Guelph Storm 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
How many returning players from this year’s squad ??

Forwards:

Ralph
Hillis
Stevenson
Gogolev
Roberts
Collins
McFarlane

Defence:
Likely Gordeev
Lalonde
Chayka
Terry

In the system and likely to get a spot:
Papais (F)
Newly signed Roach (F)
Profaca (very good D prospect.)

Hoping this year's draft with Zhilkin et al is ready to go. Both import spots are open so that will be an important draft too.

In the hockey hangover now. So proud of this squad.

Reactions: storm surge

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hi Storm fans, from a friendly OS fan...
It was a pleasure following and getting to watch most games during your playoff run and the Memorial Cup. Too bad the Storm couldn't win it all but still quite the ride!
As for your roster for this coming season, I can see management moving 00/Hillis, 99/Gordeev and 99/Popovich for sure in an attempt to re-coup a few younger players and draft picks.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Forwards:

Ralph
Hillis
Stevenson
Gogolev
Roberts
Collins
McFarlane

Defence:
Likely Gordeev
Lalonde
Chayka
Terry

In the system and likely to get a spot:
Papais (F)
Newly signed Roach (F)
Profaca (very good D prospect.)

Hoping this year's draft with Zhilkin et al is ready to go. Both import spots are open so that will be an important draft too.

In the hockey hangover now. So proud of this squad.

Believe that Hawal remains unsigned by Dallas and may be a candidate to return as well. This would mean another OA would not return though.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Just curious... as a Sarnia supporter where the idea of perpetual mediocrity seems to be the plan, how does your fan base feel about the “Guelph way” where your team really sucks for a couple years, then mortgages the future for a VERY successful one-year run, likely to be followed by a couple of really bad rebuilding years over the next couple seasons?
I think it’s great that your fan base was rewarded big time this year for their patience over the past couple seasons. Not sure that the Sarnia franchise could survive what happened in your town in 2015-16 and 2016-17. We’d get 1000 fans per game, and whining/howling that would be heard province-wide.
Anyway, congrats on a great run, a management team with a vision and the guts to commit to it.

Reactions: Lumberking

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Just curious... as a Sarnia supporter where the idea of perpetual mediocrity seems to be the plan, how does your fan base feel about the “Guelph way” where your team really sucks for a couple years, then mortgages the future for a VERY successful one-year run, likely to be followed by a couple of really bad rebuilding years over the next couple seasons?
I think it’s great that your fan base was rewarded big time this year for their patience over the past couple seasons. Not sure that the Sarnia franchise could survive what happened in your town in 2015-16 and 2016-17. We’d get 1000 fans per game, and whining/howling that would be heard province-wide.
Anyway, congrats on a great run, a management team with a vision and the guts to commit to it.

The transition years you mentioned were not part of the plan. Most all agree they should've traded Fabbri (though fortunate they got a couple picks for nothing from Kitchener later), Dickinson, Bertuzzi. And then there was the Merkley problem.

Would definitely rather have the traditional 4 year competitive cycle with in between first round playoff appearances and cups than never "go for it" even if it means a lean year or two. Drafting is hugely important and I think this year the team shifted to character focus.

Edit to add, most avid fans will be fine through a rebuild year if there is belief in the management and direction - part of junior hockey is learning about the new players and watching them grow and develop.

Last edited:

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
What a season and apologies for the stupid long post.

This was always supposed to be a "go for it" year for Guelph but it's been a long time since we've seen a team come out with an OHL title with a year like this team had and I'm only talking about the regular season. Late October through November was a pretty rough ride for this team. Younger guys wanted out, the Merkley situation it just seemed like the team had an identity crisis and would be tough for them to really come together without a bunch of moves. The Merkley trade really was the start of it all. The trade deadline was insanity what George pulled off. On that day right after WJC when he brought in Entwistle, Philips and Gordeev I figured that was the big splash and figured at most another depth guy would be brought in. Then the trade that really put this team over the top in the end with Owen Sound to bring in those guys. Unfortunately all the deals came as the team was getting slammed with injuries and while we saw glimpses of what the team could do there was still that inconsistency that made many including myself have doubts.

The playoffs started and the team flicked a switch. I remember being impressed during the Kitchener series at how much ease they won. On paper and in hindsight maybe they should have always swept the Rangers but going into that series it didnt feel like it. Even guys who weren't putting up numbers stepped up their games.

Yeah the boys threw out a couple duds to start the London series but cue the comebacks. The London comeback alone was awesome and would have made this one of the more popular Storm teams ever but the comebacks kept coming. The Saginaw series was a nail biter and they were the team going into the playoffs that scared me more than London but once the boys started rolling in game 5 they clearly became the better team. Ottawa scared me more than all the rest but I knew that the 7-2 game 1 wasn't as bad as that score made it look and Guelph was the better team for most of game 2. Again in hindsight maybe Guelph winning maybe wasnt that shocking but I had my doubts before the series and certainly after game 2. What a run the boys put together and that 2nd period of Game 6 was magic.

Going into the Memorial Cup I figured the Huskies and Raiders would both be incredibly hard to beat as would the Mooseheads. After that first game against the Huskies I had all the faith in the world this would maybe finally be the year. A bit of a lacklustre game against Halifax cost them the bye but they bounced back against Prince Albert. In the end they couldn't beat that Huskies team again but you know what? They were damn close despite what I thought was the top lines worst game in a long time (despite two goals by Ratty). In the end the Huskies won and honestly while it hurt i dont think it stung as bad as 2014 when Guelph to me was clearly the best team in London. This year Guelph was just as good I think as the others and had a great shot at winning but it's not like they dominated like 2014 and in the end I think the best team won so it makes it a tad easier to swallow. Congrats to the Huskies.

Some thoughts on the guys who won't be returning this fall by number....

5 Samorukov: honestly my favourite player this year and quite possibly one of the better defenceman this team has ever seen. Sammy did it all, defend, hit, block, score he is the total package. You will all have to fight me for his game worn jersey. For the love of God Storm get his name up there on the international WJC banner.

6 Durzi: really helped you forget about that other number 6 didnt he? Maybe not quite as good of a skater but again like Sammy could play in many situations just maybe not the size. Cant think of too many guys in Guelph recently that made as much of an impact as an OA.

9 Suzuki: One of the most skilled players I've ever seen. We all knew he was good in OS but to watch him every night was special. Hands down the MVP of the playoffs.

10 Entwistle: Honestly it took me a while to fully realize how underrated Entwistle was defensively and it was his responsible play in his own end that could let Ratty and Suzuki run a bit more wild offensively. Plus he had the skill to chip in himself too.

13 Toropchenko: Last year he got better the later the season got. Same thing this year a tad of an underwhelming regular season but wow what a playoff especially in the final vs Ottawa. Not to mention a huge game 7 goal in Saginaw and who will ever forget the hatty in under 8 mins vs the Huskies.

15 Hawel: there is a slight chance he returns but I'm not fully convinced of that. He took a big step forward this year with the 37 goals and I honestly didnt expect that from him. Will say I was a tad disappointed with his production in the playoffs but he certainly played his role and hey got a game winner in Halifax.

16 Schnarr: One of my favs since he showed up for a handful of games during the 13 win season. Perhaps the most unlikely 100 point scorers we've ever seen but the guy just kept racking up assists like crazy. Like Hawel he didnt have the best playoff but had a nice small streak of goals vs Ottawa. Will miss seeing him out there.

19 Ratcliffe: Frustrating at times but way more often he was making us cheer. Only the 4th 50 goal player in Storm history thanks to a fantastic late run and wow did he have some clutch playoff goals especially in London for Game 7. His final game as a Storm despite not playing a great game he still put up 2 goals and game the team a chance to win. His junior career really came full circle after having his rookie season during the 13 win year.

22 Hanley: I'm going to be honest here many people didnt like this trade in August due to the picks given up but I did like it. Was a solid defenceman but again not gonna lie he gave me a few fits in the playoffs while playing with Lalonde and having problems getting the puck out of his own zone. That being said a two time champion and more often than not a responsible solid defenceman which honestly made the back end much deeper.

25 Philips: Like Hanley not a flashy guy and defensively responsible. An underrated pickup at the deadline but again one that was needed badly. Hopefully he enjoys the official Guelph Storm alumni team I mean the Los Angeles Kings.

27 Commisso: When he got here I was expecting good things as he was a point per game guy in Oshawa last year. Most of the season not gonna lie I wasnt impressed. Great on faceoffs but I didn't feel like he was doing much else. Gotta admit I ate crow on that one. During the final month of the regular season he stepped up big time. While his production in the playoffs wasnt always there you could see he had found another gear and he did chip in offensively.

29 Gordeev: Again like Hawel he could be back next year and probably is the most likely to come back, however theres a chance he wont so I wanna write this in case. Like Hanley there were times Gordeev made me cringe in his own zone but on the flip side he could sometimes change a game with a crushing hit and chipped in with goals sometimes more often than I'd expect. Would be a nice boost should he be back in September.

32 Popovich: No he isnt graduating but I feel A: at some point he could get dealt this summer to give Daws the net for the rebuild and B: he deserves this anyway.
All year everybody (including myself) said this team couldn't win with Poppy in net and yeah even during the playoffs he had a couple ugly nights but as the playoffs got deeper he got better. His stats might not reflect it but I thought he was great during most of the playoffs and the Memorial Cup. The change ts of Poppy-Poppy are for all those naysayers (again myself included) and I hope he gets another shot with a contender next year.

Like I said off the top what a season. I'll never forget this run and honestly this OHL title as a fan means more to me than 2014. Yes 2014 was my first as a fan and will always be special but this time I was here for the full cycle, watched this team hit rock bottom and come right back to the top. Not to mention I highly doubt we ever see a playoff champion again come back from so many games down this many times, or at least not for a very long time.

Have a great summer everybody.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
IMO..GB shoulda pulled the problem plug earlier last year. ..may have kept Primeau and Bert on board..and maybe we could still have worked some of trades.. like the Owen sound trade..with picks etc..We are small going forward.. overall.... Still;... a remarkable run Storm.. unforgettable.... see y'all at scrimmages in late August..

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Storm associate coach and basically George's right hand man Jake Grimes has left the Storm to take the head coaching job with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles.
Well deserved hes been an assistant/associate coach now for nearly two decades.

Reactions: hocknow

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Storm associate coach and basically George's right hand man Jake Grimes has left the Storm to take the head coaching job with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles.
Well deserved hes been an assistant/associate coach now for nearly two decades.
thinking some new direction might be in order..even further up the chain.this appears the beginning of a new chapter in Storm history.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Would be smart to get at least one perhaps two defenceman in the import draft as the back end is a tad thin with the only returning regular is Lalonde. Chayka is back too but now we will really see what hes about as he spent the past few months riding the bench.
Terry goes from being a healthy scratch to being about 3rd on the depth chart suddenly. Profaca I'd imagine will be a regular as well.

As far as up front is concerned (barring trades)

Gogolev - Hillis - Stevenson
Roberts - Ralph - Collins
Maillet - Zhilkin - McFarlane
Walker - Import? - ????

Outside chance Hawel is back at which point you can throw him in there but I'm still willing to bet some team takes a chance on him. If not Guelph's gain.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Since I made the above post this morning the Storm have signed Marko Sikic. This years 3rd round pick who had 49pts in 33 games with the Jr Rangers this past season. He is a centre.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Would be smart to get at least one perhaps two defenceman in the import draft as the back end is a tad thin with the only returning regular is Lalonde. Chayka is back too but now we will really see what hes about as he spent the past few months riding the bench.
Terry goes from being a healthy scratch to being about 3rd on the depth chart suddenly. Profaca I'd imagine will be a regular as well.

As far as up front is concerned (barring trades)

Gogolev - Hillis - Stevenson
Roberts - Ralph - Collins
Maillet - Zhilkin - McFarlane
Walker - Import? - ????

Outside chance Hawel is back at which point you can throw him in there but I'm still willing to bet some team takes a chance on him. If not Guelph's gain.
I see Chayka at least a future assistant capt...

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Here's my crack at it...

Gogolev/Hillis/Stevenson
Roberts/Ralph/Import
Roach/Zhilkin/Collins
Maillet/Sikic/McFarlane
Papais

Chayka/Lalonde
Terry/Import
Trade/Profaca

If Hawel is back, highly doubtful, it's a bonus and he's traded at the deadline.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I forgot about Roach and Papais woops
Also theres always that chance somebody cracks the roster that wasnt expected. Like Kirwin in his rookie season.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
A post script.
The Attack held their annual team bbq and awards last Sunday.
To our delight, Nick, Marcus, Sean and Kevin Hancock were all present.
Zack Roberts was unable to attend due to a previous function .

It gave us Attack fans a final chance to say goodbye to some very talented players and classy young men .

Durzi and Hancock were both acknowledged as graduating players as was Zack Poirier, who was a valuable veteran member of the Attack, and Trenton Bourque.

A great day all around .

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
A post script.
The Attack held their annual team bbq and awards last Sunday.
To our delight, Nick, Marcus, Sean and Kevin Hancock were all present.
Zack Roberts was unable to attend due to a previous function .

It gave us Attack fans a final chance to say goodbye to some very talented players and classy young men .

Durzi and Hancock were both acknowledged as graduating players as was Zack Poirier, who was a valuable veteran member of the Attack, and Trenton Bourque.

A great day all around .

I think that is awesome - pure class, all those boys!

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Heard Mr. Rusty Hammond calls it a career for the Storm.

After multiple years in Guelph and a number of league championships Mr. Hammond thanked the Storm and the players for his experiences over the past 25 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad