Guelph Storm 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Pavel Gogolev has 10 points in 11 AHL games for the Toronto Marlies including three consecutive game winners. Hoping he turns out to be a great find for the Leafs down the road.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
It is interesting to see at least four Storm players are participating in the Erie Hockey Showcase. Cooper Walker and Braeden Bowman each have eight points while Ben McFarlane and Clark Hiebert each have four points. They have played between eight and nine games. It has been said that the NHL might organize some prospect games before the July NHL draft. As long as the OHL and the Ontario Government are not involved in organizing these might actually occur.

geo105

May 3, 2014
Does anyone know anything about the two guys we picked in the Euro draft?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Does anyone know anything about the two guys we picked in the Euro draft?

The 2nd rounder is coming

1st rounder Kevin Niedenz officially coming over, per his German team

Neuigkeiten zum Haie-Kader | Kölner Haie

German to English translation:
"In this year's draft of the Canadian Junior League CHL, two young sharks were selected. With Kevin Niedenz (Oshawa Generals) and Leo Hafenrichter (Guelph Storm), two Cologne players will compete in the Ontario Hockey League for the new season."

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Has anybody heard from the team if people are being allowed to watch games and how many? Plus are they going to try to keep social distancing and if so, how is that going to work since most of my section is season ticket holders.

I’m just surprised given how close to training camp we are, there’s been no communication on transition plans back to the rink.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Has anybody heard from the team if people are being allowed to watch games and how many? Plus are they going to try to keep social distancing and if so, how is that going to work since most of my section is season ticket holders.

I’m just surprised given how close to training camp we are, there’s been no communication on transition plans back to the rink.

I think with the way things are heading again in the province, they're going to wait until the last possible minute for these announcements. No point making a decision now that looks bad in two weeks.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I think with the way things are heading again in the province, they're going to wait until the last possible minute for these announcements. No point making a decision now that looks bad in two weeks.

If the Nighthawks were allowed fans of a 1000, I would hope that the Stormcould have the same courtesy

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
All indications are that the government is not retracting capacity limits, health measures, specifically mandatory vaccination, are being adopted to allow for progression into "moving beyond the roadmap" and increased capacity limits. The government is wordy at the best of times, and weren't entirely forth coming with what "health measures" might mean. I think they were also taken off guard by how quickly the targets were met.
The OHL have about a month and a half to get this sorted out, they have already instituted a league wide vaccination policy for players, staff and billets. It would be completely logical that they will impose the same policies on spectators in an effort to keep people as safe as possible. The standard is being set by the government with their announcement yesterday.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Ontario pausing reopening has maybe made things more murky?

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to know, I'm just saying I understand why they are taking their time....there's no real rush.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Everything I've heard is that, as of now, it will be capped at 1000. That's obviously subject to change. Hopefully that number increases.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I’m not sure what the number of season ticket holders is but I would assume it’s over 1000. If that’s the case how will they decide who can attend and who can’t. Also if they want to social distance, some sections will be impacted, 101, 102 and 120 are heavily populated by season ticket holders, that will require some to be moved to other sections and you’d hope the Storm would like to give those people equivalent seating options.

There’s lots of work and planning to still be done and some advanced notice would be nice.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Nice to see that the youngest Pastujov boy has chosen the OHL. The first 2 boys were both highly touted prospects in their own regard but the NCAA route did very little for them development-wise unfortunately and it was reflected in their plummeting down the draft in their respective years. I think commuting to the Storm is an extremely wise decision by this young man.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Greetings folks, long time no talk. Glad that hockey is back.

I was able to watch the first two periods tonight before needing to get home.
Scratches were: Chayka, Pastujov, Bianconi, Sikic, both imports, and Bennet. So a battle of who will get the second goalie spot.

Here are my impressions:
Bowman jumped out at me. For a kid that only go the pre-season look before Covid, he has obviously been working in the off season. Some smart passes and little plays that show he is ready. He's not likely a top 6 this year, but it was refreshing to see and he has a great GAF.
Papais with the nifty goal in close. Poitras had chances, seemed a bit frustrated when he didn't get a pass he wanted... hoping he can keep his cool and show us what he's got over the season.
Goalie Grimes... only got to see 10 minutes of his play as he was in for the back half, but I was impressed. He faced a lot of good chances in those 10 minutes and stood tall, was calm, and played a great positional game. He also handled the puck well out of the net.
Zhilkin had a short handed break away that didn't convert, but it will be exciting to see him with Pastujov.

All in all, I am excited for this season. I appreciated that for the pre-season game they blocked off odd numbered rows for better social distancing and had it GA for those with tickets otherwise. It will be interesting to see how they manage it with the reg. season in terms of assigned seating but as with everything these days, one day at a time.

Edit note: Edited on goal scorer, tired. Didn't see the goals on Grimes that came after I left, but I would put money on him dressing for the reg season over Oster.

Last edited:

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Right on the money StormWatcher with your summary. For those who have a subscription to The Athletic, Eric Stephens has an insightful article on August 27, 2021 that indicates that the tipping point for Sasha Pastujov's coming to the Storm was his need to work on his skating and the opportunity to work with skating coach Barbara Underhill. If you don't have a subscription to The Athletic, you can go to the Ducks HF Boards thread and there is a topic about Pastujov in general. The entries on August 28 have the link to that article.

Reactions: StormWatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad