Guelph Storm 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
If management plays their cards right it will be with another OHL club come trade deadline - hopefully with a good return (prospect plus picks) coming back.

In a perfect world they hold him till season starts and get a sense of direction then flip him. I will put a twenty on it saying he will be playing Friday night

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
In a perfect world they hold him till season starts and get a sense of direction then flip him. I will put a twenty on it saying he will be playing Friday night

A sense of what direction? Guelph is rebuilding. He is an asset that can bring a return. The only question is when he will bring the most value.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
OK...season starts in 5 days. Let's have some fun!

Over/Under - Team Wins - (19.5) OVER (27)

Over/Under - Highest Scorer (68.5 pts) OVER

Over/Under - Players to Score 20+ goals (2.5) OVER (Ralph, Gogolev, Hawal, Stevenson)

Highest Scorer (Pts): Ralph (83)

Biggest Surprise (positive): Bennett

Biggest Surprise (negative): nothing will be surprise negatively

Team Points (Final):
63 points

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
OK...season starts in 5 days. Let's have some fun!

Over/Under - Team Wins - (19.5) Over

Over/Under - Highest Scorer (68.5 pts) Over

Over/Under - Players to Score 20+ goals (2.5) Under

Highest Scorer (Pts): Cam Hillis (81 pts)

Biggest Surprise (positive): Gogolev

Biggest Surprise (negative): Goaltending

Team Points (Final): 49 pts

I like your guesses, I'll change the biggest surprise to Bakanov. I expect Gogolev to have a good year so wouldn't be surprised.
Ditto for goaltending being a growing pain. I'll predict that at the end of the year Guelph has added a young prospect and recouped at least a 2nd and a 3rd over the next two drafts - championship goal set for 2021/2022.

Reactions: storm surge

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
A sense of what direction? Guelph is rebuilding. He is an asset that can bring a return. The only question is when he will bring the most value.

As I said earlier I will place money on it that he will be in lineup Friday, team will want to evaluate Guelph will trade when the time is right.

Don’t forget many armchair gm said to blow it up last season....how did that turn out again? Most second guessed gm in the league is George.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I like your guesses, I'll change the biggest surprise to Bakanov. I expect Gogolev to have a good year so wouldn't be surprised.
Ditto for goaltending being a growing pain. I'll predict that at the end of the year Guelph has added a young prospect and recouped at least a 2nd and a 3rd over the next two drafts - championship goal set for 2021/2022.

I'm thinking 22/23, but I do agree that they should be able to recoup some of the traded draft picks and perhaps a player or two.

Problem is they don't have a tonne of picks in the near future, nor enough young impact players to put it together for 21/22. That's just IMO.

We had what, 3 down years after the last run? Well, one slide then two bad ones. Similar position now, I think. Hopefully they find the bottom a year sooner and the turnaround happens a little more quickly.

As for trades...I'm not sure now is the time. Rosters are still shaking out - some of the contenders don't know who will be back, and I think it'll take some time to find the right suitors for our few players....Hillis especially. He needs to prove he can be consistently impactful in order for the Storm to get a good return.

Reactions: storm surge

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I'm thinking 22/23, but I do agree that they should be able to recoup some of the traded draft picks and perhaps a player or two.

Problem is they don't have a tonne of picks in the near future, nor enough young impact players to put it together for 21/22. That's just IMO.

We had what, 3 down years after the last run? Well, one slide then two bad ones. Similar position now, I think. Hopefully they find the bottom a year sooner and the turnaround happens a little more quickly.

As for trades...I'm not sure now is the time. Rosters are still shaking out - some of the contenders don't know who will be back, and I think it'll take some time to find the right suitors for our few players....Hillis especially. He needs to prove he can be consistently impactful in order for the Storm to get a good return.

Agreed. I think that this turnaround will be quicker as I am guessing Hillis/Hawel could be coveted at the deadline. Of course 21/22 vs. 22/23 depends a lot on the development of Zhilkin and the rest of the 2019 draft class. They will get their minutes though if they work hard. I'm aiming for Chayka's 19th year though. Hillis/Hawel could bring in a 1st round forward if the fish are biting.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Agreed. I think that this turnaround will be quicker as I am guessing Hillis/Hawel could be coveted at the deadline. Of course 21/22 vs. 22/23 depends a lot on the development of Zhilkin and the rest of the 2019 draft class. They will get their minutes though if they work hard. I'm aiming for Chayka's 19th year though. Hillis/Hawel could bring in a 1st round forward if the fish are biting.

It'll be important for Hawel and Hillis to get off to good starts and stay healthy. If it were up to me, I'd play them together for the first half of the season and play the crap out of them....pump up those stats. Then, after they are moved (hopefully) the extra minutes can be distributed out to the younger players who deserved it in the first half.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
So the current roster sits at:

14 Forwards
8 Defencemen
2 Goalies

It seems like a lot of healthy scratches to start the year. Do they release or trade a defenceman sooner rather than later now that Gordeev is back?

Opening night lineup guesses?

Ralph/Hillis/Stevenson
Gogolev/Roach/Uba (I don't know much about Uba but he's a right shot.)
Bakanov/Collins/McFarlane
Zhilkin/Maillet/Rotate in Sikic-Papais-Walker

It would be nice to develop chemistry between Zhilkin and Maillet if one is weaker at faceoffs/would make sense to move to the wing. The two become your core for next run with Chayka as the vet leading the D.

Gordeev/Lalonde
Chayka/Campbell
Terry/Profaca
Hogue-Hiebert

Guelph has no 2001 born forwards on the roster... not a huge issue at this point but an interesting fact when looking at windows for the next Championship and gaps to fill in the future with trades.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017

14 Forwards
8 Defencemen
2 Goalies

It seems like a lot of healthy scratches to start the year. Do they release or trade a defenceman sooner rather than later now that Gordeev is back?

Ralph/Hillis/Stevenson

It would be nice to develop chemistry between Zhilkin and Maillet if one is weaker at faceoffs/would make sense to move to the wing. The two become your core for next run with Chayka as the vet leading the D.

Gordeev/Lalonde
Chayka/Campbell
Terry/Profaca
Hogue-Hiebert

Guelph has no 2001 born forwards on the roster... not a huge issue at this point but an interesting fact when looking at windows for the next Championship and gaps to fill in the future with trades.
GOGO..Bakanov Zhilkin.... Power play..

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016

14 Forwards
8 Defencemen
2 Goalies

Ralph/Hillis/Stevenson

Gordeev/Lalonde
Chayka/Campbell
Terry/Profaca
Hogue-Hiebert

Might see this:

Ralph Hillis Backanov
Stevenson Roach Gogolov
McFarlane Collins Uba

Not sure of D pairing yet.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Might see this:

Ralph Hillis Backanov
Stevenson Roach Gogolov
McFarlane Collins Uba

Not sure of D pairing yet.

I'd be happy with that - I think Bakanov is going to be a good one. Nice balance there. I haven't seen enough pre-season games to get a sense of where folks are at. Looking forward to Friday.

Reactions: hocknow

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
I will take a stab at the opening night roster.

Gogolev / Hillis / Stevenson
Collins / Ralph / Uba
Bakanov / Roach / McFarlene
Mailett / Zhilkin / Papais

Walker
Sikic

Lalonde / Chayka
Gordeev / Profaca
Terry / Hiebert

Hogue
Campbell

Daws

Bennett

There will be some growing pains and once we get through the trade deadline I am sure a few of these players will be moved out. It would be nice to add 1 or 2 younger players to this group at the deadline.

Reactions: LDN

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
We know Hillis is captain but no announcement has been made yet as to who will be wearing the A's this season.
Didnt see any during the pre season.

Gotta imagine Ralph will have one. Beyond that maybe Lalonde, Stevenson, Uba or Gordeev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->