Guerin Named New Wild GM

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm still on the fence about which incident was a more enormous failure in sports entertainment production

1. Susan Sarandon calling an NBC hockey game

2. A chubby, shirtless man dressed as a gladiator at a Sens game, reading his lines from a plastic shield into a microphone that didn't work

3. Mischa Brueggergrossman butchers two national anthems and nearly gives Erik Karlsson a heart attack from laughing

2. The answer is definitely 2.

Though you've compiled quite the cringe list, there.

EDIT: For posterity:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's one of those moments in time where everything is so bad... so ill-conceived... that it somehow becomes legendary in spite of itself. Like... I was blessed enough to get to watch Mario, Jagr, Sid and Geno in my lifetime. And somehow THAT turd stays with me every bit as much as those memories do.

I think it's trying to play off of 300? I don't even know. It's a piece of art, really.

Reactions: billybudd

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Same crowd that says Botts had nothing to do with JR wants Guerin gone because of his suffocating impact.

The pro-Botts people are mostly the analytics types and people have the impression that Guerin is anti that. It would make no sense if what you said were true. I'm sure some exist but I don't think you're right to make that generalisation.

I just don't like Guerin because of the Anti-Despres rumours. I don't have any evidence either way as to his impact with JR, so I don't care if he goes.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The pro-Botts people are mostly the analytics types and people have the impression that Guerin is anti that. It would make no sense if what you said were true. I'm sure some exist but I don't think you're right to make that generalisation.

I just don't like Guerin because of the Anti-Despres rumours. I don't have any evidence either way as to his impact with JR, so I don't care if he goes.

There is certainly an analytics vs. old school schism in Pens' management. JR brought the analytics crew with him when signed and has been vocal about it.

The schism got most ugly and harmful to the team the last couple of years when the team seemed to be pulling two directions at once and thereby failing at both of them.

By process of elimination it is not hard to figure out who the knuckle dragger holdouts aligned against the analytics guys are.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is certainly an analytics vs. old school schism in Pens' management. JR brought the analytics crew with him when signed and has been vocal about it.

The schism got most ugly and harmful to the team the last couple of years when the team seemed to be pulling two directions at once and thereby failing at both of them.

By process of elimination it is not hard to figure out who the knuckle dragger holdouts aligned against the analytics guys are.

JR, the guy who signed JJ for 5 years, is pro-analytics? Something doesn’t compute....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think when you look at the kind of player Guerin was, the era he played in, the teams he played on, the players he brought in and the trades he made (if that was his responsibility) it seems very likely that he has a “type” or “style” that he leans towards. Which I don’t mind, there’s more than 1 way to be successful, but this hasn’t been successful for us.

I don’t think Guerin has done anything to impact the NHL team either positively or negatively, but the baby Pens haven’t had success under him and that’s a pretty big part of his job and kind of an easy one at that. Say what you want about Fletcher and Botterill but the baby Pens made the playoffs under them.

I’d just prefer him gone so there’s no chance they replace Rutherford with him when he retires.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll laugh when Guerin is gone to a team as a GM and does a fantastic job and people feel stupid thinking he was this clueless clown.

Because everything I've heard from Billy G has shown me he's been very open to talent from all leagues and backgrounds. He's less of a tool than people realize.

The biggest reason WBS has been ass is because the coaching staff has been crap the last few years there. Also the team is now just getting stupid loaded with young talent there. Watch this season be a huge bounce back and Billy won't get any credit for it.

I'm not saying he's a genius. I just think he's less idiot that what's been alluded to here. I think if Fitzgerald gets the job, he goes as an assistant there I hope.

I still don't want him as our future gm.

Reactions: BrokenStick

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm still on the fence about which incident was a more enormous failure in sports entertainment production

1. Susan Sarandon calling an NBC hockey game

2. A chubby, shirtless man dressed as a gladiator at a Sens game, reading his lines from a plastic shield into a microphone that didn't work

3. Mischa Brueggergrossman butchers two national anthems and nearly gives Erik Karlsson a heart attack from laughing
Oh god I remember #3. I think even Sid couldn't keep a straight face.

Reactions: billybudd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know people think he's directly related to all the beef the Pens tried to get. None of which we have actual evidence of. Maybe he wants nothing but youth/speed. Who knows? But kudos to him. That'd be an honor to get that role.
He's been a guy that has spoken highly of the more skilled prospects and what not. I don't think he's the 90s throw back size Queen people make him out to be.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Would we bring in someone to replace him? Karmanos is also Assistant GM (unless he's Assistant to the Assistant GM) and obviously we've just brought Cullen into the fold.
Mario will dust off some former player that needs a job to replace Guerin.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'll laugh when Guerin is gone to a team as a GM and does a fantastic job and people feel stupid thinking he was this clueless clown.

Because everything I've heard from Billy G has shown me he's been very open to talent from all leagues and backgrounds. He's less of a tool than people realize.

The biggest reason WBS has been ass is because the coaching staff has been crap the last few years there. Also the team is now just getting stupid loaded with young talent there. Watch this season be a huge bounce back and Billy won't get any credit for it.

I'm not saying he's a genius. I just think he's less idiot that what's been alluded to here. I think if Fitzgerald gets the job, he goes as an assistant there I hope.

That's not wholly unfair. He almost definitely deserves no credit for Bellerive/Almeida/Drozg/Almari/Bjorkqvist joining WBS to add to Lafferty/Angello/Miletec/Jarry if kept. Blandisi and POJ were added in Rutherford trades. I don't think I'm being too stingy to give him only partial credit for guys like Lucchini and Di Pauli, and Palve and Larmi as well. So who does that leave that we're expecting to be important in WBS next year? Tokarski/Haggerty/Agozzino/Warsofsky/Czuczman/Trotman?

And yes, by this logic, he shouldn't carry all the can for a fairly unloaded squad last year either.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, like I said. If we didn’t get JR we could have had MacLean or McGuire so I’d rather have the devil I know.

If those are the only other options, the bar's so low we might trip on it.

It comes back to this for me: What is Guerin's defining talent as an executive supposed to be?

I don't know.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It comes back to this for me: What is Guerin's defining talent as an executive supposed to be?

I don't know.

People skills, and talent identification - people harp on about the former all the time and I have a half-remembered feeling he might have been one of the guys who talked to Aston-Reese (but this seems to be more Scott Young's area (seems)), the latter seems obvious based on his role as player development guy, followed by handling WBS and being in on a decent chunk of our scouting - he saw Riikola before he was signed, he saw Palve, he saw one of Hallander's games last season, etc.etc. I've not seen anything about him being heavily involved in amateur scouting, but he seems to still have a fair amount to do with our pro scouting and development.

edit: p.s. - Russo has said that they interviewed Guerin Monday.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People skills, and talent identification - people harp on about the former all the time and I have a half-remembered feeling he might have been one of the guys who talked to Aston-Reese (but this seems to be more Scott Young's area (seems)), the latter seems obvious based on his role as player development guy, followed by handling WBS and being in on a decent chunk of our scouting - he saw Riikola before he was signed, he saw Palve, he saw one of Hallander's games last season, etc.etc. I've not seen anything about him being heavily involved in amateur scouting, but he seems to still have a fair amount to do with our pro scouting and development.

edit: p.s. - Russo has said that they interviewed Guerin Monday.

Weak skillset for a prospective GM though - the former's little more than "good locker room presence" and the latter's pretty nebulous.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Weak skillset for a prospective GM though - the former's little more than "good locker room presence" and the latter's pretty nebulous.

What skill sets would you want to see in a prospective GM then? Because beyond negotiation skills, I think those are probably the big two. Way I see it, the GM's responsibility is hiring experts (be it players on the ice or scouts/front office people/coaches) and then ensuring they do their job with minimal friction despite the considerable number of egos involved - and that to me seems to be mostly about people skills and identifying talent.

I'll grant that they are pretty nebulous, and pretty much impossible to know about as a fan, but that doesn't change their importance.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly I totally see where WC is coming from. This team and it's media cronies make every effort to brag on every aspect of the organization. They used to run puff piece after puff piece about Botts and his huge role in the FO. I could be wrong but I feel like I read very, very little about Guerin.

I'm not trying to lay undue blame at his feet I'm just curious as to what, exactly, his skillset is. Being a good talker? That's... not terrific.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I totally see where WC is coming from. This team and it's media cronies make every effort to brag on every aspect of the organization. They used to run puff piece after puff piece about Botts and his huge role in the FO. I could be wrong but I feel like I read very, very little about Guerin.

I'm not trying to lay undue blame at his feet I'm just curious as to what, exactly, his skillset is. Being a good talker? That's... not terrific.

That's not an unfair point. I maintain that you can see what his skillset is from little details - but maybe the lack of puff pieces from the media reflects that maybe he's not that good at them.

Also, being a good talker can mean a hell of a lot when it comes to making sales pitches, which is clearly a big part of a GM's job. Again though... just because it's part of what he does, doesn't necessarily mean he's great at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad