Guelph Storm 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Disappointed to see no teams drafted one of our boys this weekend. Only the third year in Storm history where no players were chosen. (The other years were 2010 and 2015)

According to Larry though Poppy has already been contacted by Carolina for a camp invite. I'd imagine some of the others will too.

Reactions: hocknow

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Disappointed to see no teams drafted one of our boys this weekend. Only the third year in Storm history where no players were chosen. (The other years were 2010 and 2015)

According to Larry though Poppy has already been contacted by Carolina for a camp invite. I'd imagine some of the others will too.

I heard that Ralph is invited to the Florida Panthers development camp......nice for him.

Reactions: nelli27 and hocknow

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Disappointed to see no teams drafted one of our boys this weekend. Only the third year in Storm history where no players were chosen. (The other years were 2010 and 2015

I would guess a result of having such a deep veteran team where all the elite players were already drafted in previous drafts? Wouldn't read to much into it based on that alone.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
hope we draft 2 solid D.. in import draft..if some teams pass .. should still be 2 good to very good players available ..we need size and depth..or best player.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
pick in 2nd round is 74th with passes .. please pick Storm..we need depth..(D).
Bakanov looks good....You tube..

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
There's the D. 18-year old Russian Roman Bychkov was selected in the 5th round by the Bruins in the NHL draft. Welcome to Roman and Andrei! Looking forward to seeing them at camp.

Reactions: storm surge

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Post Import Draft lineup predictions:

Gogolev/Hillis/Stevenson
Zhilkin/Ralph/Bakanov
Collins/Maillet/Roberts
Roach/Sikic/McFarlane
Papais

Bychkov/Chayka
Terry/Lalonde
?/Profaca
?

Bennett
Daws

My guess is they move Popovich to recoup assets following the signing of Bennett. He's 17 and my guess is he wouldn't have passed up a scholarship if he wasn't looking at ice time.

I'm good with the forwards as it's a development year - young.
The defense needs work. Is Brendan Boyce good enough to play in the OHL? Can they convince Dylan Gratton to report? A trade? Time will tell.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

Gogolev/Hillis/Stevenson
Zhilkin/Ralph/Bakanov
Collins/Maillet/Roberts
Roach/Sikic/McFarlane
Papais

Bychkov/Chayka
Terry/Lalonde
?/Profaca
?

Bennett
Daws

My guess is they move Popovich to recoup assets following the signing of Bennett. He's 17 and my guess is he wouldn't have passed up a scholarship if he wasn't looking at ice time.

The defense needs work. Is Brendan Boyce good enough to play in the OHL? Can they convince Dylan Gratton to report? A trade? Time will tell.
woot woot .... LOL.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I think they should give 2017 14th round pick defenceman Jonah Burley a crack. With the Elmira Sugar Kings he is 6’3 194lbs. He was 12-14 for 26pts in 41 games played.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Any information on whether Liam Hawel might be back? He was at the Montreal Canadiens prospects camp but there was no indication he was or will be offered a pro contract so far.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019

Gogolev/Hillis/Stevenson
Zhilkin/Ralph/Bakanov
Collins/Maillet/Roberts
Roach/Sikic/McFarlane
Papais

Bychkov/Chayka
Terry/Lalonde
?/Profaca
?

Bennett
Daws

If you are counting on Zhilkin being a second liner any time soon then you are in big trouble my friend

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
GB seldom works in 1st year guys... but heez got very little depth in veterans.. lookin frwd to scrimmages.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
If you are counting on Zhilkin being a second liner any time soon then you are in big trouble my friend

What have you seen that concerns you? Guelph doesn't have a lot of options, if Hawel comes back that would slot him down to the third line. Our 1st round pick will have to learn by doing and not watching next year. I'm all for a meritocracy though, if his GAF meter is low or there is someone else outplaying him, by all means shuffle it around.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
What have you seen that concerns you? Guelph doesn't have a lot of options, if Hawel comes back that would slot him down to the third line. Our 1st round pick will have to learn by doing and not watching next year. I'm all for a meritocracy though, if his GAF meter is low or there is someone else outplaying him, by all means shuffle it around.

I just think you are asking a kid to do a lot in his first year......he was a second liner in Minor Midget so how can you expect him to be a second liner in the OHL right out of the gate.

mlzy

Feb 7, 2009
Just wanted to drop a note and let you guys know that I joined as a storm watcher during the playoffs and what a ride it was. I loved going to the Sleeman Center and the whole setup in Guelph. I don't really have a favorite OHL team, I am basically just a junior hockey fan and it was an amazing experience. All of the Storm fans at the games were great! Look forward to visiting again in the future!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I really thought someone would take Gogolev in the later rounds of the NHL draft... What type of bounce back season do you expect out of him?
I am a huge fan of young Gogolev..I believe he is brilliantly talented and fine leadership quality...I remember his Peterborough work with Per Aug..what fine work..The ankle injury was a devastating blow.. and he likely never regained his edge....I look forward with good expectation to a fine season from Mr. Gogolev... I certainly believe in him..and that he will get the status to come which I believe is his due....will be in stands cheering him and his team on.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
The Storm sign their 9th round pick from 2017 Clark Hiebert. A defenceman who is 6 foot 2, 180lbs. He had 27pts in 53 games for the Burlington Cougars this past season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad