Guilliaume Latendresse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Provided he consistently shows a mean side, he can be an effective first line winger who has more assists than goals.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Provided he consistently shows a mean side, he can be an effective first line winger who has more assists than goals.

What type of production should he be able to show? Goals and point wise.

NewHabsEra*

Russian_fanatic said:
What type of production do you expect from this kid in the NHL? Who would you compare his game to? Would he be a reach at #10?

He plays of power foward type of game, has good hands, goes in traffic and crash the net with authority... I really like his grit and determination.

Could be compared to Gary Roberts.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Leachmeister2000 said:
Do you think that he is a Hugh Jessiman-clone, or do you think he plays a different game? And would he be able to play well with Jessiman (Will there styles mesh well?), if the Rangers drafted him?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The main thing is that who ever drafts him HAS to be patient with him. He may not be a top 2 line player in the NHL until he is 24 or 25 but the patients will pay off for a team much like it did with Bertuzzi.

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
The main thing is that who ever drafts him HAS to be patient with him. He may not be a top 2 line player in the NHL until he is 24 or 25 but the patients will pay off for a team much like it did with Bertuzzi.

.....and by that time he'll be a year or two away from Free agent status, making his draft stock fall IMO.

For your Keeper league drafting, the UFA age means nothing, but for NHL teams it will start to factor more and more on these "Project" type players.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think the new UFA ages will be that big of a deal. If a guy like Latendresse pans out, the team will do what it takes to keep him. If they have too many players in a similar situation, that's a NICE PROBLEM to have.

In fact, if Latendresse pans out he'll be a 'keeper' both in our own fantasy leagues and also on his NHL team.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
He seems to be a Hugh Jessiman-clone. I think that Latendresse will be a player that surprises some and goes earlier than expected. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go top ten...

Last edited by a moderator:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Tiki said:
.....and by that time he'll be a year or two away from Free agent status, making his draft stock fall IMO.

For your Keeper league drafting, the UFA age means nothing, but for NHL teams it will start to factor more and more on these "Project" type players.

He wont get signed and play Pro until he is 20 so the 7 year rule wont kick in and he will be a FA at age 27 by then...even so, its hard to say how the FA will work by that time and i gave a conservative esitmate of age 25...he could be there sooner, but bottomline is teams will need to exercise patients.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
He wont get signed and play Pro until he is 20 so the 7 year rule wont kick in and he will be a FA at age 27 by then...even so, its hard to say how the FA will work by that time and i gave a conservative esitmate of age 25...he could be there sooner, but bottomline is teams will need to exercise patients.

I actually think he might step in sooner than expected, he stepped in as a 16 year and was a ppg player. His learning curve isn't that high, he's progressing well. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns a few heads in this year's camp.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Broadway Crosby said:
He seems to be a Hugh Jessiman-clone, and he plays just like Hugh, too. I think that Latendresse will be a player that surprises some and goes earlier than expected. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go top ten...

Comeon now, being a ranger fan or so I think...you should know thats a poor comparison. The reason Hugh was picked 12 by Rangers was because of his size, skating, and offensive abilities. Latendresse is blown out of the water by Hugh IMO. Even if you don't take into account the fact that he's three inches bigger, he skates SOO much better and has a lethal shot. Latendresse has suspect skating and shot.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I know that skating is his weakness, but how bad is it ???

For the Prospects skill testing he ranked 17th in the puck handling, 25th in the full lap and 27th in the 60 foot sprint out of 36 players tested. So I'd say below average is a pretty fair comment.

It should be noted that he finished well ahead of Bobby Ryan in everything but the 60 foot sprint (19th) and everyone seems to be ok with his skating.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
West said:
For the Prospects skill testing he ranked 17th in the puck handling, 25th in the full lap and 27th in the 60 foot sprint out of 36 players tested. So I'd say below average is a pretty fair comment.

It should be noted that he finished well ahead of Bobby Ryan in everything but the 60 foot sprint (19th) and everyone seems to be ok with his skating.

Thanks.

60 foot sprint is probably the most important.

While the Flyers could certainly use big strong wingrs that can score, I'm very hesitatant about drafting anyone with skating issues.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Usually bigger guys look awkward when they skate but they are effiecent. Smaller guys have their legs pumping super fast and that makes them look a lot faster than they are.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
West said:

Keep in mind he was 27th of 36 of top prospects. So while his skating is below average, he is hardly the worst skater in the draft.

The real issues with GL is his first step, which is REALLY bad. His lateral movement needs work too. The fact that he was middle of the pack with in the skills, so movement with the puck, shows that he moves pretty averagely when he's got possession.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
West said:

Well ahead? I don't think so: http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=385868

If this data is correct, here's how it broke down:

60' dash

Ryan 2.831
Latendresse 2.889

150' dash

Ryan 5.974
Latendresse 6.156

Hardest shot

Ryan 90.2/92.5
Latendresse 80.5/80.8

Fastest skater

Ryan 15.335
Latendresse 15.171

Puck control

Ryan 18.934
Latendresse 17.87

Ryan has the advantage in the dashes and hardest shot, while Latendresse has the advantage in fastest skater and puck control. Read into that what you will.

Last edited:

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Keep in mind he was 27th of 36 of top prospects. So while his skating is below average, he is hardly the worst skater in the draft.

The real issues with GL is his first step, which is REALLY bad. His lateral movement needs work too. The fact that he was middle of the pack with in the skills, so movement with the puck, shows that he moves pretty averagely when he's got possession.

I think it's pretty fair to say that since only about 45 prospects will have serious NHL careers that it's pretty good indication of where his skating would be in the NHL.

Also I'd tend to disagree with someone earlier who said the 60 foot sprint is the most important. I'd say that is probably the easiest category to improve your time in given weight and skating training.

Anyone who's a professional skating instructor or spent alot of time training with one feel free to correct me on this.

p.s. Bobby Ryan was 34th out of 36 in the puck drill and 29th on the full lap use whatever wording you'd like.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
West said:
I think it's pretty fair to say that since only about 45 prospects will have serious NHL careers that it's pretty good indication of where his skating would be in the NHL.

Also I'd tend to disagree with someone earlier who said the 60 foot sprint is the most important. I'd say that is probably the easiest category to improve your time in given weight and skating training.

Anyone who's a professional skating instructor or spent alot of time training with one feel free to correct me on this.

p.s. Bobby Ryan was 34th out of 36 in the puck drill and 29th on the full lap use whatever wording you'd like.

I think the bottomline is drills like these aren't necessarilly the benchmark for how effective these players are now or will be at the next level. Anyone can goof up the puckhandling drill on any given day.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
West said:

Oh, certainly, he's definitely going to always be on the slower scale of skaters. It CAN be improved, whether it is or not only the future can tell. But people said the same thing about steve Bernier. He was fat, and slow, and lazy, etc, etc, and he has completely destroyed those images and has become a much more complete player.

Of course...he's an exception. Anyone with takes Latendresse is going to have to believe that he's going to work through the problems and overcome the issues.

If teams don't think he can, he will slip out of hte top 20. If someone thinks he can, he could go in the early teens.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm not trying to make any overall judgements about anyones career. Just giving my opinion on one aspect of two players.

I've watched Bobby Ryan a few times live and I'm not surprised by the numbers he put up at the prospect game. I would have described him as ok acceleration off the mark and a straight line skater but slow top speed and weak laterally movement. I've only watched GL on TV but I'd say that his times at the Prospect testing are not surprizing.

For me Bobby Ryan's skating make's him a high risk high reward player. If he developes into a top two line player(which he has the brains and talent to do) all the skating questions will disappear. However if he doesn't everyone will tell you that he was obviously to slow (worst skating forwards in while to be rated as high as he is) to ever make an impact and blast the team that selected him.

The original point I wanted to make. If you're not worried about BR's skating don't worry about GL.

p.s. before you blast me for the worst skating top 3 NA skater comment please come up with a name.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
West said:
I'm not trying to make any overall judgements about anyones career. Just giving my opinion on one aspect of two players.

I've watched Bobby Ryan a few times live and I'm not surprised by the numbers he put up at the prospect game. I would have described him as ok acceleration off the mark and a straight line skater but slow top speed and weak laterally movement. I've only watched GL on TV but I'd say that his times at the Prospect testing are not surprizing.

For me Bobby Ryan's skating make's him a high risk high reward player. If he developes into a top two line player(which he has the brains and talent to do) all the skating questions will disappear. However if he doesn't everyone will tell you that he was obviously to slow (worst skating forwards in while to be rated as high as he is) to ever make an impact and blast the team that selected him.

The original point I wanted to make. If you're not worried about BR's skating don't worry about GL.

p.s. before you blast me for the worst skating top 3 NA skater comment please come up with a name.

I'm not going to blast anyone. I thought we we're merely having a discussion...... Anyway, it would appear to me that there must be some significant differances between Ryan and Latendresse for their to be such a gap in where most scouting services project them to be drafted. Ryan is a consensus top five pick, while Latendresse is all over the map, including outside the first round. To me, that speaks more of how good Ryan is than how "bad" Latendresse is. Ryan appears to have some elements Latendresse doesn't have, or is deficient in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->