OT: Guide to Holiday TV classics

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” will make its 2023 debut on CBS, airing Friday, November 24 at 9 p.m.

“Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas” - NBC on Thursday, November 30 at 8 p.m.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” will not air on television, as Apple once again has the exclusive rights. The easiest way to watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is to have an Apple TV+ subscription. For those who don’t want to pay for a subscription, however, Apple TV+ will make “A Charlie Brown Christmas” free to watch on December 16 and 17.

ABC​

“The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration”: Sunday, November 26 at 8 p.m.

“Mickey Saves Christmas” (2022): Sunday, December 10 at 7 p.m.

“Olaf’s Frozen Adventure” (2017): Sunday, December 10 at 7:30 p.m.

“Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” (1970): Tuesday, December 12 at 8 p.m.

“CMA Country Christmas”: Thursday, December 14 at 8 p.m.

“Disney Prep & Landing” (2009): Tuesday, December 19 at 8 p.m.

“Disney Prep & Landing 2: Naughty vs. Nice” (2011): Tuesday, December 19 at 8:30 p.m.

“iHeartRadio Jingle Ball 2023”: Thursday, December 21 at 8 p.m.

“Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Parade”: Sunday, December 25 at 10 a.m.

CBS​

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964): Friday, November 24 at 9 p.m.

“Reindeer in Here” (2022): Saturday, December 2 at 8 p.m.

“Robbie the Reindeer” (1999): Saturday, December 2 at 9 p.m.

“Byron Allen Presents a Merry Soulful Christmas”: Saturday, December 9 at 8 p.m.

“National Christmas Tree Lighting”: Friday, December 15 at 8 p.m.

“Frosty the Snowman” (1969): Saturday, December 16 at 9 p.m.

“Frosty Returns” (1992): Saturday, December 16 at 9:30 p.m.

“The 25th Annual Home for the Holidays”: Friday, December 22 at 8 p.m.

NBC​

“That’s My Jam Holiday Special”: Monday, November 27 at 9 p.m.

“The 90th Annual Christmas in Rockefeller Center”: Wednesday, November 29 at 8 p.m.

“Christmas in Graceland”: Wednesday, November 29 at 10 p.m.

“Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (1966): Thursday, November 30 at 8 p.m.; Christmas Day at 8 p.m.

“Shrek the Halls” (2007): Thursday, November 30 at 8:30 p.m.; Saturday, December 9 at 9 p.m.

“Blake Shelton’s Holiday Bartacular”: Monday, December 4 at 10 p.m.

Christmas at the Opry”: Thursday, December 7 at 8 p.m.; Wednesday, December 20 at 9 p.m.

“Trolls: Holiday in Harmony”: Saturday, December 9 at 8:30 p.m.

“Barry Manilow’s A Very Barry Christmas”: Monday, December 11 at 10 p.m.; Wednesday, December 20 at 8 p.m.

“A Saturday Night Live Christmas Special”: Thursday, December 14 at 8 p.m., Saturday, December 23 at 9 p.m.

“Dolly Parton’s A Coat of Many Colors” (2015): Friday, December 15 at 8 p.m.

“Dolly Parton’s Mountain Magic Christmas”: Thursday, December 21 at 9 p.m.

“Dolly Parton’s Christmas of Many Colors: Circle of Love”: Friday, December 22 at 8 p.m.

It's a Wonderful Life airs on NBC on Saturday, December 24, from 8-11 p.m.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know our kids and grandkids can theoretically understand what it was like for us to live at a time where Christmas specials were aired one time and one time only each year and if you missed it, you had to wait until next year to see it.

But, I know they can’t fully internalize the feeling we had as children mapping out the month of December each year, based on when they were going to be on.

I vividly remember being soooooo mad at my brother (4 years younger) because he had to use the bathroom at the YMCA after one of my basketball practices because Santa Claus is Coming to Town was on at 8:00 that night and my practice ended at 7:45.

Home was 10 minutes away if we made all the lights.

Oddly, I also remember getting my homework done before dinner throughout the Christmas season.
:laugh::laugh:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I remember that the specials (Rudolph,Grinch,Frosty and Santa Clause is coming to Town) were on once a year.....usually after the 20th....that's how as a kid we knew Christmas was coming

(And my Dad never let us put up a tree until after we were out of school)

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I remember getting the TV Guide and circling all the specials and planning my week accordingly. It was a special time, no DVDs, VCRs, etc., for on demand. That was what made it so special. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Reactions: sarge88

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And as a kid, those shows always seemed like they were two hours long lol.

When I was little I was terrified of the "Bumble" in Rudolph. I would ask my brother to let me know when he was off the screen. You can guess what he did lol.

The trauma, man.... the trauma :laugh:

s67JjS5U4wKEo.gif

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
And as a kid, those shows always seemed like they were two hours long lol.

When I was little I was terrified of the "Bumble" in Rudolph. I would ask my brother to let me know when he was off the screen. You can guess what he did lol.

The trauma, man.... the trauma :laugh:

View attachment 772410
For me it was the Burgermeister Meisterburger....lol

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad