Guessing game: Kraken 1st round picks in 2021 draft

How many 1st round draft picks will the Kraken have in the 2021 NHL Entry draft?

• Total voters

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The expectation is that Francis will be doing some of these:

- Taking on bad contracts (during or after the expansion draft)
- Not picking specific players from certain teams and get a pick(s) instead.

Some of the picks will be in the 2021 draft and some in the 2022 (or beyond). Let's try to guess how many TOTAL 1st round picks we will end up with.

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I'll probably be in the minority, but, I think they might get 4+ picks this year and beyond. This year's Draft seems to be a crapshoot for most teams. Figure they might be OK with giving up a 1st this year. Other than the top 5 picks, it's more of a Who's Who to pick from.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'll probably be in the minority, but, I think they might get 4+ picks this year and beyond. This year's Draft seems to be a crapshoot for most teams. Figure they might be OK with giving up a 1st this year. Other than the top 5 picks, it's more of a Who's Who to pick from.

I think the uncertainty around the prospects this draft should help teams more amenable to be giving up that 1st round pick for sure. I think once we are outside the top-8 range it does look to be a crapshoot.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I voted two given that certain teams don't have a first round pick like Tampa.

BTW: I could see Minnesota being that team if we take on the contract of Victor Rask and stay away from their goalies during the expansion draft.
I wonder if Colorado would give up their 1st to take on Erik Johnson? Though honestly, I don't think a late 1st would be quite enough for me to want to take EJ.

Flames are getting Lucic to waive. Similar salary to Erik Johnson but Lucic should be a useful 3rd liner through both his seasons. A little expensive for that role but with the Calgary 1st being 12th, I would consider that more than EJ.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
If Francis is looking to load up on picks, my hope is he aims a bit more towards the future in 2022 and 2023. That said, there may be some gems that fall in this crapshoot draft, would not surprise me at all to see seattle pick 3 times in the 1st rd and 2-3 times again in the 2nd. Edm/Cgy might pay a 1st to offload lucic/neal. Mtl might offer a pick to not take Allen. Colorado might pay to protect Towes, SJ might give up something for SEA to take either burns/ Jones. Thats just the tip of the iceberg, tons of speculation leading up to the EA. The flurry of movement after the cup final will be really exciting.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I expect we pick Beniers as #2. Maybe Clarke if that is who Francis likes more on D.

My dream scenario(s) will be to get 2 more picks in the mid-late 1st and use them to grab Raty and Lambos. Both have high upside and will be excellent to have even 2 of those players to start off the franchise.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I'm gonna post it here as well.

Interesting quote from Jarmo Kekalainen, the GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I’ve already talked to several of the general managers in the league that have protection problems in the expansion draft, and they’re eyeing those picks like–they’re very hungry for our first-round picks I can tell you that.

Seems like some teams are targeting the Blue Jackets picks and that might be because of the expansion draft.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

I voted 2 but was only thinking of this year. The 2022 class has some serious talent at the top end and my hope is that Francis will amass the pieces needed to get in on that. Barring a top-3 pick of their own, that is.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Francis will try to sign UFAs, see who may be available, enticing them to an 8year contract. If he can get Hamilton and Nugent to sign, he'll have to watch the budget during the expansion draft.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Francis will try to sign UFAs, see who may be available, enticing them to an 8year contract. If he can get Hamilton and Nugent to sign, he'll have to watch the budget during the expansion draft.
As an ex-Oilers fan I will be extremely disappointed if we sign RNH to an 8 year deal. To be perfectly honest he really doesn’t interest me at all. I want players who ooze drive and determination, RNH does not check that box.

voted 2 in the poll btw.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
As an ex-Oilers fan I will be extremely disappointed if we sign RNH to an 8 year deal. To be perfectly honest he really doesn’t interest me at all. I want players who ooze drive and determination, RNH does not check that box.

voted 2 in the poll btw.
I would be shocked if RNH gets a 8 year deal from any team. He is fairly injury prone and is not a true 1C. We may be amenable to signing him as one of our stop-gap C's for the 1st or 2nd line but I would think it would be a 2-3 year contract at most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->