Gulutz-end

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
BPMlc9f.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He either gets fired in the immediate future or at the end of the season.

By the ASG rolls around, there's no time to learn a new system. Any firings around then would mean that we're too far out of a playoff spot for it to matter. Treliving is more proactive than that

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That doesn't align with what I am seeing in a number of posts on our board.
Eh, don't see a whole lot of posters saying he's about to be fired any moment now. But a lot of people are hoping he's fired eventually. Sooner would be better though.

A lot of people desperately want to trade Brodie and Bennett too but there's nothing to suggest Treliving is that rash.

Edit: Okay there's one. But I'm pretty sure they want to trade the whole team multiple times over. Wouldn't say it means a whole lot.

Rationally, people should realize what is Treliving is. He has a history that above all indicates he isn't going to panic.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
my only hope is hes not back next year, based on our play rn, we will prob squeeze into the playoffs and get knocked out early. My main issue with gully is the lack of adjustment and literally no improvements since last year

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Eh, don't see a whole lot of posters saying he's about to be fired any moment now. But a lot of people are hoping he's fired eventually. Sooner would be better though.

A lot of people desperately want to trade Brodie and Bennett too but there's nothing to suggest Treliving is that rash.

Edit: Okay there's one. But I'm pretty sure they want to trade the whole multiple times over. Wouldn't say it means a whole lot.

Rationally, people should realize what is Treliving is. He has a history that above all indicates he isn't going to panic.

Fair enough.

I completely agree regarding Treliving. I don't forsee him panicking and so I don't expect we will see many changes until the off-season.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
He needs to go imo, listening to him after the game, it's just soft excuse making, zero intensity. I don't have faith in him as coach anymore. I don't blame it all on him, players are messing up, but it's his job to get this team rolling, and without Johnny and especially Smith, we would be in the in the basement.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If a big-name coach shakes loose, I think we should consider looking at them. Starting to believe that whoever described GG as a better assistant coach than head coach was spot on

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He either gets fired in the immediate future or at the end of the season.

By the ASG rolls around, there's no time to learn a new system. Any firings around then would mean that we're too far out of a playoff spot for it to matter. Treliving is more proactive than that
The reason I say ASG, is because I am 100% sure the replacement will be Cameron should they fire Gully.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Ah so blaming Gulutzan is the thing we are going to do for any young players that don't quite meet expectations.
Apparently blaming Gulutzan is what we do for all of the players who fail to play properly. Because clearly he's the one who told both D to pinch deep in the Oilers zone, leaving a lone Monahan to vaguely cover the point. He's the one telling Brodie to make soft passes up the boards that get picked off. And he's obviously the one telling Smith to have a wide open five hole when the puck is in the low slot.

Do people seriously think it's the coaching staff's fault that a bunch of multimillionarie athletes can't pull their shit together and make good on-ice decisions? You think GG decided in the offseason "Hey, since my systems worked pretty wel last year, maybe I'll completely abandon them this year'?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
His systems didn't work pretty well last season. We finished 8th in the conference and were swept out in 4 games very easily last year. That is at best ok and far from good.

Sure there are more issues than just the coach but it is possible that the players are making bad decisions and the coach is doing a bad job. Saying fire GG isn't absolving the players of the poor play that they have had so far this year it is acknowledging that GG has done a terrible job.

I hate going to "fire the coach" especially mid-season as I think the instability it causes often is worse than keeping a questionable guy but for 1.5 years now we have seen bad decision making in terms of lines, players in and out of the line-up, break-outs, PP systems and make-up and preparedness of the team. Now that doesn't 100% fall on GG but for the most part his bad decisions are leading us to lacking in all those departments.

I don't think it will happen because sport executives (hockey especially and Treliving even more than most hockey guys) tend to take the safe route which is keeping the coach. They tend to be overly loyal and wait a year too long than a year too early (to steal a Belicheat motto). But I do think GG should be fired immediately. There is way too much evidence showing he is doing a bad job and has at no point in his career done much of a good job and nothing that I have seen over the past two years to indicate that he will improve or that he has done anything to warrant not getting fired.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
One reason why Treliving may pull the trigger early is that we traded away an unprotected 1st in what looks like will be a pretty good draft. If we keep playing like a middling team in this weak-ass division, I don't think Treliving will hesitate to look for a replacement.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We aren’t playing Gulutzans system. This is on the players.

Gulutzans system is good. His player usage is questionable. But he has a good system.

His system is ultra defensive. We have been playing run n gun hockey of late.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Gulutzans system is good. His player usage is questionable. But he has a good system.

Based on what are his systems good?

2 years in Dallas both non-play-offs

3 years as an assistant in Vancouver 2 non-play-offs, 1 terrible 1st round performance

Last year 8th in the conference and a terrible 1st round performance.

So his time in the NHL as a coach and assistant has produced 4 non-play-offs and 2 1st rounds with terrible performances in each. His time in the minors is OK but far from great.

What evidence is there to say that his systems are good or that he is a good coach. Because looking at his record it certainly isn't there and that can't always be on the players can it?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

Watching certainly tells a different story. And so does looking at the fact we are 23rd in goals against average.

I’m sorry, but if this “ultra defensive” systems leads to those results, they probably shouldn’t be described as good.

The defensive zone is a tire fire, some of its player performance, and some of it is clearly systems.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
His systems didn't work pretty well last season. We finished 8th in the conference and were swept out in 4 games very easily last year. That is at best ok and far from good.

This is just a flawed premise which invalidates the entire post. Once the team started playing his system last year, they had either the best or second-best record in the league from that point on, IIRC. Even if I don't remember correctly, it was an amazing record including a 10-game win streak where the team was dominant and looked like they were going to win every time they hit the ice.

Secondly, they weren't swept very easily at all. Many third party pundits agreed that the Flames played better hockey than the Ducks during the series. The reason it ended up looking so easy for them was because the type of chances they had to generate in order to score (gain the zone with possession and throw it on net from anywhere) were far easier than the type of chances we had to generate in order to score (actually dangerous chances). Any team would be hard pressed to win under those circumstances.

Reactions: Bronco Horvat

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Watching certainly tells a different story. And so does looking at the fact we are 23rd in goals against average.

I’m sorry, but if this “ultra defensive” systems leads to those results, they probably shouldn’t be described as good.

The defensive zone is a tire fire, some of its player performance, and some of it is clearly systems.

Again. We aren’t playing his system. We are basically just doing whatever the heck we want. There is no team play right now. We aren’t playing his system, and that’s why we are a disaster defensively.

Not because of his system. We were one of the best teams in the NHL defensively the last 60 games with Chad Johnson and Brian Elliot. Was that pure luck?

We’ve been caught with 3 men high sooooo many times this year. Gulutzans system like the top two guys to attack. The third guy hangs back to prevent the counter attack. We aren’t doing that this year.

Add that to a bunch of turnovers, and mediocre goaltending, and it’s no surprise we are a disaster in our own zone.

When this team plays it’s game they are as good as anyone. Yet we always seem to suck until this time of year anyway. This year is no different.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is just a flawed premise which invalidates the entire post. Once the team started playing his system last year, they had either the best or second-best record in the league from that point on, IIRC. Even if I don't remember correctly, it was an amazing record including a 10-game win streak where the team was dominant and looked like they were going to win every time they hit the ice.

Secondly, they weren't swept very easily at all. Many third party pundits agreed that the Flames played better hockey than the Ducks during the series. The reason it ended up looking so easy for them was because the type of chances they had to generate in order to score (gain the zone with possession and throw it on net from anywhere) were far easier than the type of chances we had to generate in order to score (actually dangerous chances). Any team would be hard pressed to win under those circumstances.

Who decided that we only started to play his system once things started to go well? And even if that is true (which seems unlikely) why weren't we playing that system earlier and how is that not GG's fault that he couldn't implement it earlier?

Also how come that good play from his system is the exception and not the rule during his coaching tenure in the league?

As of the Anaheim series I have heard all the excuses I can't see how anyone can say the Flames were the better team in that series at all and really when you lose 4 games straight after a pretty pedestrian season I am not sure it matters all that much if you may have won the meaningless "played better hockey." Maybe in a close 7 game series I could see that but in a 4 game sweep? I don't think so.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Again. We aren’t playing his system. We are basically just doing whatever the heck we want. There is no team play right now. We aren’t playing his system, and that’s why we are a disaster defensively.

If this is true (and like I said above how to we determine that we aren't playing his system? seems like for GG fanboys it is only when we win we play his system) how is that not 100% GG's fault?

If he can't get the team to play his system isn't that as bad or worse than having a bad system?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m not a GG fanboy, but I also know enough about hockey to see they are not executing his system right now.

We are just playing bad hockey. But it won’t be long until we snap out of it and the bipolar people on this site start dancing on tables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad