Guillaume Latendresse....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

We're two weeks from the draft, so we should have a better idea on where Latendresse will go...but there's still some controversy!

Well, some are saying, he's gonna be a top 5 pick, some say he's gonna be gone in the top 15 (late first round).I even saw some posters saying, he's gonna go in the second round.

Where do ISS,CSS..rank him (CSS finals ranking aren't out yet)?

Well, his performance at the U-18's might scared some scouts.Some would say ''How can a top 5 pick couldn't be dominant in the U-18's?''

He had very average U-18's.He's a good project that's for sure...he was struggling at the beginning of the last season but he started producing on a regular basis after....

Blake Wheeler #2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
ISS has him at 15 among skaters (everyone except for goalies). Bob McKenzie/TSN has him at 21. I don't think he'll be creeping his way into the top 10, but it's possible he could get taken in the 10-15 range. Most likely going to be a 15-25 pick, and a very slight chance he falls into the second round. A lot of teams covet players who play a gritty game and have size, and Latendresse has both.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
The Great One said:
Blake Wheeler #2?

for the record, wheeler went #5.

personally, i have latendresse in my top ten. there might be questions about his skating and defensive coverage, but similiar issues could be raised to bobby ryan (who's seemingly universially loved around these parts). i like ryan too, but i still feel latendresse can and will be an impact player in the NHL. 6'2, 215 and a competitive nature! there's a lot to like about guillaume latendresse, and it only takes one team with a similiar opinion to make him a top 10 pick.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
fisher said:
Bob McKenzie/TSN has him [Latendresse] at 21.

important to note that it isn't mckenzie's opinion, it's the consensus of scouts he interviewed. and he also said that one team has latendresse rated in the top 10. if that team is lucky enough to pick around 8, 9 or 10 then it's probable that latendresse is getting selected at that spot.

turnbuckle*

I see Latendresse being one of the draft's biggest wildcards, although I think he's closer to being a second round pick than a top ten. Two scouts I talked to last Wednesday said that Guillaume would make a good second round pick, but that they would not draft him with a first round pick.

If Bob talked to one scout who said he was a top ten and I talked to two who said he was a second rounder, then ranking him 21st or so is pretty accurate. I assume that Bob also talked to scouts who wouldn't pick him in the first rouind, and I have a feeling that the majority of scouts see him as a 20th overall or later pick.

Mediocre skating is not nearly as problematic at the junior level as it is in the NHL, and Guillame has light years to go in that department if he ever hopes to be an offensive presence at the highest level. Despite my feelings to the contrary after witnessing his lack of scoring touch at the Under-18s, the scouts I've talked to say he has good hands.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I could see him being picked very high despite his skating deficiencies. Guys who arent the greatest skaters can still be impact players in the NHL. Just like Jason Allison. Plus he is still young and if he knows his skating is a weakness and he's competitive you can bet he is working on it this summer.

Skating is overrated. Look at Rico Fata. One of the best skaters to be drafted in awhile but he's not doing that great. Well he's doing better now after scoring 16 goals on a Super Mario less Pens.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Mr.Hunter74 said:
I could see him being picked very high despite his skating deficiencies. Guys who arent the greatest skaters can still be impact players in the NHL. Just like Jason Allison. Plus he is still young and if he knows his skating is a weakness and he's competitive you can bet he is working on it this summer.

Skating is overrated. Look at Rico Fata. One of the best skaters to be drafted in awhile but he's not doing that great. Well he's doing better now after scoring 16 goals on a Super Mario less Pens.
Skating isn't overrated. The number of players, especially forwards, who make it to the NHL with below average skating is very small. Fata has absolutely no hockey sense yet can still contribute due to his skating. Allison is a supremely skilled player with great size that he uses effectively. Latendresse is skilled, but he doesn't come close to players like Allison, Robitaille, and Hull.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
sirkraut_82 said:
for the record, wheeler went #5.
He's asking if Latrendresse is "Blake Wheeler #2", the second coming of Wheeler....Despite the different opinions of the kid, I highlly doubt that he falls into the second round. His package of size and skill is too much for a team to pass up. He becomes a bargain if he slips past 15.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The Sedin twins are some of the worst skaters I've ever seen... Dave Andreychuk couldn't skate. Yashin had a way of slowing the play down to his level... who knows where he will go? Honestly, with his grit and hands, he'd be a steal in the second round. Even Setoguchi (who I don't like) would be striking oil in the second.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah, and they suck.

It's true, being among the most productive second line players in the entire NHL is absolutely brutal. I'm sure Dave Nonis sobs himself to sleep every night knowing that even playing with a useless winger, the twins managed put up fantastic points-per-minutes played numbers.

As for Guillame, I've said it before,a nd I'll repeat it. It will depend entirely on when teams saw the guy play. He did not have a great U18, but he was far from awful at them too. For those teams that saw him play in the first round of the Q playoffs against Moncton (and I know that there were at least eight regional scouts there because I sat with them), they're going to be much higher on him because he was absolutely dominant against a fairly strong team. I'll continue to use the comparison most of the people sitting on the balcony in the Cage thought...he played, in that series, like Iginla in the 2004 playoffs...he hit like a monster, he scored goals, he created chances, and he even fought.

He could go anywhere, imo, from 7-25.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Matt MacInnis said:
It's true, being among the most productive second line players in the entire NHL is absolutely brutal. I'm sure Dave Nonis sobs himself to sleep every night knowing that even playing with a useless winger, the twins managed put up fantastic points-per-minutes played numbers.

BobMarleyNYR said:
Really? What Sedin's have you been watching?

no jacob, no sarcasm...know jacob, know sarcasm.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah, and they suck.
Daniel Sedin must "suck", Because he would have been the HIGHEST scoring Penguin...

I wonder what that makes the players on your team?

The Sedins will forever be bashed by people like you (who rarely watch them), simply based on their draft positions. They won't be the superstars they were touted to be, but are developing into very productive NHL players.

edit: Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but if so, then :sarcasm: to you.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
jtuzzi21 said:
Daniel Sedin must "suck", Because he would have been the HIGHEST scoring Penguin...

The Sedins will forever be bashed by people like you (who rarely watch them), simply based on their draft positions. They won't be the superstars they were touted to be, but are developing into very productive NHL players.

:dunno:

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
sirkraut_82 said:
no jacob, no sarcasm...know jacob, know sarcasm.

How could anyone tell that it's sarcasm? Unless you know he likes either the Sedin's or Latendresse, there's no way of telling that was sarcastic.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
jtuzzi21 said:

I don't own any team.

CH Wizard

rt said:
I don't understand what this means. What do Blake Wheeler and Guillaume Latendresse have in common?

Wheeler and Latendresse HAVE A LOT OF THINGS IN COMMON.I'm not talking about their skating or etc...but they play a power forward of game.Wheeler was a high risk/high reward type of pick.Latendresse will maybe also gonna be the same type of pick.

Wheeler was projected to go in the second round, last year.So is Latendresse...but a team could pick him in the top 5...to schock everyone as much like when the Wheeler pick was announced, last year.Latendresse could go anywhere from 5 to 30.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Would it be fair to say that Latendresse is a much better player on the smaller ice surface?

I thought he played pretty decent at the U18s. Had a lot of scoring chances but seemed to be snake bitten for the tourny. I think alot of poor skating big forwards tend to look out of place on the big ice surface.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
The Great One said:
Wheeler and Latendresse HAVE A LOT OF THINGS IN COMMON.I'm not talking about their skating or etc...but they play a power forward of game.Wheeler was a high risk/high reward type of pick.Latendresse will maybe also gonna be the same type of pick.

Wheeler was projected to go in the second round, last year.So is Latendresse...but a team could pick him in the top 5...to schock everyone as much like when the Wheeler pick was announced, last year.Latendresse could go anywhere from 5 to 30.

TGO, Latendresse has been hyped as a possible #2 pick after last season, Wheeler was in no one's radar then, I don't know what Latendresse has done to slip so far. He had a slow start but he sure did pick up steam after that. If he plays like he did in the playoffs and the home stretch before that, there's no telling how good he may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->