Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I liked James but felt he was never the same after his broken jaw in 2016 - found him to be a bit gun shy after that, but that was a nasty injury and who could blame him. I expected more from him in his last campaign points-wise, especially after his Mtl camp stint (I thought he would come back and light it up because he’d had an excellent camp), but he just didn’t get there. Great speed and a wicked shot. His stints on defense were great and I often thought they should have kept him back on D and move Merkley up to forward for a number of games as an experiment (cue Storm Surge comments here....). By all accounts he’s a great kid and has talent and drive -he’s got a good head on his shoulders based on interviews I’ve read or seen. Maybe with the move to UNB you’ll see a breakout from him. Always liked the kid as a player and hope the best for him moving forward.
success ...happiness to to as you move on James

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
North American Central Scouting has Hillis at 62 and Merkley at 63. There is a low probability of picks in the late first and second rounds becoming impact players in the NHL. Someone is taking a flyer on Merkley before the third round.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
North American Central Scouting has Hillis at 62 and Merkley at 63. There is a low probability of picks in the late first and second rounds becoming impact players in the NHL. Someone is taking a flyer on Merkley before the third round.
Hoping for better for Hillis... #6 has been poorly handled and managed for months..from the TOP..

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
It would be interesting to know if there is a common denominator to that many players and a player agency commenting in a similar vein. If so, get rid of the common denominator, be it a player or staff, or an owner.
Seems like it should be a pretty easy process to find out what the issues are, if this rumour has any weight to it at all.
common denominator..... ahhhhhh.... is it 6?..

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
common denominator..... ahhhhhh.... is it 6?..

I think if you reread that post you dredged up, you’ll find I didn’t indicate anyone in particular as a common denominator, but did point out that if there was, it should be easy to deal with. Based on what I’ve read, your candidate is well liked by teammates. Your obsession with counterpointing that report is well, um, interesting....

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I think if you reread that post you dredged up, you’ll find I didn’t indicate anyone in particular as a common denominator, but did point out that if there was, it should be easy to deal with. Based on what I’ve read, your candidate is well liked by teammates. Your obsession with counterpointing that report is well, um, interesting....
gee that's strange ... I get the exact opposite impression ....

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
fools rush in....most teams took a pass.... was ranked at 45..still ...higher than he deserved... congrats eh?..

As a Knights fan I got on his case a few time for some obvious divings, but I must give credit where credit is due, talent wise he's among the very best in this league. This first round pick selection experience will or should smart him up, look for a changed Merkley this season as I am sure he will show more maturity in his personality and bring better leadership to an already good Guelph team

Last edited:

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
The encouraging part, after listening to a number of interviews with Merkley, is that he has acknowledged his faults and knows “he has to grow up” - that takes maturity for a kid to admit that in several public interviews. He also publicly stated that he is getting help from a psychologist for his temper and attitude issues that he admits to - which also takes courage and maturity. Looking forward to seeing a very different Ryan Merkley lighting it up this coming season!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
So, I was away this weekend.....did I miss anything?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad