News Article: Guerin and Botterill have interviewed for Sabres GM job (Botterill Hired by Buffalo)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Good for him if he can land a higher position elsewhere.
Surprised they let him interview while our season is still going on

And finally, another possible compensation pick? :naughty:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Do we have any concrete evidence that he's actually a bad assistant GM? Seems like he got a reputation for being an obvious weak link but I'm not sure how.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hope he gets it.. I do not want him taking the reigns from JR.

Do we have any concrete evidence that he's actually a bad assistant GM? Seems like he got a reputation for being an obvious weak link but I'm not sure how.

There's rumors he was behind the LJ/Despres trade. There's also the rumor (from IcedCapp) that he, not Botterill, was in line to be JR's replacement, despite Botterill being higher in the pecking order, much more experienced, and an actual cap and numbers guru.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
There's rumors he was behind the LJ/Despres trade. There's also the rumor (from IcedCapp) that he, not Botterill, was in line to be JR's replacement, despite Botterill being higher in the pecking order, much more experienced, and an actual cap and numbers guru.

Oh, you mean the trade that brought in a guy that became an integral piece of a championship team? Yeah, what a bad GM this guy would be...

I can't believe people still are upset about that trade.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hope he gets it.. I do not want him taking the reigns from JR.

Ah, thanks. Still just rumors though, though I guess IC's been right before.

If that's the case then I wouldn't be sad to see him gone, seems like Botterill has earned it.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Oh, you mean the trade that brought in a guy that became an integral piece of a championship team? Yeah, what a bad GM this guy would be...

I can't believe people still are upset about that trade.

It was still a bad trade from a value standpoint. Despres, at least before his injury, was a better defenseman than Lovejoy and there's nothing to suggest Despres wouldn't have been just as integral, if not more-so, to a Cup run.

And it was a rash decision and they didn't even try to get the highest value possible. I believe the front office admitted that they didn't even shop around and just called up Anaheim and said "hey, take Despres for Lovejoy? Okay cool."

turd

Feb 1, 2013
The way this board viewed Despres was not very far off from the way that MAF nation views Fleury.

But there's no sense discussing this further. That was how many years ago now, and the Pens won a Cup without the guy. Water under the bridge.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think there's a lot more nuance to the Despres trade than people think. Either way, it's a moot point because Despres' career is pretty much over.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's tough to say how good or bad Guerin is without knowing what exactly he does. I don't know how heavily JR features him in the decision making process.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
The way this board viewed Despres was not very far off from the way that MAF nation views Fleury.

But there's no sense discussing this further. That was how many years ago now, and the Pens won a Cup without the guy. Water under the bridge.

Its all nothing more than rumors, and ones started by another anonymous poster on HF.

The fact is nobody really knows what went on with that entire fiasco but this is the internet and speculations run wild.

Like others have already said, its water under the bridge now and it certainly looks like the kid's career is over. A real shame.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wonder why Botteril isn't getting interviewed?

Maybe he doesn't want that job? I mean you interview for a job because you are interested, which Bill Guerin seems to be, but if you're happy with your current situation and your trajectory, why even bother?

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
It's tough to say how good or bad Guerin is without knowing what exactly he does. I don't know how heavily JR features him in the decision making process.

Nonsense, HF board posters have declared him incompetent and unfit for duty as a GM. Case closed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Part was rumors, part was JR immediately distancing himself from the Despres trade and all but saying 'don't blame me, I was overruled'. So behind the smoke is some logic. If not JR and his people, who then? Morehouse and Guerin are the obvious candidates.

Also JR and his analytics boys he brought in from the Canes, and hired after, seem to have become much more integral to the decision making process just after that trade. It would explain why Billy G might want to move on.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Its all nothing more than rumors, and ones started by another anonymous poster on HF.

The fact is nobody really knows what went on with that entire fiasco but this is the internet and speculations run wild.

Normally I'd agree with this take, but that poster had a track record of having correct information before things were made public. Hard to go against someone who had proven reliable previously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad