Guerin Named New Wild GM

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Pens really should promote Rutherford out of the job, and promote Bill Gweron to GM before he bolts

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Well, Wadell re-signed with Carolina and I think Russo mentioned that Hextall has too many similar qualities too Fenton. Seems like Guerin is one of the leading candidates.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well, Wadell re-signed with Carolina and I think Russo mentioned that Hextall has too many similar qualities too Fenton. Seems like Guerin is one of the leading candidates.

Russo's latest update makes it sound like Guerin, Hextall and Fitzgerald (if they're given permission to talk to him) are the leading contenders now - Guerin and Hextall had "great" first interviews, and will probably be lined up for second.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Would be cool if Guerin was hired by the Wild and then we hired Chiarelli as his replacement. Then, next Summer when JR signs some really bad UFA contracts he is fired and replaced by Chiarelli.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do believe that Kingerski was first to report the ZAR signing, so his credibility has certainly gone up this summer.

He was.

He also linked us to a bunch of guys that Yohe said the team weren't that interested in, and admitted he didn't have great sources near Rutherford and mainly had to rely on around the league.

Pinch of salt required.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does Velucci replace Guerin then?

FSKuOgb.gif

If our dreams come true, meet your new GM in waiting Peter Chiarelli. That is only if Recchi does not move with him to Minny, in which case he becomes our new savior.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He was.

He also linked us to a bunch of guys that Yohe said the team weren't that interested in, and admitted he didn't have great sources near Rutherford and mainly had to rely on around the league.

Pinch of salt required.

I don't recall that but Yohe certainly isn't a know-all. And in this day and age you don't need sources close to the GM. Just someone down the line from someone who has a direct source to the GM. The game of "telephone" is much more accurate these days.

But yes, I agree that a pinch of salt is needed. And yet Kingerski is on the right track to becoming more reputable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't recall that but Yohe certainly isn't a know-all. And in this day and age you don't need sources close to the GM. Just someone down the line from someone who has a direct source to the GM. The game of "telephone" is much more accurate these days.

But yes, I agree that a pinch of salt is needed. And yet Kingerski is on the right track to becoming more reputable.

Not sure I follow the bolded.

On the rest - Yohe doesn't know all but does seemingly know more than any other beat reporter, and I think Kingerski is roughly speaking reputable but even reputable rumour mongers are in line to be wrong as often than right.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Not sure I follow the bolded.

On the rest - Yohe doesn't know all but does seemingly know more than any other beat reporter, and I think Kingerski is roughly speaking reputable but even reputable rumour mongers are in line to be wrong as often than right.

Re: the bolded

Let's say someone overhears GMJR tell some assistant that they're looking at Player X. This someone then texts their friend the news about Player X. Said friend texts their friend. Since this is written word, not spoken, and essentially instantaneous it means there's fewer ways to get the info messed up. And it spreads quicker. That was my point. For instance, we got some bad news in a very small meeting at work yesterday morning and by the time we left the meeting the news was already on the radio. :laugh:

Related:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why does everyone hate Guerin?

A widespread belief that he's not very good at his job and that he was vocal in the swing to physicality that made the last two years a mess.

I'm not sure I agree with that myself, but equally I've seen little to suggest he's very good at his job.

Re: the bolded

Let's say someone overhears GMJR tell some assistant that they're looking at Player X. This someone then texts their friend the news about Player X. Said friend texts their friend. Since this is written word, not spoken, and essentially instantaneous it means there's fewer ways to get the info messed up. And it spreads quicker. That was my point. For instance, we got some bad news in a very small meeting at work yesterday morning and by the time we left the meeting the news was already on the radio. :laugh:

Ah, with you.

I don't think Kingerski - or any of the beat reporters - even have that. Rutherford and that core of guys he discusses trades with don't seem to get overheard all that often and what info we get about their trading intentions seems to come from other teams, or from them saying "No, there's nothing to that one at all".

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is a logical assumption.

There is no doubt that there has been a divide between the analytics people and the knuckle draggers old school types the last couple of years.

JR brought in one of the strongest analytics groups in the NHL when hired, and only doubled down on the investment when they hired Sam Ventura, the co-creator of War-On-Ice.com. He constantly talks analytics.

By process of elimination who is left leading the knuckle draggers?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I wonder who we'd replace Guerin with. All our other positions have relatively new hires (Director of Scouting, Player development etc).

Maybe Velluci? Although I think hes more interested in coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->