News Article: Guerin and Botterill have interviewed for Sabres GM job (Botterill Hired by Buffalo)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bound to happen, re: the poaching.
But i have alot of faith in Mario+JR+Sully and now Gonchar who hopefully gets an expanded role here to stay.
I also like Karmanos and Recchi.

Lets just poach Canes guys and promote em.
They are pretty good at drafting.

Id try and pry Futa away from LA too cuz the Pens GM role will be open quicker than the Kings.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
So we could potentially have both our directors of scouting poached... I would be putting a restriction on that. Maybe say he can take one person with him.

I imagine it would be difficult to offer both of them promotions, as Assistant GM is probably the only position above their current ones.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bound to happen, re: the poaching.
But i have alot of faith in Mario+JR+Sully and now Gonchar who hopefully gets an expanded role here to stay.
I also like Karmanos and Recchi.

Lets just poach Canes guys and promote em.
They are pretty good at drafting.

Id try and pry Futa away from LA too cuz the Pens GM role will be open quicker than the Kings.

Let Futa learn what not to do in LA first and then take him when JR finally retires.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Part of what makes NHL front-office wheeling and dealing is personal relationships, so preventing people from taking promotions wouldn't aid us in the long run. People don't tend to look favorably on employers who prevent them from advancing.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Part of what makes NHL front-office wheeling and dealing is personal relationships, so preventing people from taking promotions wouldn't aid us in the long run. People don't tend to look favorably on employers who prevent them from advancing.

Definitely. Word would get around and it would be harder to recruit people moving forward.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Definitely. Word would get around and it would be harder to recruit people moving forward.

Exactly to both of these. As it is now, I'd think we'd be a premier destination for up and coming talent. So we have that.

The only thing I don't like is if we were to lose the head of scouting before the draft. Actually, losing pro scouts before our biggest free agency in a long time might also be painful but probably easier to overcome. These guys spent all year preparing for the next month.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
in other news, rutherford said he pictures a larger role for gonchar now. wonder what that means exactly.

No clue... but that can only mean good things for us.

I'm not going to say that he's the sole reason Schultz turned things around - Schultz apparently put a ton of work in over the summer. But all we've heard have been great things about him. And given his personal skill level and success he's had at the NHL level, that knowledge is invaluable.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Looks like there will be some moving pieces in our front office in the near future. When Botterill leaves will he take Randy Sexton with him as his new assistant GM? If so, does Jay Heinbuck take back his old position as director of amateur scouting? Will Mark Recchi get promoted from development coach to assistant GM like Guerin has been? Maybe Jacques Martin retires, will Sarge become a full-time assistant coach then? About the only department that looks stable is goalie coaches with Bales and Buckley, and Meloche shipped off to scout in Quebec.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
in other news, rutherford said he pictures a larger role for gonchar now. wonder what that means exactly.

I believe Gonchar's position has only been part time role up to now. I think he and his family are still in Dallas most of the year where his wife runs a charity, and he comes around and helps out every so often. When he took the job initially he did so saying he was going to try it out for a while to see if he likes it, so maybe he's come to the conclusion that this is what he wants and will become a full time coach. Or at least, JR's going to approach him and scope him out about being a full time coach.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
And our gm is old as dirt and could take a downturn in health at the drop of a hat.

The team could wind up being extremely different in the not so distant future, IMO

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And our gm is old as dirt and could take a downturn in health at the drop of a hat.

The team could wind up being extremely different in the not so distant future, IMO

Rutherford is only 68, that's not really "old as dirt". It's not impossible, but I find it pretty unlikely that he'd just have a downturn in health at the drop of a hat. He's old for hockey standards, but not really that old overall.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I believe Gonchar's position has only been part time role up to now. I think he and his family are still in Dallas most of the year where his wife runs a charity, and he comes around and helps out every so often. When he took the job initially he did so saying he was going to try it out for a while to see if he likes it, so maybe he's come to the conclusion that this is what he wants and will become a full time coach. Or at least, JR's going to approach him and scope him out about being a full time coach.

Would explain his name not going on the cup. Still upset over that especially how highly the D guys talk about him and the work has done for them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->