Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Any more news from our enlightened folks on other departures? It’s been crickets on here for a week.....

Looking forward to enlightenment.
patience grasshopper.. ..sometimes temporary patches are applied..but rest assured.. nothing meaningful has really changed expect more of the same as last year..perhaps we shall be delightfully surprised..let us hope so eh ?..

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
patience grasshopper.. ..sometimes temporary patches are applied..but rest assured.. nothing meaningful has really changed expect more of the same as last year..perhaps we shall be delightfully surprised..let us hope so eh ?..

Meh... you’re no Caine. Nor do I think you’re as enlightened as you think you are. You’re entitled to your opinion though....so keep on with cryptic, if not negative, rhetoric...

I think the latest addition is to bring stay at home stability to the blue line and bring in overall leadership to the team. I am looking forward to the start of the season and what this team will look like 10-15 games in.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
golly gee slick an fer life .. lets just say I see things differently..

you made clams there would be '7/8 departures', thus far there hasnt really been anyone. if you dont like that people are calling you out about your bad prognostication, thats on you, your the one who made it.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
you made clams there would be '7/8 departures', thus far there hasnt really been anyone. if you dont like that people are calling you out about your bad prognostication, thats on you, your the one who made it.
I believe something was going on from the things I was hearing... if it got smoothed over ... whatever.. I have my point of view ...not alone either.. you have yours..I'm just hoping for anything better than last year... so far..I'm not impressed ..if you can't handle that ... too bad... we have a few fine draft picks.. hope they aren't wasted under this admin..

storm gust

Nov 5, 2017
I believe something was going on from the things I was hearing... if it got smoothed over ... whatever.. I have my point of view ...not alone either.. you have yours..I'm just hoping for anything better than last year... so far..I'm not impressed ..if you can't handle that ... too bad... we have a few fine draft picks.. hope they aren't wasted under this admin..

Time for you to suck it up and admit you were wrong. Your point of view is not an issue. Many fans may feel a few changes are/were needed, but none of us was so adamant and so sure of ourselves like you have been, based on your knowledge(?) of what is going on, that all these departures were guaranteed. You admonished anyone who questioned your apparent superior knowledge of all things Storm.

We all want better. We feel this team can achieve more. But we also want you to step up and admit you were wrong. All of the departures you told us would happen, not based on your opinion, but based on knowledge you have of what WOULD happen, did not.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
This team is going to score a lot of goals. Will be returning basically the entire power play from last year that was good.

Issue will be can they keep the puck out of their net?

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
This team is going to score a lot of goals. Will be returning basically the entire power play from last year that was good.

Issue will be can they keep the puck out of their net?
will it be +10...-20... .....only the enigma knows!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Time for you to suck it up and admit you were wrong. Your point of view is not an issue. Many fans may feel a few changes are/were needed, but none of us was so adamant and so sure of ourselves like you have been, based on your knowledge(?) of what is going on, that all these departures were guaranteed. You admonished anyone who questioned your apparent superior knowledge of all things Storm.

We all want better. We feel this team can achieve more. But we also want you to step up and admit you were wrong. All of the departures you told us would happen, not based on your opinion, but based on knowledge you have of what WOULD happen, did not.
speak for yourself.. my opinions and observations are my own,..my assessment ... was not entirely out of my imagination..nor am I alone in it..I guaranteed nothing..I believe a few butts were tightened up in the high places..(good).... whatever they managed to quell.. is done .. ..thats my opinion..prove me wrong .. make the playoffs ... I'm not holding my breathe ..some really fine young players here ... a couple can ruin the barrel..especially with tunnel vision in mgmt... we 'll see..

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Any guesses as to defensive pairings? Do you put Hanley with Merkley as a 4 forward/1 defence line? Or pair Haney with the rookies (Chayka and Terry) to teach/cover for them? Here is how I would start the year

Merkley/ Samorukov (see if Merkley learned how to play defence at his first NHL camp)
Lalonde/Woolley or Aguanno (I like Woolley better)
Haney/rookie
This assumes one of Chayka/Terry is in the lineup every night, which I think is the right thing for player development.
Thoughts?

Reactions: storm surge

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
2018-19 roster
My guess for opening night lineup

Forwards
98 Poirier
99 Ralph, Hawel, Schnarr, Toropchenko, Ratcliffe
00 Hillis, Kirwin, Stevenson
01 Bertuzzi, Primeau
02 Ty Collins
Possibles Golovatchev, Dylan and Ty Jackson
Defence
98 add OA
99 Samorukov
00 Merkley, Lalonde
01 Wooley,
02 Chayka, Terry

Goal
Popowich
Daws

I think team starts with 2 OAs and wait to see how season progresses- if we are competitive then add another OA based on need.
Why the doom and gloom from some Guelph posters? That preliminary roster speaks to a solid nucleus from which to build. Top 6 should provide sufficient offence.
I really like Ralph--I think he's one of the most underrated players in the league--terrific skater, penalty killer, who can also find the back of the net. So 3rd line should be fine too.
I agree that some defensive help is needed but it shouldn't be difficult to fix that via trades. Popovich will give you solid goaltending. The Storm should be a force in the West.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Nelli27

I'm puzzled- you cite my post regarding potential opening lineup, which listed all players coming back, an additional QA Dman (which has happened- Haney) and then talk about doom and gloom???? Where did I suggest that? Other than a potential later trade for an OA to fill whatever need emerges.
For the record, I think the Storm will finish top 4 in the West- if the stars align and players keep improving, and defence solidifies potential top 2 team.

Reactions: nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Nelli27

I'm puzzled- you cite my post regarding potential opening lineup, which listed all players coming back, an additional QA Dman (which has happened- Haney) and then talk about doom and gloom???? Where did I suggest that? Other than a potential later trade for an OA to fill whatever need emerges.
For the record, I think the Storm will finish top 4 in the West- if the stars align and players keep improving, and defence solidifies potential top 2 team.
I replied to your post specifically because it listed Guelph's players and not because you expressed doom and gloom. When I wrote "some" Guelph fans I wasn't referring to you--I should have been clearer. I agree that the Storm are a top 4 team in the West.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Almost every person I have spoken to who is involved with or around the OHL, expect Guelph to be a top 4 teams as well. I don't understand the "doom and gloom" at all.

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
I don't think it is doom and gloom (OK, it is for some) as much as frustration for many. This team has the talent to be good, but did not show it last year. If everyone is movitated and dedicated, this team can challenge for top spot in the Midwest. But that was also the situation last year when they could not keep up to London and Owen Sound when each team was having less success than expected.

Have a Manager to manage, a Coach to coach, and a team that plays for each other and holds each other accountable... they could do well. None of these happened last year. Here is hoping for better in the upcoming season.

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
I replied to your post specifically because it listed Guelph's players and not because you expressed doom and gloom. When I wrote "some" Guelph fans I wasn't referring to you--I should have been clearer. I agree that the Storm are a top 4 team in the West.
Defensive woes likely to hurt this team again unless they can get their back end in order.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Why the doom and gloom from some Guelph posters? That preliminary roster speaks to a solid nucleus from which to build. Top 6 should provide sufficient offence.
I really like Ralph--I think he's one of the most underrated players in the league--terrific skater, penalty killer, who can also find the back of the net. So 3rd line should be fine too.
I agree that some defensive help is needed but it shouldn't be difficult to fix that via trades. Popovich will give you solid goaltending. The Storm should be a force in the West.

I know I've cut waaaaaay back on the posting in here because some people in this thread do nothing but complain complain complain about the team.
Now I contribute some of the negativity to the fact that the Storm were awful for two seasons and while they were decent last season they had a pretty awful finish to the regular season (won only 3 of the final 16 games, which included winning 2 of the last 3) and the fact that several players seemed to be giving less than stellar efforts.

I personally am trying to be optimistic about this squad. On paper they should be a top 4 team in the west but obviously games aren't played on paper. As mentioned above this team was good enough last season to finish in the 4 or 5 seed but got terrible down the stretch and many people figure it could easily happen again. No doubt the defence and goaltending weren't great last year and the fact is the team has lost McFadden and Shoemaker and the only veteran added has been Hanley to the defence. Personally I love the Hanley deal, a stay at home D who apparently is a great leader in the room is exactly what this team needs, say what you will about how much was given up to get him yeah a 2nd round pick is a lot for an OA but this team desperately needed somebody back there. Not nearly as worried with the 3rd and 4th round picks as they are for later drafts and can easily be made up in future trades.

If this team gets off to a good start and they decided they want to be buyers this season then another veteran defenceman will be needed and with an open OA spot still to work with I think that can be an easy get. Also while the teams strength is goal scoring obviously if its a go for it year they will need to make a splash and get another top 6 forward and probably another solid depth guy.
The real question mark is in net with Poppy. He had his moments last season and at times I felt fine with him being the guy moving forward, other nights not so much. Again he will be a big factor on the direction this team goes. If the team is winning games and in a position to go for it but its clear an upgrade needs to be made then perhaps thats what they will do.

I agree about Cedric Ralph what a pleasant surprise he was last year. Who would have thought he would score the second most goals on the team last year with 24. He and Kirwin are great together despite their small sizes they work hard and don't play like they are under 6 feet. One player who I thought got much better toward the end of last season was Toropchenko, he started out pretty slow for a guy who was touted as a big goal scorer (went some near 30 games without a goal) but he had a great second half and especially final third of the season. He can be deadly paired up with Hillis and Ratcliffe this year. I really liked Primeau, his numbers don't look that great but I thought he was a solid 16 year old and I'm excited to see if he can break out and be a true secondary scorer for this team. I know many were down on Bertuzzi last year, it wasnt a good year no doubt but I am not closing the door on him yet, he had many injuries and could never seem to string together a good group of games. Lets see with a clean slate what he can do this year. Hawel and Schnarr are going to have to pick things up a bit this year, I don't expect them to be 40 goal guys or something but if they are really going to be part of the top 6 they gotta put up a few more points than they have.

I think bringing in Hanley fills the hole Shoemaker left, now the real question is what are things going to be like without McFadden on the ice.

Could everything go bad this year? It's possible sure (just ask Peterborough last year) but I am holding out hope that everything comes together.
I will perhaps post more if this thread becomes an enjoyable place to post again. I don't mind people thinking the team needs work but constructive criticism is needed more than just basic complaining and pointing the finger at Merkley for all of the teams problems. If I have to read another post about how he should be a forward and people thinking they know everything there is to know about how a team should be run you won't see much of me around these parts.

I usually just post my thoughts to twitter these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: hocknow

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I know I've cut waaaaaay back on the posting in here because some people in this thread do nothing but complain complain complain about the team.
Now I contribute some of the negativity to the fact that the Storm were awful for two seasons and while they were decent last season they had a pretty awful finish to the regular season (won only 3 of the final 16 games, which included winning 2 of the last 3) and the fact that several players seemed to be giving less than stellar efforts.
Could everything go bad this year? It's possible sure (just ask Peterborough last year) but I am holding out hope that everything comes together.
I will perhaps post more if this thread becomes an enjoyable place to post again. I don't mind people thinking the team needs work but constructive criticism is needed more than just basic complaining and pointing the finger at Merkley for all of the teams problems. If I have to read another post about how he should be a forward and people thinking they know everything there is to know about how a team should be run you won't see much of me around these parts.

I usually just post my thoughts to twitter these days.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. On the flip side, if more of the "good posters" such as yourself tried to contribute here, it might drown out some of the more tired, frustrating opinions that are seemingly keeping people away. Avoiding this place is really not helping the problem, nor is it helping those of us trying to squeeze in some thoughtful opinions here and there.

Personally, I think (hope) I'm being fair to this team. Do I overreact in the moment to some things? Sure, I think we all do at times. But I do try to be reasonable and to take others opinions into account, even if I may not agree. At least, I hope that 's what I am doing!

Long story short, having posters such as yourself here is better for the rest of us. I hope you keep that in mind as the season starts to ramp up, but I understand if the ship has sailed on being more regular here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad