Confirmed with Link: Gusev traded to Devils for picks 2020 3rd; 2021 2nd

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Trying to prepare players for the NHL makes a better league than trying to win? Also to suggest that the best KHL teams like CSKA are "just a little bit better than AHL teams" is utterly ridiculous. Rather the best of the AHL could perhaps survive against the worst of the KHL, Charlotte versus Cherepovets could be reasonably tight, but it's not like the AHL is a league of much parity either.

Total nonsense. Take out the top four teams and their signings are guys that are barely AHL quality. Guys who are in the KHL and Europe because they couldn't get a good AHL contract. And your English must be bad or something because trying to prepare players for the NHL makes AHL WORSE than they could be. Just go check out some of the posts in our team's AHL thread, we have fans of the Chicago team that get mad when players get called up to the NHL. Chicago exists so the NHL team can be better. If the AHL was focused on just winning and not preparing players, they would have far more complex systems and players signed for those systems. Instead AHL teams sign a handful of guys just not quite NHL level and hope they do well enough to get bought out for a profit. Most of those guys would be stars in the KHL.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Players coming to the KHL from North America do so because they didn't have opportunities available in the NHL. A player not good enough for the AHL can perhaps dream of playing in Great Britain or the German second league.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
When the Clarkson contract ends we should throw some sort of celebration signifying the greatness of the moment.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Devils make a lot of sense as a trade partner. They're going for it, they have tons of cap space and they have a lot of good pieces. Vatanen 50%, Bratt, Wood, Coleman, Bastian.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
We paid Shipachyov 4.5 for 2 years when he was older and had proven less. Salary cap was not what the number is now.

He was a UFA and we were an expansion franchise but the market isn't as low as you make it for a 2 year deal.

Dadonov signed for 3 years at an AAV of 4. If Gusev is comparable to him, which I absolutely think he is, on a 2 year deal he deserves 4 as well. Gusev started going PPG in the K a year or two younger than Dado, and he's younger right now. Yes, Dadonov had some N/A experience, but it wasn't much.

They are very similar players. Elite skill. Questions about skating, compete, and defense (though I think it's bullshit every Russian gets questioned on the later two.) VGK has enough good defensive forwards to fill out the PK. If there's a guy out there with the chance to put up 50-60 points, you make room for him.

Secondary scoring is at a premium for contending teams. You own the rights to a guy that can provide that. Maybe even drive a line by himself. Holden + Clarkson should be shipped to the moon. Hell, if it meant 1 more million in cap, let Engo go and let one of Schuldt, Hague, Whitecloud, or Bischoff take his spot on an ELC.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Everyone keeps forgetting that tidbit of info. Clarkson still has a modified NTC. Trading him won't be as easy as it sounds.

Why would he deny any trade? If GM asks him to waive for Afghanistan, why wouldn't he? He gets his money wherever. He's never playing again so whatever team trades for doesn't even matter.

Even if you're the biggest optimist in the world and thinks he may make a comeback, it's not coming in the next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Expect something this week, or next at the latest.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-vegas-golden-knights-considering-trading-nikita-gusev-1.1331735

Everything McPhee has been saying points towards him preferring to keep Eakin and Reaves, and move out Holden. They believe they should have gone all the way with that forward group last year and I don't think they want to do much tinkering to the opening night roster.

I bet Buffalo was the team Pierre Lebrun kept mentioning was asking about a Gusev-Miller package. They just added Vesey but may still be looking for another winger.

What would Vegas be looking for in return? Not that I expect Botterill to make an effort, but humor me for a moment.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Why would he deny any trade? If GM asks him to waive for Afghanistan, why wouldn't he? He gets his money wherever. He's never playing again so whatever team trades for doesn't even matter.

Even if you're the biggest optimist in the world and thinks he may make a comeback, it's not coming in the next year.

Income taxes :naughty:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
What would Vegas be looking for in return? Not that I expect Botterill to make an effort, but humor me for a moment.

I know Buff (as an OTT fan) is done rebuilding, but it's been said Risto is on the block. 5.4 is hard to fit into the cap, but is it possible Gusev + 1st + whatever else is needed is in the same realm of value?

Ristolainen would fit perfectly into the D-core as a #3 on a contending team. Leading the 2nd pair, he would kill it.

Also, following Buffalo a bit, Pilut would be an absolute low key A level pickup. Rookie defenseman, and a rookie to N/A, putting up 26 points in 30 games in the AHL is insane. 1 to 1 isn't crazy in my mind.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know Buff (as an OTT fan) is done rebuilding, but it's been said Risto is on the block. 5.4 is hard to fit into the cap, but is it possible Gusev + 1st + whatever else is needed is in the same realm of value?

Ristolainen would fit perfectly into the D-core as a #3 on a contending team. Leading the 2nd pair, he would kill it.

Also, following Buffalo a bit, Pilut would be an absolute low key A level pickup. Rookie defenseman, and a rookie to N/A, putting up 26 points in 30 games in the AHL is insane. 1 to 1 isn't crazy in my mind.

I can't see Vegas having the room to add Ristolainen if the issue with Gusev is available cap space.

As for Pilut, funny you mention him since he's the only partner who Ristolainen has ever gotten to an even corsi with in his entire tenure in Buffalo. He's got a lot of ability, but he's coming off a shoulder surgery that will keep him out of the lineup until about the end of November. I don't know if Buffalo would be at all willing to part with him on a roll of the dice with Gusev. Most Sabre fans have him pencilled in behind Dahlin as the 2nd pair LHD.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If Gusev was not going to be signed, they should have known earlier. This is poor planning if he goes at this point.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If his contract demands are really only 4 x 2, then this is a massive failure by McPhee.

Reactions: derriko

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
If his contract demands are really only 4 x 2, then this is a massive failure by McPhee.
McCrimmon is at play too, here. He may not be willing to trade the players he needs to trade to add Gusev. This franchise has a strong preference for WHL players.

And the saddest thing is we don’t have a player as offensively talented as Gusev. Why wouldn’t you want a flashy Gaudreau type player in Vegas?

This is a potential 1st line winger. It’s not like we have an abundance of true 1st line Ws on the roster,

Last edited:
Reactions: ChanceVegas

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Oh really?

All Mcphee has to do is kidnap him and lock him in a room and constantly play Justin Bieber songs at full blast until he waives his NTC.

Russians jam Bieber while they smoke fake cubans and snort coke during intermissions... That might backfire.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Everyone keeps forgetting that tidbit of info. Clarkson still has a modified NTC. Trading him won't be as easy as it sounds.

Every team is right up to the floor except for Ottawa and Colorado. The Avs will get a deal done with Rantanen and a few others and be past the floor. The Sens only need a few million, but could use the Clarkson contract. Everyone else is there so trading just doesn't seem likely and if he indeed has Ottawa on his NTC this whole idea of trading him is pretty much done. Even if Ottawa is not on his list, the Sens could just give out one more veteran deal and be at the floor.

Time to forget about Clarkson deal, the team is probably 95% likely to LTIR. Even if they do it has no impact on Gusev signing a deal. If $4m AAV is the number he demands there was never a real way to get there without trading assets clearly the Knights don't want to trade. And once again, while this forum acts like they know of some easy solutions, you really have no idea whats going on behind the scenes. Its very easy for his agent to say you don't really want to be in Vegas, you'll be fighting for a spot on the third line in the season or two you will need to justify a huge UFA deal. If that's the case the easy way out is to put in a high demand and not budge on it until you are traded. Lots of teams would have him pretty much locked into a 2nd line spot and he could rise to 1st line with some good play. In Vegas he's gotta beat out Pirri for the job, which doesn't seem like a difficult task, but he's starting from way behind in locking down that spot in that he doesn't know the teammates and hasn't played against NHL defenses. Pirri has.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Every team is right up to the floor except for Ottawa and Colorado. The Avs will get a deal done with Rantanen and a few others and be past the floor. The Sens only need a few million, but could use the Clarkson contract. Everyone else is there so trading just doesn't seem likely and if he indeed has Ottawa on his NTC this whole idea of trading him is pretty much done. Even if Ottawa is not on his list, the Sens could just give out one more veteran deal and be at the floor.

Time to forget about Clarkson deal, the team is probably 95% likely to LTIR. Even if they do it has no impact on Gusev signing a deal. If $4m AAV is the number he demands there was never a real way to get there without trading assets clearly the Knights don't want to trade. And once again, while this forum acts like they know of some easy solutions, you really have no idea whats going on behind the scenes. Its very easy for his agent to say you don't really want to be in Vegas, you'll be fighting for a spot on the third line in the season or two you will need to justify a huge UFA deal. If that's the case the easy way out is to put in a high demand and not budge on it until you are traded. Lots of teams would have him pretty much locked into a 2nd line spot and he could rise to 1st line with some good play. In Vegas he's gotta beat out Pirri for the job, which doesn't seem like a difficult task, but he's starting from way behind in locking down that spot in that he doesn't know the teammates and hasn't played against NHL defenses. Pirri has.

I don't think Pirri has a thing on Gusev, that is not a good comparable. Gusev has apparently stated a desire to be a Golden Knight, according to reports. 4 is not a high number and I'm sure he would budge a bit.

If the choice is Eakin one year at almost 4 to walk or Gusev two years at almost 4 to walk, the choice should be obvious who they should trade. Unless someone is offering a great prospect for Gusev.

Reactions: derriko

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The hype for this guy who has not played a single NHL game is outstanding. lol
He and Kaprizov might the best players in that category you describe. They are also NHL ready and no teen prospects. The hype is justified.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The hype for this guy who has not played a single NHL game is outstanding. lol
Dadonov after playing out his ELC where he did nothing special returned to the KHL to make his NHL comeback after many years at 27. Gusev has been better than him everywhere that they have both played.

Dadonov got a 4x3 with NMC the first 2 years followed by a modified NMC. So the hype really isn't outstanding. There's also Panarin who went to the NHL when he was worse than Gusev is right now, and Radulov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->