Confirmed with Link: Guerin named GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Russo's 2 part interview on the Athletic sold me on "Billy," and sold me again. I really think he understands the relationship part of the gig of which GMPF seemed entirely unaware of. Being liked or disliked makes a difference.
This alone made me shake my head. Fenton made everyone miserable.
Boudreau seems to be walking on air right now. He didn’t mean this as a slight to Paul Fenton, but he told me yesterday that after your press conference, he hadn’t seen such smiles on the players’ faces in months and months and months, that after last year’s disappointment of not making the playoffs and all the trades in the second half and a lot of the stuff going on behind the scenes, that there has been a big stress lifted off this organization.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This alone made me shake my head. Fenton made everyone miserable.
Keep in mind that Fenton clearly wanted to replace Bruce and pretty sure Bruce was well aware of that fact. He himself has to feel such a weight off his shoulders, especially with how much Guerin is embracing Bruce as an asset here from how it sounds.

Wouldn't be surprised if Guerin tries to get Bruce a new contract.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I was lukewarm on his hire (more excited about Fenton getting canned), but I am getting more optimistic. He might actually be the prefect guy to get Spurgeon to re-sign and get guys to fall in line in the locker room. Hope the talent evaluation and trade ability is there too.

This is where I'm at, too. Wait and see, but I'm cautiously optimistic now.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
EF029CA0-DEE9-414A-9D25-05475B4C9C47.jpeg

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Had the privilege of talking to Bill Guerin Friday during our level 4 coaching clinic at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium. Talk about passion for the game. Anyhoo I told him it was nice to see Hartman stick up for a teammate against the Stars. He said you will see more of that. I was at the game last night and sure enough it happened twice. Kind of GM this team needs but man he’s got his work cut out for him

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Being a Wild fan has been a frustrating and traumatic experience in life, now there seems to be light flickering at the end of the tunnel.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Some quotes from Russo's interview with Guerin:
State of the Wild: Bill Guerin on the plan, the team,...

Chemistry:
“I’ve been really, really happy with the fact that this seems to be a very close-knit bunch of guys, and that’s not what I heard coming in,” Guerin said during a 20-minute chat with the traveling beat writers. “In getting to know a lot of these guys and seeing them kind of operate in a lot of different settings … I’ve been really happy with the chemistry and the camaraderie of the team. And their work ethic and their attitude has been excellent.
Trading vets:
“We have to see where we are in the standings and we have to see who’s playing well and who rises to the top,” Guerin said before addressing the question on whether he’d consider trading established Wild players for picks and prospects in a quasi-rebuild. “That’s definitely a way that you can go. I’m not saying that that’s set in stone. But we have to look at everything and depending on how the team is playing and where we are, that will have a lot to do with it.”
Guerin said if it makes sense, he would be willing to make moves for futures even if that means taking a couple steps back. He indicated that he does have that latitude from Leipold, who has long resisted a rebuild because of his desire to always keep the lights on at Xcel Energy Center during the playoffs.
Bruce:
Guerin was asked point-blank that if he determines that this team isn’t a true contender, does it even make sense to dismiss Boudreau in-season if that could potentially worsen the Wild’s draft lottery odds. In other words, let Boudreau guide the Wild the rest of the season if that means cordially parting ways after the season and hiring his own guy then.
“I know what you’re saying. I know what you’re saying. I don’t really want to get into that,” Guerin said. “He’s our coach. I have a ton of respect for him and what he’s done in his career and what he’s doing right now and how we’re working together, I really like it. Just like the players, we’ll see where we are. But as of right now, everything is going really, really well with Bruce and I. I like Bruce.”
Asked if Boudreau could theoretically fit beyond this season and be re-signed, Guerin said, “I won’t say no to anything. Those are hard decisions to make, but I won’t say no to anything.”
Kaprizov:
This will be the third Wild GM Kaprizov meets since signing an extension in Russia, but all indications are he will sign with the Wild after his latest KHL contract expires April 30 and debut for the Wild during the 2020-21 season.
“He really wants to come over here next year,” Guerin said. “I have no concerns about him playing and having success.”
But Guerin also wants to dial down expectations, particularly from the Wild’s anxious fan base. Other than online GIFs and dazzling YouTube videos, Kaprizov, who scored the Golden Goal for the Russians in the last Winter Olympics, has been a figment of the imagination of all Wild fans since he was drafted in the fifth round in 2015.
“He’s going to be coming into a new culture, new league,” Guerin said. “Everything’s going to be new, and there’s going to be an adjustment period. There are a lot of different pieces to the puzzle that we need, and he’s one of them. But I don’t want it all put on him to where we throw him out on the ice and everything’s fixed. That’s too much on one person.”

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
obviously just like granlund couldn't walk right in and save us neither will kaprizov be able to. it may take him a year or 2 to adjust to the nhl. i believe that adjustment could go quicker with a Russian speaking C. too soon to rush khovanov who will need atleast one year in the ahl. (probably 2). sooner or later billy g will have to make some hard decisions.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
obviously just like granlund couldn't walk right in and save us neither will kaprizov be able to. it may take him a year or 2 to adjust to the nhl. i believe that adjustment could go quicker with a Russian speaking C. too soon to rush khovanov who will need atleast one year in the ahl. (probably 2). sooner or later billy g will have to make some hard decisions.
The number of Russian centers in the NHL right now is pretty low. Going by EliteProspects because they allow searching by nationality...

cdpHGg4.png

And I think several of those guys (like Namestnikov) have actually been playing wing.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The number of Russians centers in the NHL right now is pretty low. Going by EliteProspects because they allow searching by nationality...

cdpHGg4.png

And I think several of those guys (like Namestnikov) have actually been playing wing.
Probably explains their struggles of late in best on best tournaments.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, we just trade for Malkin...no problem!

Seriously, I don't think it's a bad idea for thenWild to hire a guy who speaks Russian, and can double as a translator . Sort of like what Ichiro had. Easier to do that then get a player who is Russian speaking, though I wouldn't mind getting a look at Svetlakov over here, once we lose Rask. Sokolov is a long way out, it appears.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Fans of team starving for talent get excited for top prospect to make jump to NHL. Details at 11.

I know, I know, but he's a young man... pretty sure he can learn the rudimentary hockey English he needs. The Twin Cities aren't completely barren of Russian speakers... the Wild don't need to add a player just to baby him. But if that's the obstacle... I'm sure Billy can get a good asset in exchange for him.

Not expecting much from this trip other than "very positive conversation"... "he wants to be an NHL player" ... "we're excited to have him" though it's better than him signing a one-year deal with CSKA.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guerin already stated earlier in the year that they’d do whatever they need to do to help him get comfortable here, and if that means hiring someone to help him, they’d do it.

I’m not really worried about forcing a move for a Russian roster player. Players have come over from Russia before. I don’t think Chicago had any Russians when Panarin came over? Khovanov and Firstov came over as juniors came over and they’re fine. I think Kaprizov is probably aware of the relative lack of Russians in the United States.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know, I know, but he's a young man... pretty sure he can learn the rudimentary hockey English he needs. The Twin Cities aren't completely barren of Russian speakers... the Wild don't need to add a player just to baby him. But if that's the obstacle... I'm sure Billy can get a good asset in exchange for him.

Not expecting much from this trip other than "very positive conversation"... "he wants to be an NHL player" ... "we're excited to have him" though it's better than him signing a one-year deal with CSKA.
Admittedly, I do think the idea of signing or trading for players that speak Russian is a bridge too far. Having a Russian interpreter around probably isn't the worst money that Leipold could spend, but acquiring a Designated Buddy is weird on a few levels.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I don't think any team would invest this much effort in a 50 point player so the fact that 3 separate GM's and their staffs see the need to invest tells me that they think he can be a lot more than that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think any team would invest this much effort in a 50 point player so the fact that 3 separate GM's and their staffs see the need to invest tells me that they think he can be a lot more than that.

A 50p player you get for free (or the price of an ELC) is still a cheap 50p player. The Wild have spent less money in trying to get him to come over than what it cost to pay Zucker for 1/4th of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad