Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
thinking Chayka will be a top ten pick in his NHL draft year..don't see anybody better for rookie of year yet...kids got it all for his age..team showing fire.. balance ..depth..experience.. team work..focus..nice to see young Bert smile and laugh..he and Commisso are great together...Storm big guys will be totally scary by playoff time ...Hawel..Primeau..Ratcliffe....Toropchenko .. good goal...

Chaya looks great indeed; but, Rossi has already locked up ROY, imo. HM to Byfield, Stranges, ... with Rossi a late birth, OHL will show exceptionally well in 2020 NHL draft

Last edited:

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I thought Popovich played well last night- made some big saves when game was still close. On a different note- I am very impressed with Woolley this year- second year player paired with a rookie and team leading +9. Plays a simple solid game.
yup!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I thought Popovich played well last night- made some big saves when game was still close. On a different note- I am very impressed with Woolley this year- second year player paired with a rookie and team leading +9. Plays a simple solid game.

I too like Woolley's development into this year. I'm interested to see how the roster plays out.

IMO I think Burnett should reunite the top line of Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Hawel.
Bertuzzi and Commisso have shown good chemistry so I like them with Toropchenko. Ralph and Kirwin habe chemistry and are always on a line with Poirier. That leaves Hillis (who has been quiet to start) with Primeau and Stevenson/Collins.

There has been so much variation it is hard to know who will be buyers and who will be sellers around the league.

Reactions: hocknow

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I too like Woolley's development into this year. I'm interested to see how the roster plays out.

IMO I think Burnett should reunite the top line of Ratcliffe/Schnarr/Hawel.
Bertuzzi and Commisso have shown good chemistry so I like them with Toropchenko. Ralph and Kirwin habe chemistry and are always on a line with Poirier. That leaves Hillis (who has been quiet to start) with Primeau and Stevenson/Collins.

There has been so much variation it is hard to know who will be buyers and who will be sellers around the league.

I agree. I think Hillis, Ralph and Kirwin are being held back with their linemates. Would love to see those three on a line together and complimenting each others speed.

I would keep the Primeau Stevenson Together and try and get something better coming in

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I agree. I think Hillis, Ralph and Kirwin are being held back with their linemates. Would love to see those three on a line together and complimenting each others speed.

I would keep the Primeau Stevenson Together and try and get something better coming in

I like the Ralph-Kirwin-Hillis thought....

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
An absolute stinker tonight in Kitchener!! Time to regroup for tomorrow's game. Hopefully the Storm show up as they certainly did not tonight

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
An absolute stinker tonight in Kitchener!! Time to regroup for tomorrow's game. Hopefully the Storm show up as they certainly did not tonight

I think (hope) this was that one game (of probably two per year) where they just stink the joint out and get embarrassed by it - seems to happen to every team even in their best years. Good wake up call and better in the first month and a half than later. Put this one in the books and forget about it but remember the sting of it - Move past it and come back with two wins to round out the weekend.

Reactions: hocknow

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Isaac Ratcliffe deserves to sit out a game. Such an undisciplined weekend. Not what you expect from a star 4th year player and a captain. Was a bone head last night in Kitchener and continued tonight in OS.
Ryan Merkley as well. Added nothing to the game in Kitchener. Very undisciplined in Kitchener. Same thing tonight in Guelph. Spent about 45 seconds just slashing away at OS players, not adding anything to the play or game.

Guelph fans wonder why media and others didn't pick them as a favorite in the west and this is why. Things don't go a certain way and a number of players just get pissy and lose their focus. For a team with the offence Guelph has, 6/6 points should have been the focus on the weekend and are now in jeopardy of losing all 3 against teams who are having goalie issues and the other is playing above their ceiling.

Really hope Guelph figures it out. I get to Guelph for 6-8 games a season. Enjoy my time there.

EDIT TO ADD: Somehow got the conference wrong lol

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Isaac Ratcliffe deserves to sit out a game. Such an undisciplined weekend. Not what you expect from a star 4th year player and a captain. Was a bone head last night in Kitchener and continued tonight in OS.
Ryan Merkley as well. Added nothing to the game in Kitchener. Very undisciplined in Kitchener. Same thing tonight in Guelph. Spent about 45 seconds just slashing away at OS players, not adding anything to the play or game.

Guelph fans wonder why media and others didn't pick them as a favorite in the east and this is why. Things don't go a certain way and a number of players just get pissy and lose their focus. For a team with the offence Guelph has, 6/6 points should have been the focus on the weekend and are now in jeopardy of losing all 3 against teams who are having goalie issues and the other is playing above their ceiling.

Really hope Guelph figures it out. I get to Guelph for 6-8 games a season. Enjoy my time there.

Personally I think no one picked them to win the East because they're in the West.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
But to your point Seb, I do think that Ratcliffe needs to keep in mind that he's the captain. Getting 10 mins for arguing a bad call is not acceptable, especially when leading this group where discipline and composure has been the issue. I'm hoping it's behind them... this afternoon will be intense again due to the rivalry - a good opportunity to up their game and bring cool heads.

Reactions: SebJHockey

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
What is frustrating about it all too is both Poppy and Daws I thought put in good performances these last two nights.
10 goals against and maybe 1 was iffy. They were hung out to dry on nearly every goal. Each goalie made some fantastic saves to keep the games somewhat close (at least on the scoreboard) till things really started to fall apart in the 3rd period each night.

I don't need to get into everything else that was going wrong, just figured I would point out the positive.

Anyway a good performance today can go a long way in forgetting these last two nights happened. If they lay another egg today then I would start to be concerned. Kitchener played yesterday as well so no 3 in 3 excuse today.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Relatively good game this afternoon by the Storm - not the best, but at least it salvaged 2 out of what should have been six points this weekend and hopefully kickstarted a better effort moving forward. Officiating was horrible both ways, but ended up with seven infractions both ways. With six games left in the Hwy 7 series, this should get rougher as the games unwind. Nice to see a bit of a rivalry back in play.

Of course, those with blue tinted spectacles will say otherwise.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Have been reading the Ranger boards (which are always entertaining) and they are going after Scnarr tonight because of his clean check on Meriales (probably misspelled). It was a clean hit gone wrong because he turned turtle trying to draw a penalty and it went sideways on him. They are acting so hard done by saying they are just a small team and Guelph is filled with giants and should go easy on them. So I guess Hillis, Ralph, Kirwan and a few others had a growth spurt I didn't see! I could go on and on but one last thing I will say is that they are conveniently forgetting the hit from behind on Stevenson and the high crosscheck on Merkley, both of which went uncalled by the refs. I guess they think their team is full of little Angel's and can do no wrong!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Schnarr had lots of time to avoid making contact once Meireles' back was turned to him but chose not to.

I don't blame Schnarr. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying, as they say.

I blame OHL officiating.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Schnarr had lots of time to avoid making contact once Meireles' back was turned to him but chose not to.

I don't blame Schnarr. If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying, as they say.

I blame OHL officiating.
Merieles saw the hit coming and purposely turned his back to it. Why should Schnarr not finish his check. Merieles put himself in the position to get injured. Put the blame where it belongs, on Meriales not on Schnarr. He wanted to draw a penalty plain and simple. Ref didn't bite.

Reactions: TrueBlueStorm

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Meireles probably turned his back to the checker a half dozen times in the London game. Good player to watch though. And that manoeuvre does draw a lot of penalties

Reactions: Cynical Canadian

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Merieles saw the hit coming and purposely turned his back to it. Why should Schnarr not finish his check. Merieles put himself in the position to get injured. Put the blame where it belongs, on Meriales not on Schnarr. He wanted to draw a penalty plain and simple. Ref didn't bite.
So what your saying if the player turns his back its his fault, well if it so happens to a Guelph player then you should be OK with it.

Reactions: bobber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad