Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We don't really know if there is any valuation implications. It's negotiating, if you don't have space you can't spend it. Anyways until they sign Schuldt and Engo, the cap space needed to do a Gusev deal is still up for debate. Once those guys are done he can do a heres what I got meeting with his agent and find out if a deal can really be done. Don't forget it goes both ways, no one knows if Gusev even wants to be a Knight. If the goal is to get traded somewhere else with more cap available and a surer path to a top six spot, this is how you would negotiate from his side.

There have been reports, even from Granger, that Gusev prefers it if he is a Golden Knight (and a 2 year, 4M demand would be reasonable to prove he is serious) but that if the team didn't want him he wants to play in the NHL.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I hate Lambert with a passion, but he's not wrong in this article. Why are we overvaluing Eakin and Reaves? Both players are likely gone after this season regardless of Gusev being signed or not.

We might not be overvaluing them. Plan is probably to move one of them, but maybe it's not something they feel they have to do now.

Re: Gusev and the trade rumors, just because they're out there doesn't mean it's going to happen. It means McPhee is getting offers.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We might not be overvaluing them. Plan is probably to move one of them, but maybe it's not something they feel they have to do now.

Re: Gusev and the trade rumors, just because they're out there doesn't mean it's going to happen. It means McPhee is getting offers.

I did notice the thread title on the main boards, Vegas looking to trade Gusev, that is changing the narrative from Vegas open to trading Gusev (if someone wants to pay a 1st round asset.)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I did notice the thread title on the main boards, Vegas looking to trade Gusev, that is changing the narrative from Vegas open to trading Gusev (if someone wants to pay a 1st round asset.)
Yeah, the OP took the tweet that said "looking at trade options" and wrote "looking to trade", which is a leap.

GMGM is keeping the door open, and unless somebody puts a serious offer on the table, it aint happening.

Reactions: derriko

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Even though I think the writing is on the wall, at least he blurted out 'it would be a hell of a lineup' when asked about the Knights signing Gusev.

At least he knows what he has. The question is, is he doing enough to keep it?

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Let’s hope these rumors are just that. I mean according to the main boards a couple weeks ago there was 0% chance EK65 was signing with SJ. He was as good as gone and according to some posters, had already sent his goodbye tweet.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Even though I think the writing is on the wall, at least he blurted out 'it would be a hell of a lineup' when asked about the Knights signing Gusev.

At least he knows what he has. The question is, is he doing enough to keep it?

If he can get a defenseman who is a top of the line prospect then he can trade him, that might balance the team better for the future but if he doesn't think he will get the value he is worth then keep him. For me, I think it is about maximizing the value of the asset for the team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
There have been reports, even from Granger, that Gusev prefers it if he is a Golden Knight (and a 2 year, 4M demand would be reasonable to prove he is serious) but that if the team didn't want him he wants to play in the NHL.

Yeah no one knows. Of course he knows he's not in a position to choose right now, but he's fighting for a spot on the third line that he technically doesn't hold yet. Someone else gives up some valuable assets to get his rights, pays his asking price and slots him in as a 2nd line winger, wouldn't you prefer that?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Might the trade go down today? Mojo signed in Buffalo, Vancouver is supposed to be close to signing Ferland. Then it's Dzingel and Gusev in the 4-6m winger ballpark.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Might the trade go down today? Mojo signed in Buffalo, Vancouver is supposed to be close to signing Ferland. Then it's Dzingel and Gusev in the 4-6m winger ballpark.
Doubt he'll get traded if all offers have been 2nd + scraps. Somebody gotta step up big time.

Like Stone and Brännström.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Seems unlikely until everything else is done.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Not a chance. He's only $5.4M AAV for three more years and is a beast. With our core, we couldn't afford him anyway.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Not a chance. He's only $5.4M AAV for three more years and is a beast. With our core, we couldn't afford him anyway.

That emoji denotes sarcasm, but I would trade them Gusev along with Patches, Holden & Reaves if it meant Seth Jones was the return. A player like that is EXACTLY what this team is missing.

Any GM in the league worth his salt would laugh at that proposal. Well, then again, maybe Chiarelli would make that deal.

Reactions: GKG18

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
That emoji denotes sarcasm, but I would trade them Gusev along with Patches, Holden & Reaves if it meant Seth Jones was the return. A player like that is EXACTLY what this team is missing.

Any GM in the league worth his salt would laugh at that proposal. Well, then again, maybe Chiarelli would make that deal.
You need to read The Gift of the Maji.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Leafs pay nothing for Marner, why they just not trade him for second round pick?

Marner is a proven elite scorer that the Leafs drafted with an extremely valuable pick and developed. The Knights got Gusev as a throw in to a trade who was a low round draft pick. I know there is sarcasm in your post but honestly I think there might be something to the thinking about trading him based on the circumstances around Gusev.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Marner is a proven elite scorer that the Leafs drafted with an extremely valuable pick and developed. The Knights got Gusev as a throw in to a trade who was a low round draft pick. I know there is sarcasm in your post but honestly I think there might be something to the thinking about trading him based on the circumstances around Gusev.

Taking Garrison, a 2nd, 4th, and Gusev's rights then trading Gusev for a 2nd round pick would be a horrendous deal. McPhee is a good drafter, but a bad trader if you look at history and I wouldn't be surprised if he settles for a 2nd back. Even a first would be bad unless it turns out to be an early first and there's no guarantee of when that first would be unless you send him to Ottawa and hope they continue to suck.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Taking Garrison, a 2nd, 4th, and Gusev's rights then trading Gusev for a 2nd round pick would be a horrendous deal. McPhee is a good drafter, but a bad trader if you look at history and I wouldn't be surprised if he settles for a 2nd back. Even a first would be bad unless it turns out to be an early first and there's no guarantee of when that first would be unless you send him to Ottawa and hope they continue to suck.

Theres no way Gusev is worth an early first. Zero precedent for it. You may have that opinion of him, but the market sure doesn't share it. I will agree a 2nd not really worth making a trade, but if you have to pay $4m AAV for him before he plays an NHL game there really is no asset value there unless he signing for many years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Theres no way Gusev is worth an early first. Zero precedent for it. You may have that opinion of him, but the market sure doesn't share it. I will agree a 2nd not really worth making a trade, but if you have to pay $4m AAV for him before he plays an NHL game there really is no asset value there unless he signing for many years.

No, signing for many years would make him less valuable, as you could be stuck with a Zaitsev situation. The two year contract makes him more valuable.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Since Neal was traded for Lucic and a conditional 3rd based on goal totals, I don't see why Gusev couldn't fetch a conditional 1st (or more) based off point totals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->