Gustav Forsling

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I know he has a few diehard critics around here but I really am enjoying the kid

Still has flaws but overall his level of play has been improved this season and he is showing ability on PK and more aggressive tendencies offensively

Already has 4 pts on year when he put up 5 in 38 games last year

Kid is a bright spot going forward for organization

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Hopefully will be given the full year to mature, improve, and figure it out. I see flashes of excellence, as well as moments of failure.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I know he has a few diehard critics around here but I really am enjoying the kid

Still has flaws but overall his level of play has been improved this season and he is showing ability on PK and more aggressive tendencies offensively

Already has 4 pts on year when he put up 5 in 38 games last year

Kid is a bright spot going forward for organization

Agree with ya bwc good post. The other night he had the puck on his stick along the left wing boards in Hawks zone, turned around with it so sharp (like Denis Savard) then continued on to head man the puck. Impressive.

One thing i noticed as i'm sure some you have also over the past few games is when he had the puck rushing toward the O zone he passed the puck off and then peeled away, i wish he would have continued on like Coffey, Leetch or Wilson, etc.

Now i am wondering, do you guys think it's a confidence thing? or is the coaching staff telling him not to rush. I pray it's only just a lack of confidence and not the latter.

The reason i'm asking this is some of you may recall Dave Manson. When he came to play for the Hawks, especially his rookie season he had a very good ability to rush the puck but supposedly rumors were that Keenan did not want him to turn his game in that direction and to be more along a defending style (ie Hammer), some fans at the time believed that Manson would have been an awesome offensive D man but that Keenan (i liked Keenan for the most part) ruined his ability to do so.

The one thing though is Manson had a big frame and could use it in front of Belfour to clear guys out where as Forsling's game and size obviously is not tailored to that kind of play.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I 'm happy to see Forsling's improved play recently, especially defensively where he has actually muscled guys to the boards. Yes, he still makes mistakes but hasn't been shying away from the physicality like he was earlier. The potential is obvious and Q knows it, which is the best news of all.

Now if GV can just keep improving to the point where he won't be a liability at crunch time. It didn't work very well with Gus.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A positive thread created by BWC? I like it.

I also like Forsling. He was phenomenal in the Swedish league and impressed in last year's preseason. Had a rougher go this preseason, but he's looked really good these last two games. I've said it on this forum already, but I think he became a better player after taking a deflected puck to the face a few games ago. He looked tentative before that, but he looks great after. It's like getting that first injury out of the way has put his mind at ease.

He'll make mistakes now and again, but the guy is 21. Shane Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko, and John Klingberg are all young defensemen who look like legit top pairing defensemen. All of them had to wait til they were 22 to get more than a handful of games in the NHL. Forsling had 38 games as a 20yo and looks like he'll get to play most of the games this season. Damn impressive for a former mid rounder who we got for Adam Clendening.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm still not 100% sold on Forsling and he still has his rookie mistakes, but Overall he is growing on me. If he can work on his board Play a bit more than he'll end up as a good 2nd Pairing PMD that can skate and manage a PP. That's a great Player to have on your Team for sure.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A positive thread created by BWC? I like it.

I also like Forsling. He was phenomenal in the Swedish league and impressed in last year's preseason. Had a rougher go this preseason, but he's looked really good these last two games. I've said it on this forum already, but I think he became a better player after taking a deflected puck to the face a few games ago. He looked tentative before that, but he looks great after. It's like getting that first injury out of the way has put his mind at ease.

He'll make mistakes now and again, but the guy is 21. Shane Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko, and John Klingberg are all young defensemen who look like legit top pairing defensemen. All of them had to wait til they were 22 to get more than a handful of games in the NHL. Forsling had 38 games as a 20yo and looks like he'll get to play most of the games this season. Damn impressive for a former mid rounder who we got for Adam Clendening.
Ghost was benched for a stretch last year. DMen takes years to develop ... especially ones with length. They tend to play more of a positional game. Positioning takes experience. Hopefully, that is the case with Connor Murphy.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I can see him being the best D on the team in a couple years. Puts Seabrook to shame that's for sure!

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Who is this OP?

Forsling has been good and from my eye-test he is getting time against pretty high QoC. I like it, hopefully he keeps going and eventually be the #3D at least what he is projected to be.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I really like him this year, huge improvement from last year.
He has been much better in our zone than I thought he would based off of his preseason play. I missed a bunch of the Nashville game, but the games previous to that he was solid.

Potential to be a top pairing guy for sure.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I 'm happy to see Forsling's improved play recently, especially defensively where he has actually muscled guys to the boards. Yes, he still makes mistakes but hasn't been shying away from the physicality like he was earlier. The potential is obvious and Q knows it, which is the best news of all.

Now if GV can just keep improving to the point where he won't be a liability at crunch time. It didn't work very well with Gus.

Yep, growth is the key. Play and learn. Appears he's decidedly more physical than in the pre-season (not saying much, but still). 21 years old, have to be patient. Rewards will come.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I think he's looking pretty good.

Sure, he makes some stupid mistakes but that's to be expected at this point.
If he continues to improve the Hawks have a very good defenseman for a long time (much needed with Seab's and Keith's age.)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hoping for the best because the intermittent flashes of brilliance (particularly in the Ozone) make the potential clear.... but he needs A LOT of improvement.

Reactions: BK and BobbyJet

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hoping for the best because the intermittent flashes of brilliance (particularly in the Ozone) make the potential clear.... but he needs A LOT of improvement.

I don't think he needs to improve a ton right now, just minimize/eliminate the mistakes. He does that and he'll be a solid top 4 guy this season. If we see enough improvement from this year to next, he could be a top pairing guy. It's all about eliminating the mistakes moreso than improving.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Let's just hope he can build on his strong start and improvement from last to this Season. Imagine getting a top Pairing D right after Keith and Seabs decline to become 2nd Pairing guys.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Let's just hope he can build on his strong start and improvement from last to this Season. Imagine getting a top Pairing D right after Keith and Seabs decline to become 2nd Pairing guys.

Seabrook has already declined to a third pairing guy and Forsling is better than Seabrook at the moment as well lol

Keith will never really decline all that much, he will get slower and make more mistakes true but I see him being a top pairing guy till the day he retires.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Seabrook is our 6th best D at this point. This is good and bad. A lot of talent but inexperienced.

I think you are undervaluing Seabrook just a tad. He's certainly still better than Kempny/Murphy/Franson/Forsling at this point.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think you are undervaluing Seabrook just a tad. He's certainly still better than Kempny/Murphy/Franson/Forsling at this point.

Not really. He is our most sheltered D and he can’t keep up. He has offensive value but very little to no value on defense.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wonder what would happen if you put Seabs up front. Could he pull a Burns/Byfuglien and pot 25-30?

Back on topic since every thread is about Seabs, Forsling looks good. We're lucky we got him for nothing. Thanks Vancouver!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->