Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
There is no way Entwistle would have been allowed to play if he was concussed. He was checked out by a doctor this morning and if he didn’t meet protocol, he wouldn’t have played. Period.

What is the protocol? Passing the baseline that players were encouraged to flub anyhow? He may have passed whatever minimum bar is set, but I and I'm sure others can tell you that he was not on his usual game. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was following the hit. He laid a weak hit on another player in the first period and immediately skated to the bench to change looking rattled, he fanned on the puck multiple times. He just looked off.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I know it's tough not to in the moment, but I hate when fans cheer after hits like that
I don't think they are cheering that Enwhistle was hurt just the solid hit he received. I guess that only happens in Saginaw. No other team fan base cheers after a good hit.
We had our #1 goal scorer out for 7 to 8 weeks because his jaw was broken from a head check and
that was a huge blow to the team.
Now more adversity in losing Prosvetov and Murray our two defensive stars would end most teams chances. Plenty of character on Saginaw and our top guys have to play over their heads. One victory would bring Murray back for game 7. Surprised they didn't give him 5 games to make sure he is not in a game 7 if necessary.
Prosvetov was a ticking time bomb, it was just a matter of time before he would cost his team and he proved most of us right. Guelph has plenty of talent and well coached. Take away Popovich and Durzi would Sting a little. Regardless, may the best team win and good luck.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I don't think they are cheering that Enwhistle was hurt just the solid hit he received. I guess that only happens in Saginaw. No other team fan base cheers after a good hit.
We had our #1 goal scorer out for 7 to 8 weeks because his jaw was broken from a head check and
Now more adversity in losing Prosvetov and Murray our two defensive stars would end most teams chances. Plenty of character on Saginaw and our top guys have to play over their heads. One victory would bring Murray back for game 7. Surprised they didn't give him 5 games to make sure he is not in a game 7 if necessary.
Prosvetov was a ticking time bomb, it was just a matter of time before he would cost his team and he proved most of us right. Guelph has plenty of talent and well coached. Take away Popovich and Durzi would Sting a little. Regardless, may the best team win and good luck.

You're right, Guelph hasn't seen any adversity this season with player out. :sarcasm:

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
No that's exactly what I mean. Like it's hard to tell of it's a dirty hit or not, but I just hate when a guy gets stung in the head with an elbow and everyone cheers

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
You're right, Guelph hasn't seen any adversity this season with player out. :sarcasm:
Sure they had injuries, looking healthy for the playoffs that is the question now. You have little problems compared to Saginaws. Our problems are self induced wich is harder to except than injuries. As I said good luck the best team will win.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
No that's exactly what I mean. Like it's hard to tell of it's a dirty hit or not, but I just hate when a guy gets stung in the head with an elbow and everyone cheers
I agree but this is not the first time it has ever happened. No fan should enjoy seeing a player hurt but it seems they are out there.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Sure they had injuries, looking healthy for the playoffs that is the question now. You have little problems compared to Saginaws. Our problems are self induced wich is harder to except than injuries. As I said good luck the best team will win.

Coming back from 3-0 isnt real adversity like having your goalie suspended

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
..whatever happened to "keep your head up"?

Rule changes in the OHL allow for players to skate around with their heads down. Instead of teaching young players to keep their heads up for self preservation, the opposite is the practice in our league today. Self-preservation and hockey should be job one.

I compare this to looking both ways before you cross the street. Sure, the pedestrian may have the right of way at an intersection. But only an idiot would stroll out into the intersection without first exercising self preservation by looking both ways.

I'm not picking sides here. Just pointing out facts. All teams in this league have seen themselves on both sides of this issue.

Reactions: The Howler

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Even Steve, I totally agree with you.I didn't attend the game but heard the call. My first thought as I replayed it, I said...don't tell me he's going to try to turn up and carry the puck without looking. I played in a different era and would have taken a quick look, get set up and just try to dump the puck along the wall.

Could have been a charge as well, at no point did he have his stick down in an attempt to play the puck. I still don't think the elbow was part of the original hit, more like his reaction as he bounced off the boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Sure it is. Do you think you would have beaten London without Popovich and Durzi 4 straight not a cold day in hell.

Or you could frame it - "would Popovich baseball swing a puck out of play, or would Durzi elbow a guy in the head? Both knowing it cpuld cost their team?" Guelph cleaned up our dressing room... if that's the difference maker so be it. You're setting up excuses after your team lost one.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Or you could frame it - "would Popovich baseball swing a puck out of play, or would Durzi elbow a guy in the head? Both knowing it cpuld cost their team?" Guelph cleaned up our dressing room... if that's the difference maker so be it. You're setting up excuses after your team lost one.

Nobody said that Durzi or Popovich would do what you just said. What he meant was that, for arguments sake, if they were out of the lineup.

Doesn't matter for what reason be it injury or suspension.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Nobody said that Durzi or Popovich would do what you just said. What he meant was that, for arguments sake, if they were out of the lineup.

Doesn't matter for what reason be it injury or suspension.

The reason does matter though - as discipline is a necessary element to success that is a controllable factor, it's not an act of God that handicaps your team.

Lennox is no slouch, work with what you've got as the Storm have had to all year. Bring on game 4.

The reason does matter though - as discipline is a necessary element to success that is a controllable factor, it's not an act of God that handicaps your team.
Which is why I would not classify what Saginaw is currently enduring as adversity. Self induced hardship, not adversity by definition

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Or you could frame it - "would Popovich baseball swing a puck out of play, or would Durzi elbow a guy in the head? Both knowing it could cost their team?" Guelph cleaned up our dressing room... if that's the difference maker so be it. You're setting up excuses after your team lost one.
No just stating a fact, no excuses from me, you beat us I have no problem with that. But don't tell me your team is not capable of a hit to the head. Even you know that is BS. Don't put words in my mouth either.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Yes any given team at any given time is capable, you got caught and will pay for. Just the same as if the shoe was on the other foot. As far as the selfish actions of your goaltender, that can't be blamed on anyone but him. He grandstanded selfishly and is now making his team mates pay, hopefully dearly.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No just stating a fact, no excuses from me, you beat us I have no problem with that. But don't tell me your team is not capable of a hit to the head. Even you know that is BS. Don't put words in my mouth either.

They have at least a couple guys that are capable of hits to the head. Rangers have had a couple guys fall victim to head shots from Schnarr and Toropchenko in the last year.

As I've said, every team out there has found themselves on both sides of this issue.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Sam has dished out some questionable hits. Ivan is just a kid that acts before he thinks. He speared Lochead in the nuts and got nothing but 2 minutes . It was bound to happen. I thought Lennox played fairly well last night.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Sam has dished out some questionable hits. Ivan is just a kid that acts before he thinks. He speared Lochead in the nuts and got nothing but 2 minutes . It was bound to happen. I thought Lennox played fairly well last night.
Prosvetov is a 1999 born player, he turned 20 on Mar 5th how does that make him just a kid? At that age he should know better.

Reactions: BehindSooNet

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
At the end of the day, it's all done, move on. Prosvetov got exactly what he deserved, and I glad of it, even being a spirit fan. He has played well and won some big games, but my hometown team and announcer has pumped him up after his antics, and he just kept doing, but now it has paid the final price.

The Murray suspension I question. It was a night hit with elbow but not intentional. He deserves something but 4 games is ridiculous especially when Entwistle is playing every other shift and special teams the next night. Branch and Burnett are long time buddies, don't tell me that didn't come into play.

Regardless, my Saginaw team is in tough against a talented Guelph squad. Let's hope for more good hockey and I hope that Lennox can take this series deep and prove that we are ok with him and don't need any goalie with antics.

Good luck to both.

Reactions: soo hound girl

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Prosvetov is a 1999 born player, he turned 20 on Mar 5th how does that make him just a kid? At that age he should know better.

Depending on the situation and the conversation, these OHLers have been called everything from kids to fine young men.

OHLers do something good, and they're "fine young men". But if they screw up or, for example, have to put up with any kind of negativity from the fans in the way of heckling etc., then they're "just kids".

I'm of the opinion that they come into this league as kids and grow up really fast - by year two if not earlier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->