian Lashoff, who was a nice contributor in the NHL this season. Babs said he benefited from the structure of the NHL game. That's coaching.

They finally gave Nyquist more than a cup of coffee and it's funny how he's very quickly showing he belongs in the NHL. Tatar did the same.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I also think it was pretty ridiculous to say he was too weak and that the way to address that was to send him down to Grand Rapids. Um...no..

I repeated this in about every thread in the beginning of this season. I hope the people who thought so can admit they are wrong now. It's funny how little some of the posters know about athletic training/weightlifting/conidtioning. I saw people saying Dekeyser is closer to 160-170 lbs just because of that picture where he has a loose-fitting shirt on and it's taken from a funny angle. LOL :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Disagree that he is creating chances just because of hockey sense. His skating is very good and his stickhandling is very good. Better than most forwards on this team in both aspects.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
I also think it was pretty ridiculous to say he was too weak and that the way to address that was to send him down to Grand Rapids. Um...no. Let's say you want to bench 300 pounds. Is dominating 135lbs for 20 reps going to make you a 300 pound bencher? Hell no, you need to do lots of work at your 1-3 rep max and you will get stronger. A similar analogy would be letting Nyquist get stronger against bottom 6 talent and then occasionally give him ice time against better talent. You also get the best coaching in the world in Detroit compared to Grand Rapids. The most salient example of this is Brian Lashoff, who was a nice contributor in the NHL this season. Babs said he benefited from the structure of the NHL game. That's coaching.

They finally gave Nyquist more than a cup of coffee and it's funny how he's very quickly showing he belongs in the NHL. Tatar did the same.

I thought the same thing, just a stupid thing to say he was 'too weak'.

I mean, he's actually adjusting to the NHL game and starting to play better when he gets to play more than 1 game at a time before being sent down?

YOU DON't SAY?:laugh:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you're dominating the competition, continuing to play against them is going to have minimal impact on your strength. Playing against the tougher NHL opponents is more than just putting on weight. It's amazing that people continue to cling to that on a team where their strongest players are two smaller guys and the big Mule is constantly getting knocked down. You learn to play against strong NHL players by playing in the NHL. You learn their limits, you learn your limits, you figure out "Hey, this fancy crap that I was able to pull off against baddies in the AHL doesn't work anymore. Better adjust."

Well. He's definitely adjusting quite well.

One day, we're going to kill this love of "overripe" garbage and when our prospects continuously dominate in the AHL we're just going to call them up and give them a real chance.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
A lot of people were screaming to trade him because they thought he was a bust not too long ago. Probably the same crowd screaming to trade Smith now, too. All good things come in time, and Nyquist has been great lately.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
A lot of people were screaming to trade him because they thought he was a bust not too long ago. Probably the same crowd screaming to trade Smith now, too. All good things come in time, and Nyquist has been great lately.

You never get a handle on someone until they play a good chunk of consistent time in the actual NHL. And when they outplay their competition in the league right below the NHL, I'm always willing to give them a little extra time when they're up.

I'm not sure why people think you can make a judgment about someone's NHL potential after 10 games here and there, spread out, playing with different lines constantly.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
But but but he's super weak, he's built like a pre-teen, send him back to the AHL :sarcasm:

He's been one of our most dangerous forwards of late and he's been creating some great chances and I'm confident that the points will start rolling in soon enough.

RedWingsNow*

Nyquist is creating great chances.
But his finishing...:shakehead
The thing I like about his game his his puck retrieval.
He also has subtle moves that seem to catch defense flat footed, Eventually, NHL defense are going to get wise and backoff a little bit, which will buy him some space but, but reduce the likelihood he'll get free

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Nyquist clearly has high end potential, but his game is going to take a while to adapt to the NHL level. He will get there eventually. It's a shame he wasn't brought up last year. This season could have allowed him to contribute more to this awful offense.

CloneHakanPlease*

nyquist clearly has high end potential, but his game is going to take a while to adapt to the nhl level. He will get there eventually. It's a shame he wasn't brought up last year. This season could have allowed him to contribute more to this awful offense.

we were still contenders last year trhis year is an anomaly!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->