Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Anyone with any thoughts on what George mighthave in mind regarding trades to make us better. An OA defenceman for one.

Reactions: storm surge

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Anyone with any thoughts on what George mighthave in mind regarding trades to make us better. An OA defenceman for one.

No idea as far as names go, but this team does need a few things. Luckily we have 2 open OA spots (I'm hoping for all three spots as Porier can be upgraded).

1. Experienced defenceman (as you mentioned). As you mentioned, I think this is an absolute must. Right now we would be relying on 1st and 2nd year guys to play major minutes.

2. Top 6 winger. There is a bunch of potential for guys that can grow into this role (Bertuzzi/Primeau etc.) but right now, I see only two wingers that would be top 6 quality on a contending team.

3. Defensive forward. Our penalty killing was league average during the regular season, and pretty bad in the playoffs against the Rangers. Someone you can slot on the 3rd line who is a good penalty killer would be nice.

4. Better back-up. This could be as simple as Daws taking a step forward during his second year, but last year was pretty bad. Having a backup that can be relied on to give even average goaltending while allowing Popovich a little more rest would be ideal.

5. Enough players. I probably don't understand enough of what goes on behind the scenes as far as bringing in players, but it was pretty sad to see this team consistently not be able to ice a full roster because of a few injuries.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
I can't disagree too much on what you have posted. I do think you are short changing a few guys by your comments in section 2, who are these two guys? Keeping Zach I feel is a good move, his grit and aggressive style is something this team will need. Also his leadership will be an asset. Any other thoughts out there.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I can't disagree too much on what you have posted. I do think you are short changing a few guys by your comments in section 2, who are these two guys? Keeping Zach I feel is a good move, his grit and aggressive style is something this team will need. Also his leadership will be an asset. Any other thoughts out there.

Not really. As it stands, the team is mayyyyybe slightly better than it was last year if you assume positive growth out of everyone.

Hopefully management will make a few moves before the start of the season to address some of the team's weaknesses, and to give us something to get excited about. As it stands, my feelings are pretty blah concerning this year. There's still plenty of time though, so we shall see!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Seems unlikely. George just got here....hasn't had enough time to ruin the team yet ;)

Ownership stinks though. They need to pony up and pay another individual to take over either as coach or GM.

These days, one person cannot devote the necessary time an energy needed to do both jobs effectively. There is no debate here, IMO.

I'm not sure that George can competently handle one of the two jobs let alone both, with where the league is at and where he is in his career.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I agree re: GM and coach being separate roles.

Regarding lineup I think 1 top 6 forward and a solid, mature stay-at-home D are musts. If those holes are filled I do think that this team could be top 4 in the West. An "all in" move would be to do the above and get DiPietro.

I'm a big fan of the Ralph/Kirwin 3rd line, Kirwin is good on the faceoff and Ralph is a firecracker who has been working hard this summer and getting some NHL interest.

Ratcliffe/Hillis/Toropchenko
?Primeau/Hawel/Schnarr - this is the line that could use an upgrade and solid growth
Ralph/Kirwin/Poirier (I'm pleased with their performance last season... Poirier provides grit for the undersized skilled forwards.
Bertuzzi (he needs to step it up this year)/Smith/Collins/Stevenson

Samorukov/Merkley
?/Lalonde
Chayka/Aguanno

... come on Guelph, trade all the picks and players for DiPietro and he'll backstop us to a cup. (c;

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

Ratcliffe and Toropchenko. Maybe you could include whichever of Hawel/Schnarr is playing 2nd line winger.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Any more news from our enlightened folks on other departures? It’s been crickets on here for a week.....

Looking forward to enlightenment.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
2018-19 roster
My guess for opening night lineup

Forwards
98 Poirier
99 Ralph, Hawel, Schnarr, Toropchenko, Ratcliffe
00 Hillis, Kirwin, Stevenson
01 Bertuzzi, Primeau
02 Ty Collins
Possibles Golovatchev, Dylan and Ty Jackson
Defence
98 add OA
99 Samorukov
00 Merkley, Lalonde
01 Wooley,
02 Chayka, Terry

Goal
Popowich
Daws

I think team starts with 2 OAs and wait to see how season progresses- if we are competitive then add another OA based on need.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Seems OK.

D not good enough, IMO. Especially w/o a standout goalie.

Needs more toughness/experience. Ideally like Shoemaker from last year, but good.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
2018-19 roster
My guess for opening night lineup

Forwards
98 Poirier
99 Ralph, Hawel, Schnarr, Toropchenko, Ratcliffe
00 Hillis, Kirwin, Stevenson
01 Bertuzzi, Primeau
02 Ty Collins
Possibles Golovatchev, Dylan and Ty Jackson
Defence
98 add OA
99 Samorukov
00 Merkley, Lalonde
01 Wooley,
02 Chayka, Terry

Goal
Popowich
Daws

I think team starts with 2 OAs and wait to see how season progresses- if we are competitive then add another OA based on need.

And if not competitive then I assume Ratcliffe, Hawel and Schnarr will likely be shopped?

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Storm have added an OA defenseman Jack Hanley from the Bulldogs. A stay at home defenseman just like McFadden.

Doesn't seem anywhere close to what McFadden brought on the offensive side though. Hanley has 44 points in 4 years, McFadden had that just last season.

Seems like an okay trade. Not good but also not bad.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Doesn't seem anywhere close to what McFadden brought on the offensive side though. Hanley has 44 points in 4 years, McFadden had that just last season.

Seems like an okay trade. Not good but also not bad.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Hamilton reached the cup final........Guelph .....ummmmm........ahhhh!............ the enigma will be on every 2nd shift....more if they can do it.......feel sorry for fine young drafted D's..

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....Hamilton reached the cup final........Guelph .....ummmmm........ahhhh!............ the enigma will be on every 2nd shift....more if they can do it.......feel sorry for fine young drafted D's..
prove me wrong Storm mgmt and ownership...prove me wrong ..see ya at 29 Aug...

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Throwing this out there to the Storm fans that as well as everyone who would be interested in listening to us this fall.

Myself along with my co-host have been working on a bi-weekly podcast for Owen Sound and the OHL fans alike.

Since podcasts have become more common media form we have taken it apon ourselves to bring a new face to the OHL community. We understand the strong connection between Guelph and Owen Sound as rivals is a fairly big one in the midwest division for the 2 clubs.

Since we've started just last season we have approached longtime play-by-play voice of the Guelph Storm radio to join us this season and with much agreement about our request we've lined up Larry Mellott from CJOY 1460 am to any fans who would be interested in listening to our show and especially our interview with Larry Mellott we can be found on Twitter @MMPuckTalk and Soundcloud at MMPuckTalk for your listening experience as we are in hopes of having new content on Owen Sound and the OHL this season.

Hopefully any fans who are interested please give us a follow and a listen for the interview with Larry this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->