Guelph Storm 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
The Storm sign their 9th round pick from 2017 Clark Hiebert. A defenceman who is 6 foot 2, 180lbs. He had 27pts in 53 games for the Burlington Cougars this past season.
As my post earlier stated, we have another 2017 pick defenceman that should be brought in to try and crack the line up. Had a great year in Elmira with 26pts in 41 games, he's 6 foot 3, 194lbs.

Reactions: storm surge

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
As my post earlier stated, we have another 2017 pick defenceman that should be brought in to try and crack the line up. Had a great year in Elmira with 26pts in 41 games, he's 6 foot 3, 194lbs.

The question would be whether or not Burley can handle the defensive responsibility of the OHL. If i'm not mistaken, the switch to defence is a very recent one, he was drafted as a winger.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Just wondering if the Storm is going to bring Popovich back for training camp

I have no reason to believe management isn't trying to move one of Popovich or Daws (with Poppy being the more likely candidate) but until a move becomes official I would expect them both to attend camp.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
I think we could get more for Popovich on the trade market. He'd be a good pick up for a contender needing a good back up. I also feel we should be giving our younger guys the opportunity to learn while playing. This is a rebuilding year, rebuild for the crease out.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I think we could get more for Popovich on the trade market. He'd be a good pick up for a contender needing a good back up. I also feel we should be giving our younger guys the opportunity to learn while playing. This is a rebuilding year, rebuild for the crease out.

The only issue with that is most teams aren't wasting an OA spot on a backup goalie. In general, the OA goalie market is usually pretty dry.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

I kind of hope this isn't true, it's just delaying the inevitable. This squad is much worse then the 14-15 team and should be embracing a rebuild and selling off any and all veterans.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
This news just solidifies my take in the predictions thread....this team will NOT finish last.

There is enough returning talent to not be terrible, and I've never felt that GMGB had the stomach for a true rebuild.

I'd prefer they sold off everything that wasn't tied down, but for some reason, I don't see that happening!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I like the mix of players in camp..hope they keep the best..hava good feeling about this recipe..but wooda thought an OA D..before a winger....we are shallow and young and small overall on D..maybe with a young developing line up ...it will force GB..to PLAY them all..... I hope so..Remember Jacques Martin.. he played em all..with a fantastic def system.. and a Roberts leading them..and won it all.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
This news just solidifies my take in the predictions thread....this team will NOT finish last.

There is enough returning talent to not be terrible, and I've never felt that GMGB had the stomach for a true rebuild.

I'd prefer they sold off everything that wasn't tied down, but for some reason, I don't see that happening!

Most of the older assets that would have had value in trades are graduating out of the OHL. Trade anyone else and you can't ice a team. Maybe a Hawel deadline trade. But otherwise it will be a decent young team. Draft well again next year and it's all good.

Gogolev/Hillis/Stevenson
Ralph(OA)/Hawel(OA)/Uba
Roberts(OA)/Collins/McFarlane
Bakanov/Zhilkin/Maillet
Roach?Sikic?Papais?

Bychkov/Chayka
Terry/Lalonde
Profaca/Hiebert

Bennet
Daws

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Guelph looks good enough right now to be a playoff team, imo. It’s next season with few ‘01 born that could be tough.
I think bringing in 19 yr olds potentially good enough for an OA season makes it easier to trade away Hawel, Hillis, Gogalev, Lalonde, Popovich if the demand is there at some point this season.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Any idea what's going on with Grant? Big fast 18 yrs old, was a Black Ace in last year's playoff run. The game I saw him against london he didn't look out of place.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Guelph looks good enough right now to be a playoff team, imo. It’s next season with few ‘01 born that could be tough.
I think bringing in 19 yr olds potentially good enough for an OA season makes it easier to trade away Hawel, Hillis, Gogalev, Lalonde, Popovich if the demand is there at some point this season.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I did have Guelph penciled in for a non-playoff position but after looking at that roster, people might want to reconsider that. I don't know if GB has it in him to do a big sell off and if he doesn't, Guelph looks capable of playing in the postseason.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Most of the older assets that would have had value in trades are graduating out of the OHL. Trade anyone else and you can't ice a team. Maybe a Hawel deadline trade. But otherwise it will be a decent young team. Draft well again next year and it's all good.

This is the problem though, it's going to be really hard to draft well with a lack of picks.

The championship was well worth it, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, but the fact is over the next five drafts we have a single 2nd and a two 3rds.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
This is the problem though, it's going to be really hard to draft well with a lack of picks.

The championship was well worth it, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, but the fact is over the next five drafts we have a single 2nd and a two 3rds.
for 5 years Surge?..thats not good at all....

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
did you guys do this last time with dickerson/bertuzzi and it set things back a few years? not wanting to take a step back to make a step or two forward. sounds like a mistake

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
We will have valuable assets at the trade deadline. Don't standing pat as we have in the past will happen. History has to prove a lesson, learn from it.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
did you guys do this last time with dickerson/bertuzzi and it set things back a few years? not wanting to take a step back to make a step or two forward. sounds like a mistake

It's a bit different because most from last year's championship are graduating to the NHL/AHL. Last time we had big name returnees worth a lot: Dickinson, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, and Harpur (Harpur did get traded and we got Givani Smith.) This year what big names will give you a return? Hillis (injured most of last year and has been named captain), Gogolev? Maybe tradeable if there was a big offer. Popovich will be gone with Bennett in. Hawel is an OA so depending on the market...

I don't think Burnett is afraid to make deals either way if it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad