rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
6 must-haves to become Stanley Cup Champions
------------------------------
1. Franchise players:
PIT-Crosby, Malkin,
CHI-Toews, Kane
LA-Doughty, Kopitar

You need identity, these are the guys who you build around.
---------------------------------

2. #1 goalie:
PIT-Fleury,
CHI-Crawford,
LA-Quick

You need a very good goalie, if not a franchise goalie.
----------------------------

3. #1 defenseman:
PIT-Letang
CHI-Keith
LA-Doughty

You need a #1 defenseman, someone who can play in all situations and is a workhorse.
----------------------------

4. Core players:
PIT-Crosby, Fleury, Letang, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz
CHI-Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, Kane, Keith, Ladd, Seabrook, Sharp, Toews,
LA-Brown, Carter, Doughty, Kopitar, Richards, Stoll, Williams

You need core players who you help shape your team.
-------------------------------

5. Soldiers (grinders):
PIT-Dupuis, Kennedy, Kunitz, Orpik, Talbot
CHI-Bolland, Brouwer, Hjalmarsson, Kopecky, Ladd, Bickell
LA-Clifford, Greene, King, Lewis, Mitchell, Stoll

You need grinders, a team full of all stars won't win you a cup.

6. You need veterans leadership (old guys):
PIT-Roberts, Recchi, Gonchar, Guerin, Scuderi, Sykora, Gill, Boucher
CHI-Campbell, Madden, Sopel, Boynton, Johnsson
LA-Gagne, Mitchell, Scuderi

You need guys who's been there to guide your young players.

I believe we are very close to becoming a complete team.

1. Franchise players: Galchenyuk, Price

2. #1 goalie: Price

3. #1 defenseman: Subban

4. Core players: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Gorges, Markov, Emelin

5. Soldiers (grinders): Prust, Moen, White (we need more)

6. You need veterans leadership (old guys): Plekanec, Gionta, Briere (only Gionta has a cup ring)

Teams like Edmonton and Philly are losing because they are missing 2 or more of the above.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
ok.

until we get bigger and nastier on the backend or the refs actually start to call the game according to the rulebook in the playoffs, i disagree that we are 'close'. we indeed have some of the pieces, but our defense, as mobile as it is, as good as it is to clear the puck out to start counter-attacking and negate opposing forecheck (now, let alone when emelin comes back), when the whistles are swallowed and blatant hooking and interference penalties go uncalled like it's them little candy canes on christmas, then no, i don't see us going too far.

we have the pieces to go far if some things go our way, but just like i could walk down the street and fall into an open manhole (no really, it happens), i won't be holding my breath that it will happen

and maybe you should add a category: clutch. or call it "is awake at playoff times".

DDIHH

Oct 28, 2005
Emelin and Murray may be the missing pieces. DD & DB are bad right now, but we have other forwards stepping up.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
About goalies... do you need a good goalie (or franchise goalie like you said) or just a goalie being hot at the right time?

Are Fleury and Ward franchise goalies? Not in my opinion. They were a defenitely a factor in their cup run but since then.. are they even top 10 in the league?

Is Crawford a franchise goalie or just a goalie that happens to play in a very good team?

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Who was Boston's franchise forward?

I think Bergeron is the closest thing they have to a franchise forward.

Another thing we have over most teams is an excellent backup goalie, Budaj, in my opinion, may very well be the best backup in the league right now, this gives us the opportunity to use him without any problem if Price gets injured or something happens.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Price and Galchenyuk as Franchise players? Subban is a/the franchise player.

dreamingofdrouin*

We need to get rid of that 7.5 million of dead cap space thats playing with pacioretty, or they need to step the **** up in a hurry.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
We need to get rid of that 7.5 million of dead cap space thats playing with pacioretty, or they need to step the **** up in a hurry.

My brain isn't up yet, I'm only halfway through my cup of coffee, I though we had a guy worth 7.5M$... It took me way too much time to see the "they" in your sentence.....

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The problem is we'll need to replace our secondary scoring soon as guys like Gionta possibly leave and we have to hope Bergevin can either get some through trades, FA or someone steps up from Hamilton to fill those roles.

PricePkPatch*

Anyone not including Subban as a franchise player is just throwing darts on the board.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Anyone not including Subban as a franchise player is just throwing darts on the board.

Pretty much.

Subban and Galchenyuk are the franchise players. Price can be a franchise player.

I believe Nathan Beaulieu has the ability to be close to a franchise player. Like Brian Rafalski to Scott Neidermayer, that extra punch to make the blueline unstoppable. Still early though. He could transition badly and be Ryan Ellis 2.0

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Pretty much.

Subban and Galchenyuk are the franchise players. Price can be a franchise player.

I believe Nathan Beaulieu has the ability to be close to a franchise player. Like Brian Rafalski to Scott Neidermayer, that extra punch to make the blueline unstoppable. Still early though. He could transition badly and be Ryan Ellis 2.0

I just don't see him as a potentiel franchise player... A very good player yes, but certainly not franchise...

Of course, I can always hope that in the end you'll be right! :nod:

Apr 28, 2010
Not going to win anything until we have DD, DB and Gionta. We need to be more hard to play against first and then maybe we can win our 25th cup. If we can have 2 more Gallaghers with size in our top 6.. we will have our parade sooner than later.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not going to win anything until we have DD, DB and Gionta. We need to be more hard to play against first and then maybe we can win our 25th cup. If we can have 2 more Gallaghers with size in our top 6.. we will have our parade sooner than later.

Hence the more soldier in the line-up. And better veterans.

We need a Gionta, but with some size to balance the right side who is awfully small.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Briere is just a stop gap until McCarron is ready to step up.

Replace DD with a couple bonafide depth/character/grinder players.

Let Tinordi and Beaulieu develop.

These 3 tasks should be done in 2 years, that's when our window will open.

On a side note, 3 scoring lines is great during the regular season but it's also a game style that can easily be exploited during the playoffs. We need a fast, mean, and aggressive third line to be successful in the playoffs.

PricePkPatch*

I just don't see him as a potentiel franchise player... A very good player yes, but certainly not franchise...

Of course, I can always hope that in the end you'll be right! :nod:

Not Franchise?

What, winning the Norris, being one of the best 3 defensemen in the league and potentially the uncontested best D isn't enough for you?

Being able to single-handily carry this team in a potential comeback isn't good enough?

What is it, exactly. You believe Defensemen can't be franchise players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad