Guentzel the next generation?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You guys need to read the main board more. The captain will be whatever player we get when Uncle Gary grants us the first pick in the draft again.
But which first overall pick? We are going to get 2 of them after all.
tenor.gif

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Malkin’s contract has 3 seasons left. MacKinnon becomes a UFA the following year. Just saying...

2023-24:

Guentzel Crosby McCann
Poulin MacKinnon Legare
Bjorkvist Hallander Kahun
Bellerive Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin Dumba
Pettersson Addison
Joseph Gudbranson
Almari Marino

Murray
Larmi
I've never been so aroused by a HFB post.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Malkin’s contract has 3 seasons left. MacKinnon becomes a UFA the following year. Just saying...

2023-24:

Guentzel Crosby McCann
Poulin MacKinnon Legare
Bjorkvist Hallander Kahun
Bellerive Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin Dumba
Pettersson Addison
Joseph Gudbranson
Almari Marino

Murray
Larmi

That'd be a Lebron/Kawhi-level power move.

I like it.

Sid's good nature and "face of the game" status has to have some practical purpose beyond Tim Horton's sponsorship. Crosby and Brisson can orchestrate it. Pens can send a representative to every Avs game and single him out for praise to the media.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Colorado is likely giving MacKinnon a blank check
after the way they ****ed him with the current contract.

Dont disagree but he was fairly average when he signed that deal. It's only been a steal this last year+ once he broke out.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Guentzel will be past his prime once Sid retires. Hopefully JR will be long gone by then so we can have a solid farm system to take over.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake was 22 when he broke the NHL. College players to me, have a different shelf life. I think he has a few more good years in him than the cutoff people have him pencilled in for

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't remember any drama with the MacKinnon contract in 2016 ... He just outperforming it, like Josi and others.
I think he was looking for his big pay day and he hadn't earned it yet like others that cashed in without doing as much as even he did at that point.

At this point, if the Avs needed to sign him now, he's looking at 11m+ a year. But since his contract is up in 2023, who knows how good he will be at that point, maybe he's peaking right now and he starts to dip around that age.

In any case, that contract is a f***ing bargain. Imagine getting a 90+ pt player for 6.3m/yr for 4 more years.

The last bargain the league had was Kucherov and his was just a matter of time before the new contract kicked in, but even at 9.5m/yr, Kucherov is at a good bargain, but MacKinnon is the league's best bargain.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Avs better win big in the next 4 years. They're gonna be in cap hell once Mack and co need big boy contracts.

We were fortunate to not experience cap hell like Chicago did, but I think it was silly of Shero to not sign Geno and Tanger to those cap circumvention contracts when they were legal. Would be nice to have Geno at $6m per year instead of $9.5.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I think it was silly of Shero to not sign Geno and Tanger to those cap circumvention contracts when they were legal. Would be nice to have Geno at $6m per year instead of $9.5.
This couldn't be happen since booth Malkin and Letang couldn't sign their new contract before the summer of 2013 when the 8 years limit kicked in.
And you wouldn't had Malkin for 6m, but of course 8.7m like Crosby, probably same 12 years contract. Will see in 3 years what will happen with Malkin at age 36.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This couldn't be happen since booth Malkin and Letang couldn't sign their new contract before the summer of 2013 when the 8 years limit kicked in.
And you wouldn't had Malkin for 6m, but of course 8.7m like Crosby, probably same 12 years contract. Will see in 3 years what will happen with Malkin at age 36.
I think Geno will still be an elite player, the issue with Geno isn't his decline, it's more so his desire to stay in the NHL at that age.

I think even at 36, Geno will be a 70-80pt player. The guy is the most natural talent in the league.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I'm certainly not complaining about their contracts. The Pens were fortunate to never have experience cap hell like other teams did. But it should would be nice to take advance of that loop hole when it was available.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I'm certainly not complaining about their contracts. The Pens were fortunate to never have experience cap hell like other teams did. But it should would be nice to take advance of that loop hole when it was available.
The "loophole" was available only at the end of his ELC contract. The only comparable 2008 contract is Ovechkin 9.5m - 13 years contract, so with Malkin we never would had him at 6m.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The "loophole" was available only at the end of his ELC contract. The only comparable 2008 contract is Ovechkin 9.5m - 13 years contract, so with Malkin we never would had him at 6m.
This is not true. Kovalchuk signed his 15 year contract in 2010. They changed it in 2012 during the lockout.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
This is not true. Kovalchuk signed his 15 year contract in 2010. They changed it in 2012 during the lockout.
Malkin 5-year contract expired in 2014, so he couldn't sign anything before July 1st 2013, when the loophole was close. So the only moment he could had be signed a longer contract it was after his ELC expired in 2009. And the only comparable contract were Crosby 5-year 8.7m that bridge them to UFA, or an Ovechkin like 13-year 9.5m contract.
I was just trying to say that you never get Malkin at 6m even on a longer contract.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Guentzel will be the Pens new Straka...as in the player that was here for a bit while the team had top end talent, and then hung around for a few years when the team was struggling. The only difference is that Straka at least had Kovelev around to lighten the load (actually try to carry it). I don't see a player currently in the system that can fill Kovelev's roll.

Then again as Pens fans we are really spoiled. We haven't had to worry about not having generational talent on the team since before Mario was drafted (except a few years before Crosby got here).

Reactions: theicebox

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Thank you the feedback everyone. From the next 'Captain" to the next Marty Straka, wow so many differing opinions.
I guess we can mostly agree that we damn better get another 1C from Uncle Bettman soon.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thank you the feedback everyone. From the next 'Captain" to the next Marty Straka, wow so many differing opinions.
I guess we can mostly agree that we damn better get another 1C from Uncle Bettman soon.

I mean, Straka was a pretty damn good player, before the injuries. It's no mean shakes.

It's also a lot harder to build a team around a wing, even a generational one at that, and while Jake is good, he's probably not going to be a first ballot HHOFer. :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, Straka was a pretty damn good player, before the injuries. It's no mean shakes.

It's also a lot harder to build a team around a wing, even a generational one at that, and while Jake is good, he's probably not going to be a first ballot HHOFer. :dunno:
I don't know what's worse, that people that you quote think Straka isn't good or a good person to be compared to or that Jake's prime or his good years are very limited.

I think people forget how good Martin Straka was.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad