Guelph Storm coach suggests "go out there and break someone's wrist."???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Its a tough game and sometimes people get caught up in the emotion. I think people give this kind of thing to much attention. I have heard worse things when I played.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Bobby Clarke would be so proud. And no, people don't make too much out of this.

This is bounty, and this "get 'em" attitude is why Todd Bertuzzi is in the poop list of the hockey world.

The ideology has to be very generic. "Someone hit somebody. Take it to these guys."

Specific instruction to injure a player should be penalized. Especially when the act is carried out to it's end.

I don't have a problem with the coach encouraging emotion, even suggesting to a player that they go and fight someone.

"Someone go out there and beat the (insert fecal synonym here) out of someone!!"

This, I hope will be dealt with by the league.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
This Happens everyday in competetive hockey, those know who have played the game. Cant blame him I bet Dale Hunter has told his team to do worst things, he was a GOON

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
tuckerdomi said:
This Happens everyday in competetive hockey, those know who have played the game. Cant blame him I bet Dale Hunter has told his team to do worst things, he was a GOON
Then someone should be held accountable for Ryan Pottruff's slash. I would say that Dave Barr should.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
sec17 said:
Prove it, Captain Hearsay and Conjecture.

Near as I can tell, the worst thing Dale has done is make a "glasses" gesture with his fingers over his eyes towards the ref. He got suspended for that for crying out loud.

Those same people that viewed that as a grave error in judgement by Dale sure as hell better lay down the law for this.

Tom

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Bertuzzi used to play in Guelph...maybe it was really him behind the scenes telling Dave Barr to tell someone to take somebody out ;-)

The London Knights and the Guelph Storm have a good rivalry. Sometimes things get out of hand, but it's not like this is the first time a coach has SUPPOSEDLY said something along those lines, nor is it the first time a player has been two handed.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
Near as I can tell, the worst thing Dale has done is make a "glasses" gesture with his fingers over his eyes towards the ref. He got suspended for that for crying out loud.

Those same people that viewed that as a grave error in judgement by Dale sure as hell better lay down the law for this.

Tom
As much as I hate to agree...... Dale is a complete ass, but I've never seen him pull garbage like this.

Dave Barr was way out of line -- I suspect both he and Pottruff will be watching the Storm games for the rest of this year (which may only be another day) and into next season. I'll be interested in hearing Barr's attempt at defending his actions.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Somehow I have this feeling that Dave Hunter knows how to deal with this kind of stuff...Expect few linebrawls tonight...

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Charlie_Girl49 said:
As much as I hate to agree...... Dale is a complete ass, but I've never seen him pull garbage like this.

Dave Barr was way out of line -- I suspect both he and Pottruff will be watching the Storm games for the rest of this year (which may only be another day) and into next season. I'll be interested in hearing Barr's attempt at defending his actions.

Go read it on TSN if you want to hear his defending of himself.

He denies having done it. Just as expected.

They both got indefinite suspensions, a hearing is supposedly taking place soon.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Pepper said:
Somehow I have this feeling that Dave Hunter knows how to deal with this kind of stuff...Expect few linebrawls tonight...

Won't be out of the ordinary for a Storm/Knights game anyways. The Knights have always used physical presence as a way of trying to win, this season they've got talent, but in the past they've had to try to be the tough guys. I hope there's some good fights tonight. Might bring back memories of the Bertuzzi years for me, he was a monster for us.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I just saw the replay...... it wasn't a vicious slash as the reports lead you to believe. It was no different than most whacks at the other player's stick. That's not to say it didn't deserve a penalty - it did, but it looked as though it hit Perry on the leg.

Barr deserves a suspension if he said what is alleged, but there's no way Pottruff gets suspended for that slash in any other game (or should I say, against any other player?)

mackdogs*

tuckerdomi said:
I would like to see someone take Corey Perry out :biglaugh: he's gutless, cant wait to hear what you all have to say about me :D
Wouldn't the person in this case who 'took Perry out' be gutless?

Here's what I have to say about you - stop trolling.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Charlie_Girl49 said:

Woah there hold on! First off the London Knights are a very dirty Hockey club. They play "Hunter" hockey and dont think that at some time behind the scenes Dale hasnt instructed them to be cheap. And to never think of hunter doing anything like this then ask Pierre Turgeon. We all know the story. Or even Joe Nieuwendyk. Back in '89 Hunter took him for a ride and put his face right into the turnbuckle on the bench. Yeah I've heard of taking your man out but he was just flat out cheap on that play. So to answer your question I believe Hunter is capable of anything.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2005/03/29/975085-sun.html

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/Sports/2005/03/29/975094-sun.html

Some good quotes from the articles, I like London's team toughness:

Robbie Schremp:

"In my opinion, I think it's pretty classless," Schremp said. "If they want to play that game, we've got three or four of the toughest guys in the league.

"We're beating them on he scoreboard and if they want to get their lunch fed to them, they can start doing that crap, too . . . if it comes to that (tonight), we know how to handle ourselves."

Coach Hunter:

The Knights might not be the most physical team in the world, but they won't be intimidated.

After the Storm turned frisky, Hunter sent out Josh Beaulieu, Kelly Thomson and Brandon Prust initially.

"I sent out my three strongest players," said Hunter. "Everything turned quiet after that, right? They didn't want anything to do with that."

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Woah there hold on! First off the London Knights are a very dirty Hockey club. They play "Hunter" hockey and dont think that at some time behind the scenes Dale hasnt instructed them to be cheap.
I don't disagree that Hunter could pull this kind of crap - I've seen Hunter Hockey for some time now, and I hate the team more than any other team in the CHL -- and that goes back a few years when they weren't the powerhouse they are now. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that he's quietly given a player instructions (read: Danny Bois), but the key is that it was done behind the scenes. I've not seen him blatantly tell a player to deliberately injure an opponent. Barr earned the lengthy suspension he's probably going to get.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Big Phil said:
Charlie_Girl49 said:

Woah there hold on! First off the London Knights are a very dirty Hockey club. They play "Hunter" hockey and dont think that at some time behind the scenes Dale hasnt instructed them to be cheap. And to never think of hunter doing anything like this then ask Pierre Turgeon. We all know the story. Or even Joe Nieuwendyk. Back in '89 Hunter took him for a ride and put his face right into the turnbuckle on the bench. Yeah I've heard of taking your man out but he was just flat out cheap on that play. So to answer your question I believe Hunter is capable of anything.

Hey buddy there aint nothing wrong with Hunter hockey! :madfire:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Mr.Hunter74 said:
Hey buddy there aint nothing wrong with Hunter hockey! :madfire:

That's why he never won a Stanley Cup eh? And the only final he was ever in he got swept? I guess Hunter Hockey is as to why they lost to the Guelph Storm last year in the OHL. They dont have the Mem. Cup in the bag yet, dont jump on your high horse, they were supposed to win last year.

Chistov23

Jul 15, 2003
Memorial Cup 2005
Visit site
Big Phil said:
they were supposed to win last year.

Why? They had 7 more points than Guelph last year. Anyone who follows the knights knows the team was built for this season in hopes to host the mem cup. London and Guelph were together all year last season and Guelph gave London tons of problems in the reguler season. It went to game 7 and could have gone either way. Guelph won last year and hopefully London will win this year, like they are suppose to (the OHL that is).
And the only final he was ever in he got swept
So they got swept because Hunter was on the team? :dunno:

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Chistov23 said:
So they got swept because Hunter was on the team? :dunno:

Yeah no kidding, I hate it when people bring up that Stanley cup argument, Hunter was a dirty player but he did have a solid career it just so happened that things never worked out for his teams in terms of a championship. Did Ray Bourque suck for the first 22 years of his career because he didn't win the cup.

FlyersFan10*

No big deal. If we're at it then, let's go out of our way and suspend coaches who tell their team to run the other team into the ground or do whatever it takes to win. If anyone really thinks Barr was serious, think again. It's a heat of the moment thing. I'd be more worried about incidents where David Keefe (a David Frost client) jumped Mike Danton's younger brother in a game. That's the kind of stuff that we need to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad