Guerin Named New Wild GM

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Rutherford prepared if Guerin departs. Probably won't be an external hire as assistant GM. Karmonos could end up as the only asst. GM. Or the Pens could promote Scott Young, current director of player development. Or keep him there and just have him manage WBS.

Pens could also have WBS coach Mike Vellucci handle day-to-day operations of the team besides his bench boss duties.

What is the Penguins' plan if Minnesota hires Bill Guerin as...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

How could anyone look at the Minnesota Roster and not want to tear it down.

I wish all the Burke’s would go away.

And I’m not sure he’s wrong, but it’d take a couple serious moves to make them good. Especially if Staal declines (re-declines?)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I wish all the Burke’s would go away.

Bjx0-GuIEAAPTek.jpg

That magnificent coif has to stay part of the NHL community.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Looks like Guerin might not be the leading candidate anymore but one of three...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Really? Hextall basically took the Flyers who were the 2017-18 Wild and turned them into a team with the image of hope.

I don't agree. When Hextall got there, the Flyers had maybe 4 excellent players and another 5 good, but not great, prospects. Going into next season, the Flyers have 3 excellent players and another 5 good, but not great, prospects--except the excellent players are 5 years older and precede Hextall's hiring. I didn't see that team as a contender, exactly, but it wasn't in need of a rebuild and the rebuild that did take place isn't actually better than what he started with.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't agree. When Hextall got there, the Flyers had maybe 4 excellent players and another 5 good, but not great, prospects. Going into next season, the Flyers have 3 excellent players and another 5 good, but not great, prospects--except the excellent players are 5 years older and precede Hextall's hiring. I didn't see that team as a contender, exactly, but it wasn't in need of a rebuild and the rebuild that did take place isn't actually better than what he started with.

Have to disagree with your assessment.

The big thing with Hextall was stability and not reacting to extend the window.

The biggest needs for the Flyers prior to Hextall were defense and goaltending. Both of those have been satisfied while adding solid pieces to the forward core like Konecky, JVR and Patrick.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

The biggest needs for the Flyers prior to Hextall were defense and goaltending. Both of those have been satisfied while adding solid pieces to the forward core like Konecky, JVR and Patrick.

How has the goaltending situation been satisfied? Elliot is Mendoza line as starters go and Hart hasn't demonstrated anything at this point. As far as the defense, 2/3 of it was drafted by Holmgren and Niskanen was Fletcher's doing. Provorov's the only starter on D that's Hextall's guy.

From where I'm standing, Hextall took a .500 hockey club with a few key pieces and some nice futures and embarked on a 5 year project to turn it into a .500 hockey club with a few (mostly older) key pieces and some nice futures.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

True - but in doing so, he ran out the clock on his owner's patience and lost his job. Are Minnesota's ownership prepared to be more patient than Philly's, and than they were with Fenton? Because if yes, they should get Hextall.

If they think they've got something going on and want a guy to go in and make changes, probably not him.

Also, who's Mellanby?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like Hextall. He made some mistakes as a rookie GM and seems to be too much of a micromanager but I think he’d make a good GM elsewhere assuming he learned from those mistakes. I wouldn’t even mind him as an AGM here to be groomed as JR’s replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad