Guentzel the next generation?

Bowski

Why did you wake me up from my nap?
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Wondering what Pens' fans thoughts are about Jake The Beavis Snake's future with this team, and also somewhat similarly aged (older/younger) players like Dumoulin.

Are they here to squeeze out the best of Sid/Geno in their final years and then move on, or can they move forward with this franchise on their own during the inevitable major transition phase?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Neither has the skillset to be the main on a good NHL team. Super important guys, but ultimately not the guys who can help dictate a game by having the puck on their stick. Way too many variables to know what happens after Sid and Geno in general, but they weren't be the core of a serious contender team post-Sid.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Guentzel is the Captain after Crosby and Malkin retire, which hopefully won't be until toward the end of the next decade.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Depends on how Poulin Legare and Addison develope. Hope by the time Crosby and Malkin are in their final stages the Pens can have enough of a cast around them that they aren't just about 4 or 5 guys running the show.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Depends on how Poulin Legare and Addison develope. Hope by the time Crosby and Malkin are in their final stages the Pens can have enough of a cast around them that they aren't just about 4 or 5 guys running the show.

Even if everything goes right there, there's still the issue of there being no 1C or 1D (unless Addison exceeds his probable ceiling). That seems pretty difficult to get around in terms of continuing the way we are.

Maybe we can get defence by committee, but trying to survive through awesome Ws and meh Cs seems unlikely. Finding another 1C seems to be the only way to keep going post-Sid and Geno - I feel like the most likely way that happens is if Geno leaves a bit prior to Sid and we really luck out in replacing him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Guentzel sticks around. He'd be the perfect guy to help our generational lotto picks acclimate after Sid retires.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Neither has the skillset to be the main on a good NHL team. Super important guys, but ultimately not the guys who can help dictate a game by having the puck on their stick. Way too many variables to know what happens after Sid and Geno in general, but they weren't be the core of a serious contender team post-Sid.

Yeah I love Jake but I agree. He's much closer to a complimentary player (albeit a very good one) than a star.

Honestly I think this team has had a golden horseshoe crammed up it's ass for a long while, sans like 5 really horrible years. It's probably gonna be tough sledding re: franchise players for a bit. I sure wouldn't expect two or three at a time, again... at least any time soon.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pens are setting themselves up for Alexis Lafrenière - Wikipedia

All will be right again.

I mean, that’s the best part of these twilight years. We won as many cups and went to more finals than every other team during the Sid and Malkin era. They both did everything we could ask of them (aside from Geno having international success during his prime) and if they suck we likely get better assets to extend the window unless JR is an ass.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Are they here to squeeze out the best of Sid/Geno in their final years and then move on, or can they move forward with this franchise on their own during the inevitable major transition phase?

I expect them (i.e., Jake, Dumo, etc.) to be moved at some point. Murray is the only guy I see staying here for the long haul.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Once Sid and Geno drop off, the team is tanking whether we want to or not. I wouldn't expect many, if any, currently on the team currently to survive that mayhem.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Once Sid and Geno drop off, the team is tanking whether we want to or not. I wouldn't expect many, if any, currently on the team currently to survive that mayhem.

I don't think that's at all certain. I feel like I can see a few scenarios where that doesn't happen. Murray finds his consistency and becomes a Vezina candidate most seasons is one - rest of the team basically has to suck for a tank to happen. Malkin going home at the end of this current contract and the team finding another 1C, one who can carry a big load after Sid's done too, is another. Or maybe they both go at once, but the team's retooled around them and have an extremely strong group of Ws and top 4, and that carries us to being a bubble team like Minnesota were. Then there's the "wildly overachieving coach with super strong defensive structure" scenario, and the scenarios where we get obxnoxiously lucky in our drafting without actually tanking.

Not sure how I'd put the probability, but this team dropping to tank status the moment Sid and Geno are done is not a done deal.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Malkin’s contract has 3 seasons left. MacKinnon becomes a UFA the following year. Just saying...

2023-24:

Guentzel Crosby McCann
Poulin MacKinnon Legare
Bjorkvist Hallander Kahun
Bellerive Blueger Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin Dumba
Pettersson Addison
Joseph Gudbranson
Almari Marino

Murray
Larmi

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
You guys need to read the main board more. The captain will be whatever player we get when Uncle Gary grants us the first pick in the draft again.
The main board would be absolutely glorious if the Pens were to somehow win the lottery when the next true generational talent is available. It would be almost as enjoyable as the potential future championships, etc. that could come with it. Everyone would have triple layered tinfoil hats on over there. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Nah, Guentzel will be over 30 once Sid hangs it up and we will be shit for a few years so he might bolt once he hits ufa...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->