Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The sinbin podcast about Gusev is so dumb. Ok Ken is dumb, Jason is practically calling Ken a moron every 2 minutes. I never listened to their podcast before, but I was driving across town and wanted to hear what their take was about it. I don't know how these guys are friends and how Ken hasn't learned anything about hockey and the nhl yet. I need to apologize to Jesse Granger. He isn't great, but for a guy learning about hockey like Ken, he doesn't come off as a total moron and has said to to me a few times on twitter that he was wrong about a few things I caught in his tweets before. Ken will never admit being wrong to anyone on his page.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Won't he get taxed based on residence while on LTIR? If so he can just stay here and continue coach.

He stayed in Columbus and he's coaching there.

That wild speculation about him not waiving because he's worried about the taxes on the 1m he has owed is unsubstantiated. Seems like NJ fans perpetuate it because they want to get an asset for him.

Looking at Ottawa finalizing their roster, they could be dangerously close to the 60m cap floor if negotiations with White don't go well. They also have a few good prospects on the wing that they should try and get into their lineup.

Last edited:

LV Knight Life

Apr 10, 2019
Clarkson probably had a verbal agreement where he would waive provided he received his $2.25 signing bonus as a member of the Knights. Even if he was dealt to New Jersey
the 9% of $1 million he's owed is less than if he had been traded to a team with a 5% state tax before the bonus was paid. Don't see it as a problem moving forward.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He stayed in Columbus and he's coaching there.

That wild speculation about him not waiving because he's worried about the taxes on the 1m he has owed is unsubstantiated. Seems like NJ fans perpetuate it because they want to get an asset for him.

Looking at Ottawa finalizing their roster, they could be dangerously close to the 60m cap floor if negotiations with White don't go well. They also have a few good prospects on the wing that they should try and get into their lineup.
It's speculation since none of us are privy to his list or decision process, but it isn't wild. State and Canadian tax rules can be complex, and a 5% difference in tax rate means $237,500 assuming 5% agent commission....

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Just going to touch on this and use it as a jumping off point for a VGK question I have.

The Senators are currently at ~$58.5 million in cap expenditures next season. That's with only 10 forwards and 6 defencemen under contract (mind you, that's also with 3 goalies on the roster). The expectation is that Ottawa will bring up another couple of rookie forwards (~1.5 million) while also signing Wolanin on D (~$1.5 million) and White up front (~$2 million unless the term is huge). For these reasons, I think the cap floor issues are kind of overblown for the Senators. Maybe it would have before an issue before bringing in Zaitsev and Hainsey at a combined $8 million cap hit for next season, but that ship seems to have sailed now.

That being said, obviously a bit of buffer space would be nice on the off-chance someone takes Boedkker off the teams hands. Personally, I'd still be interested in adding Clarkson's deal, even if the + isn't as much as Sens fans once hoped. I'm just wondering who y'all think McPhee and McCrimmon will choose to move, given you guys still need to get under the cap (and presumably sign Gusev, Engelland and Subban).

Is it as easy as moving Gusev and/or Clarkson? Will a roster player like Eakin, Reaves or Holden need to be moved out as well?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Just going to touch on this and use it as a jumping off point for a VGK question I have.

The Senators are currently at ~$58.5 million in cap expenditures next season. That's with only 10 forwards and 6 defencemen under contract (mind you, that's also with 3 goalies on the roster). The expectation is that Ottawa will bring up another couple of rookie forwards (~1.5 million) while also signing Wolanin on D (~$1.5 million) and White up front (~$2 million unless the term is huge). For these reasons, I think the cap floor issues are kind of overblown for the Senators. Maybe it would have before an issue before bringing in Zaitsev and Hainsey at a combined $8 million cap hit for next season, but that ship seems to have sailed now.

That being said, obviously a bit of buffer space would be nice on the off-chance someone takes Boedkker off the teams hands. Personally, I'd still be interested in adding Clarkson's deal, even if the + isn't as much as Sens fans once hoped. I'm just wondering who y'all think McPhee and McCrimmon will choose to move, given you guys still need to get under the cap (and presumably sign Gusev, Engelland and Subban).

Is it as easy as moving Gusev and/or Clarkson? Will a roster player like Eakin, Reaves or Holden need to be moved out as well?

You can have Holden. I'll send the limo for him immediately.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You can have Holden. I'll send the limo for him immediately.

The only option that makes any modicum of sense for the Sens is Clarkson. I've just seen some VGK fans talking about "not needing to trade Clarkson" so I'm more interested in what the alternative is (I kind of always assumed moving Holden would be Plan A though).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

You also have to take into account Ottawa may be sellers at the deadline (Hainsey, Pageau, Boedker, Anderson) and they'll be looking to move Condon first chance they get.

It will probably be Holden moved out + a roster forward. Unfortunately everything McPhee is saying points towards that forward being Gusev.

I don't see Holden being difficult to move, and I don't think they're in a hurry to do it so it will probably be on the last days of preseason when teams are looking for waiver pickups.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You also have to take into account Ottawa may be sellers at the deadline (Hainsey, Pageau, Boedker, Anderson) and they'll be looking to move Condon first chance they get.

It will probably be Holden moved out + a roster forward. Unfortunately everything McPhee is saying points towards that forward being Gusev.

I don't see Holden being difficult to move, and I don't think they're in a hurry to do it so it will probably be on the last days of preseason when teams are looking for waiver pickups.

Fair point about needing to be above the floor in order to move players out (hence my continued interest in that Clarkson contract) but I think if push comes to shove they'll just sign some guys to PTO's and keep some of the kids in the AHL a little bit longer. As is they're likely looking to be ~$4 million above the cap floor, so I'm not convinced they'd need to do too much maneuvering.

Tough spot to be in with Gusev, you obviously don't want to sell him now while his value is at it's "lowest" but it's tough for a team over the cap to commit that kind of coin to someone who has yet to play an NHL game.

Assuming McPhee and co. are looking at shipping out Gusev and Holden I don't think the Senators would be a fit. It really does come down to that Clarkson contract for the Sens, adding more bodies (especially at RD) just wouldn't work for this roster.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
It's speculation since none of us are privy to his list or decision process, but it isn't wild. State and Canadian tax rules can be complex, and a 5% difference in tax rate means $237,500 assuming 5% agent commission....
Where does that number come from? The signing bonus should be paid now so he has 1 million left to get paid on his salary. And since it's insured the team will only pay 20%(200k) of that.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Where does that number come from? The signing bonus should be paid now so he has 1 million left to get paid on his salary. And since it's insured the team will only pay 20%(200k) of that.

Apologies, so $50K. The insurance paying 80% of his salary doesn't change his tax situation.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
The sinbin podcast about Gusev is so dumb. Ok Ken is dumb, Jason is practically calling Ken a moron every 2 minutes. I never listened to their podcast before, but I was driving across town and wanted to hear what their take was about it. I don't know how these guys are friends and how Ken hasn't learned anything about hockey and the nhl yet. I need to apologize to Jesse Granger. He isn't great, but for a guy learning about hockey like Ken, he doesn't come off as a total moron and has said to to me a few times on twitter that he was wrong about a few things I caught in his tweets before. Ken will never admit being wrong to anyone on his page.

Yeah a podcast is a bit less forgiving than an article. If they're entertaining then they're generally worth the listen, but too much inaccuracy or me saying "what???" to myself usually means I'm not gonna listen again. I don't really listen to sinbin podcasts for that reason. Actually come to think of it I don't go to his website either. It's good media for casual fans who want a brief moment of team info and entertainment though.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah a podcast is a bit less forgiving than an article. If they're entertaining then they're generally worth the listen, but too much inaccuracy or me saying "what???" to myself usually means I'm not gonna listen again. I don't really listen to sinbin podcasts for that reason. Actually come to think of it I don't go to his website either. It's good media for casual fans who want a brief moment of team info and entertainment though.

Ken's articles are pretty cringeworthy, too, and his tweets are.....oof.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

As a SinBin critic myself I do think you're being just a touch too harsh, but this is a solid point. Every point Ken makes is a hill he's willing to die on. That's why he hasn't learned anything. He's way way too confident in his own opinions. As a reporter of quotes and developments I'd honestly go as far as to say he's one of the best in the business. But when he decides to speculate or opine, 70% of the time he's wrong and the newer fans of the game eat his horseshit up and replicate the same broken logic.

Edit: also the most annoying part is when he's clearly wrong and people tell him why on Twitter. He refuses to see that he is and why he is wrong. Last time I ever bothered was when he was going on about pulling the goalie five minutes into the third period. He was so arrogantly confident that it was not only a good idea but that it HAD to be done, and nothing I said could convince him otherwise. Trying to convince a tiger to convert to veganism would have been a better use of my time.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
As a SinBin critic myself I do think you're being just a touch too harsh, but this is a solid point. Every point Ken makes is a hill he's willing to die on. That's why he hasn't learned anything. He's way way too confident in his own opinions. As a reporter of quotes and developments I'd honestly go as far as to say he's one of the best in the business. But when he decides to speculate or opine, 70% of the time he's wrong and the newer fans of the game eat his horse**** up and replicate the same broken logic.

Edit: also the most annoying part is when he's clearly wrong and people tell him why on Twitter. He refuses to see that he is and why he is wrong. Last time I ever bothered was when he was going on about pulling the goalie five minutes into the third period. He was so arrogantly confident that it was not only a good idea but that it HAD to be done, and nothing I said could convince him otherwise. Trying to convince a tiger to convert to veganism would have been a better use of my time.

I was really bored and I didn't feel like listening to music on the crosstown drive so I figured why not. I was curious to hear their opinions. What's sad is that Ken isn't getting better at all at hockey analysis and he's the main writer. Jason knows hockey and he really rails into Ken about how dumb some of his opinions are. I was just surprised that he wasn't getting angry in the podcast even when being told that some of his thoughts were stupid. I know for sure he'd go off on twitter and his site in replies if the same thing was said to him. I was banned for awhile because I told him how stupid it was to overpay Reaves, Fleury, and Holden and he said what's wrong with overpaying a few fan favorites and I told him every dollar counts because you never know when you'll need that cap space and look where we are right now. Reaves and Holden won't be easy to trade and it will cost the team draft picks as a sweetener. And next years draft is deep so I really wouldn't want to give up the draft ammo that has been built up for next season. But if that means keeping Gusev to a deal where both sides are happy so be it. Gusev can help the team make a deep run. Draft picks won't impact the team for years and who knows what the window will be like by the time they are seasoned and called up. This team seems to overcook prospects so I feel that taking advantage of the current window is still more important if I have to choose between going for it now over long term future I'm choosing going for it. If Gusev is on the roster, I really like their chances to represent the west.

When I followed the Avs for two decades, I thought that Dater was one of the worst in the business, then we got a team and our local guys set a new standard for bad hockey hot takes. But I think Dater is intentionally trying to be the Stephen A Smith of hockey in Denver.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For those of you out there rubbing nickels together to try to find room for Gusev, another thing to keep in mind...

Yes and no.

DDa7AjfXkAAM68p.jpg

The $5.37 million in bonuses earned by Leafs players is the highest since the Pittsburgh Penguins of 2007-08 ($6.1 million), and therefore the second highest in NHL history. Five Leafs rookies hit performance bonus benchmarks this year: Auston Matthews, William Nylander, Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, and Mitch Marner. For more on their specific bonus achievements, check out this Chris Johnston piece from late in the season.

All $5.37 million directly translates into an overage charge due to the Leafs’ use of Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) on the Nathan Horton contract throughout the season. As teams are technically over the cap while using LTIR – they’re simply receiving relief for the dollars above the cap up until the full amount of the injured players’ cap hit – it means the Leafs are now on the hook for that amount in 2017-18. Unused LTIR dollars cannot go towards covering bonuses, as they’re applied retroactively.

The cocktail of LTIR and performance bonuses has produced this kind of result before: In Boston in 2013-14, the bonuses achieved by Jarome Iginla (who was given a bonus-laden deal to fit him under the cap) plus the LTIR relief used on Marc Savard meant that the Bruins were slapped with a $4.75 million overage charge, eventually forcing then-GM Peter Chiarelli to deal defenceman Johnny Boychuk to relieve his cap bind in October of 2014. Chiarelli was fired at the end of the season.
Toronto Maple Leafs slapped with $5.37 million bonus overage penalty for 2017-18 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
For those of you out there rubbing nickels together to try to find room for Gusev, another thing to keep in mind...

ELS bonus. (Not out-injured long enough for performance bonuses, nor 35+ to earn bonuses.)

Bonuses DO go against cap (until they cannot be achieved). However, earned/performance bonuses (NOT signing bonuses) can be rolled over to subsequent season (decreasing available cap in that season).

Interesting. I wonder if this means we could offer Gusev 1M salary 2.5M bonuses and eat the bonus against next year's cap...ignoring the LTIR sitch for a moment....

Nope. Only ELS or 35+/UFA contracts can get performance bonuses.

What about Engelland reaching all his 4m in bonuses like Iginla? :naughty:

Only until they cannot be achieved.

For instance, let's say one of the bonuses is for 60 (RS) games played. If he's out injured 25 games, he won't make that performance bonus, so it comes off the cap.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
ELS bonus. (Not out-injured long enough for performance bonuses, nor 35+ to earn bonuses.)

Bonuses DO go against cap (until they cannot be achieved). However, earned/performance bonuses (NOT signing bonuses) can be rolled over to subsequent season (decreasing available cap in that season).

Even if we have a player on LTIR?

ETA: I guess this is the scenario where it matters...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
As much as it would suck to lose Gusev, keep Jack Dugan in mind. If he goes back to college for another year, he can join VGK for a playoff run when his season is over.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad