Trade Willy or Mitch?

• Willy

Votes: 33 18.5%
  • Mitch

Votes: 145 81.5%

• Total voters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I year younger is significant when choosing. Same as skill it is a factor. Marner has more points in regular season and playoffs so you keep him over willy.
Mitch is a year younger and has more points, but Willy has more skill and is the better player.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leaf solution. Trade all your picks, lose first round and let Willy walk cause he got offered $12.5M elsewhere.This isnt a sentimental decision, it's math.Treveling has to make a tough choice and if he is wrong, they all get fired.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Let's just say your opinion seems to be the minorty one.
Well posters on here have proven they know nothing about judging hockey players. Most on here said Morgan Rielly was a 3rd pairing d man or worse a forward last year. Which was a joke a very bad joke.

Marner is vastly superior to Nylander. Cost us a point tonight

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No wonder people dislike our board so much looking at the results of this vote is a major reason. Marner is so much better yet most on here want to trade him over Nylander...year after year Marner out produces him and will again this year and people still think Nylander is better....newsflash he is not!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well posters on here have proven they know nothing about judging hockey players. Most on here said Morgan Rielly was a 3rd pairing d man or worse a forward last year. Which was a joke a very bad joke.

Marner is vastly superior to Nylander. Cost us a point tonight
Mitch wasn't very good, but I don't think it's fair to blame him for the loss.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No wonder people dislike our board so much looking at the results of this vote is a major reason. Marner is so much better yet most on here want to trade him over Nylander...year after year Marner out produces him and will again this year and people still think Nylander is better....newsflash he is not!
Marner's great during the regular season and the first few games of the playoffs but then he drops off a cliff.

Marner's career playoff production
=====================
Games 1-4 - 1.19 PPG
Games 5-7 - 0.47 PPG

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Year after year Marner gets premium minutes with Matthews ,for example last year he played on average 24:08 compared to Nylanders 18:45.

Mitch is playing significantly more minutes in playoffs. Nylander is superior to Marner in playoffs. Mover point per /60 , significantly more goals.

btw stats from 2017-18 - 2022- 23

Marner 22:24 vs 17:48 Nylander

Tell me more about Marner out-producing Nylander please.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So funny to see any proposals involving Matthews always being met with scorn, childish insults and general hate.

We have won 1 playoff round, yes 1 round, and were lucky to do so, in how many years?

How many more times getting bounced like an old rubber ball is it going to take to see that nobody, but nobody on this team is "untouchable?"

Even Gretzky got traded and thats after 4 Stanley's because Pocklington, through whatever malfeasence and the NHLs desire to sell the game in the states had a moment of Kismet. Off to LA like Bob's yer Uncle. No fears, no tears, and nobody looked back.

While the Leafs could afford a payroll of 110m, the salary cap says no, and it's a hard no. That hard no means zero flexibility, no flexibility means the Leafs will find themselves on this same madding treadmill until something changes. That very treadmill spells mediocrity for the club and it's fans will have to live with it.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
The Leaf solution. Trade all your picks, lose first round and let Willy walk cause he got offered $12.5M elsewhere.This isnt a sentimental decision, it's math.Treveling has to make a tough choice and if he is wrong, they all get fired.
If somebody offers Willy 12.5 Tre better not even consider matching that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He shot the puck over the glass 5 years ago though. :laugh:

I don’t think there are many that take some of these fans opinions seriously. Pretty ignorant in their understanding of the game.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We have to make some choice. We are trying to win a cup not dazzle with reg season stats when the games are easy. Marner isn't a big playoff producer.Far better than Marner have been traded after doing far more. You need to get over some sentimental attachment to players. This teams hand will get forced.

If somebody offers Willy 12.5 Tre better not even consider matching that.
He can't match that. This team was misbuilt. There are consequences to firing Lou and letting some kid who never played hockey take over.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I’d trade Mitch in a heartbeat.

What could we get for him? I'd love to know his worth. Who are some potential targets that we could get for Marner?

Who is the best defenseman we could get?

Provorov?
Theodore?
Power?

What about a very different type of forward?

Brady Tkachuk (Ottawa would laugh)
Tom Wilson (plus a pick maybe?)

I have wanted to get away from Marner's contract since he signed it, he just doesn't do it for me. He's responsible defensively and a great passer, but nothing more. He is physically weak and doesn't show up in the big moments. I have seen no improvement in his game, and he may even be getting worse. I need a lot more for $11 million.

Now Nylander on the other hand, has shown steady improvement over the last few seasons. He's in a contract season, sure, but he's been trending up for years. He can be frustratingly inconsistent, especially defensively, and at times his effort level is questionable. However, there are other moments when he is a one man wrecking crew and singlehandedly turns a game upside with skills only very few others have.

Nylander is trending up and is a finisher. Marner's growth is stagnant at best, and he typically relies on someone else to finish his plays. I'd definitely trade Marner before Nylander, but I think most of us are over estimating Marner's worth and we'd be disappointed with the return. Tre really should have unloaded him when he we had the chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad