Gulutz-end

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Coaches do tend to lean on vets, as seen from most bitching from fanbases... the only ones who tend to really run with it are Chicago and Pittsburgh.
1) Because they have to due to cap constraints
2) Because they have elite level skill to insulate them

I like our systems, and I think this team can still find another gear... but in all honesty, Gulutzan needs to remember that 4th liners and 3rd pairing are just that. If you're dedicated to playing Bartkowski, he has to only be on the ice when another teams' 4th line is out there and you've got forward positioning, otherwise he's going to hurt you. Versteeg had a good offensive night at times there, but there's no reason the guy should be playing more minutes than your entire third line. The way Jagr/Bannett/Janko started the game, I thought the earned more icetime than they got.

Also, Matt Tkachuk is our most offensively dynamic player not named Gaudreau; he should be playing more than 15 minutes a night.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Honest question, when GG gets canned, does he ever get hired as NHL HC? Back to being an assistant gully, he's out od his depth as a head coach, simply not capable to adjust fast enough.

insaini

Nov 17, 2012
Just watched the Lightning Vs Sharks game and was really impressed with the way the lightning play! They're fast, up-tempo, and always pressuring the opponent to force a turnover.

After watching the game, I'm more in agreement to fire GG. We play slow, give opposition too much space to make plays, little to no pressure on the puck carrier, and very little offence. Also, benching prospects in favour of vets. The new NHL is fast and in your face, something Calgary has moved away from. We need more speed in our lineup and more pressure to the puck carrier, with at least 1 other player supporting.

We need a mix of Hartley's system with the speed and pressure, with GG's heavy possession system to be dominant in this league. Just don't know which coach is available that brings those elements to our team if GG was to leave.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Just watched the Lightning Vs Sharks game and was really impressed with the way the lightning play! They're fast, up-tempo, and always pressuring the opponent to force a turnover.

After watching the game, I'm more in agreement to fire GG. We play slow, give opposition too much space to make plays, little to no pressure on the puck carrier, and very little offence. Also, benching prospects in favour of vets. The new NHL is fast and in your face, something Calgary has moved away from. We need more speed in our lineup and more pressure to the puck carrier, with at least 1 other player supporting.

We need a mix of Hartley's system with the speed and pressure, with GG's heavy possession system to be dominant in this league. Just don't know which coach is available that brings those elements to our team if GG was to leave.

Mac.jpg

Under MacLean, the Sens were constantly one of the best teams in the league in generating chances, their only issue was giving up a ton of chances, which is why in the earlier Karlsson years Karlsson was lauded to be an one dimensional player despite being an insane possession monster and generating chances like crazy.

Still they generated more chances than they gave up.

Reactions: TychoFan

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Mac.jpg

Under MacLean, the Sens were constantly one of the best teams in the league in generating chances, their only issue was giving up a ton of chances, which is why in the earlier Karlsson years Karlsson was lauded to be an one dimensional player despite being an insane possession monster and generating chances like crazy.

Still they generated more chances than they gave up.

As someone who watched nearly every single game of the Maclean era, you have some serious rose coloured glasses.

Yes there were games where they generated more chances, but there were plenty of games where his defensive system made Hartley's look structured.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He is starting to work his "magic" on Jankowski. Benched him against the Devils for one small mistake and now he has Janko second guessing things.

I lol every time I see someone bring up "Gulutzan is great coach for the young players" (not necessarily here, but other Flames forums). Guy has completely destroyed Bennett after Hartley got a great rookie campaign out of him (36 points) and is now starting to destroy Janko and with Rasmus coming in tonight, he'll be next. Even Gaudreau and Monahan, yeah they are playing great, but they still don't get enough ice-time.

Bennett plays great under Hartley with Backs and Frolik, so Gully takes him off their line, gives him his own line (fair enough) then sticks Brouwer, Versteeg and Chiasson as his linemates for the year.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yep. Gulutzan is just the new scapegoat.

I guess his success with Tkachuk, Ferland, getting Gaudreau to take another step forward, Backlund going to another level, Hamilton taking a huge step forward, and even recently Kulak taking a step forward and EARNING his ice time doesn't count.

Gulutzan is not perfect. No coach in the NHL is. But the way certain people are talking about him here lately is just overkill.

The fact that people are moaning about missing Hartley and how he developed the kids is hilarious. How many young kids did Hartley find a reason to bench again? Bartschi comes to mind easily.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I find it funny that we have the most expensive 4th line in the league and they still get massacred by other teams 4th lines.

The fact that people are moaning about missing Hartley and how he developed the kids is hilarious. How many young kids did Hartley find a reason to bench again? Bartschi comes to mind easily.

I really didn't think Baertschi deserved to be sent down in Monahans rookie season. I thought he was one of the better players on a crap roster. Especially seeing as every one of the LWs missed significant time that season.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yep. Gulutzan is just the new scapegoat.

I guess his success with Tkachuk, Ferland, getting Gaudreau to take another step forward, Backlund going to another level, Hamilton taking a huge step forward, and even recently Kulak taking a step forward and EARNING his ice time doesn't count.

Gulutzan is not perfect. No coach in the NHL is. But the way certain people are talking about him here lately is just overkill.

Young player succeeds: "Goes to show how good he is that not even [coach du jour] was able to ruin him."

Young player fails: "He would be so good if it wasn't for [coach du jour]."

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I personally blame Gulutzan for all of Bennett’s problems. I think the fact that he is twice Bennett’s age and has twice the amount of hair, is affecting his confidence. He needs to go.

Reactions: Cyrano

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Joe Colborne also stopped producing when he was taken off Backlund's line, guess that was Gulutzan too eh?

Wrong. Here is Colborne when taken off Backlund's line, producing, on Bennett's line, except Gulutzan wasn't coach or this would have been a fail play because Bennett would have dumped it in or something Gully-like-that:

and this one:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wrong. Here is Colborne when taken off Backlund's line, producing, on Bennett's line, except Gulutzan wasn't coach or this would have been a fail play because Bennett would have dumped it in or something Gully-like-that:
Huh? Bennett's biggest problem this season has been turning the puck over at the blueline, whether because he tries to beat a guy 1-on-1 or because he tries to make a pass after he's already skated into a deffensive trap. If anything, more dump-ins would mitigate that issue.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Huh? Bennett's biggest problem this season has been turning the puck over at the blueline, whether because he tries to beat a guy 1-on-1 or because he tries to make a pass after he's already skated into a deffensive trap. If anything, more dump-ins would mitigate that issue.

Exactly. He often stops. Looks for a play. And then loses it after trying to dangle. If the play isn’t there just chip it into a corner that is going to make it difficult for a d man to retrieve. Get on your horse and get the puck back.

When you do that you can often catch dmen and forwards out of position.

That’s why it’s been an effective play since the start of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad