Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Totally disagree with you on this... I appeal something if I feel that a bad call was made, not this. An OHL Championship would be forever tainted if he is allowed to play and the Spirit go on to win.

That's my opinion, and you have yours, and I'm OK with that.

Cool. But I'm of the opinion that if the rules say a buyout is possible, the team has to exercise the right to do so. You have to show your dressing room that you have their backs.

Allowing a player, especially a valuable player, to serve a five game suspension in the post season when you could have prevented it, sends a bad message to the rest of the room.

During the year teams suspend their own players for disciplinary reasons often. That's fine. All for the greater good. But this is a different ball of wax.

Not to mention it handicaps your team. It increases the possibility you lose the series and therefore, costs the team at the gate.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is an awful situation for all involved, however I would not be surprised if there is no way around the rule. It is a liability driven rule designed to protect patrons, and ultimately the CHL and it's owners. They have an obligation to protect fans and by way of extension, the themselves. Same reason there is netting at the ends of the rinks - that is not there to save the cost of the pucks! Liability issue, especially in US rinks.

I would be surprised if the possibility of this coming up in the postseason wasn't raised when the rule was implemented. It would've been decided that that time whether or not the suspension of this nature would've been able to be included under the buyback rules.

Perhaps they did just that and exempted this situation from the buyback rules for just the reason you are saying.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Flip puck into stands during play = 2 minutes for delay of game.
Flip puck into stands after whistle = 5 game suspension.
Fans are warned in venue and on ticket I think that pucks can leave the playing surface.
Makes no sense. Suspension buy-back should be an option.
Puck getting shot out of play during play is different then after the whistle goes. During play the fans are paying attention but when the whistle goes most fans that's when they take the opportunity to turn and talk to others and maybe aren't paying attention so thats when it becomes more dangerous

Reactions: LR8

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Swoopster, l have always respected your posts but what do you think management will do if they can buy him back? We all know that answer. As far as tainted maybe but if Ivan c
omes back and he can play it was a league decision and not Saginaws.
no it was a Saginaw decision to buy back the suspension not the league buying it back for them

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Of course, but the league has the final say and what team in this situation would not want their #1 goalie in net.
Ultimately its the team that has to pay the fine so its their decision not the league. Easy solution take the stupid buy back a suspension rule out and their is no confusion or arguing it cut and dry IMO

Reactions: Finster8

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Saginaw has Guelph right where they want'em.
One team may get over-cocky and not feel the desperation they should while the other team has "us against the world" attitude and band together to overcome this.
Saw Lennox play a few times and I tell you Guelph better not sleep on this kid.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Tony Saxon‏ @SaxonOnTheStorm 1m1 minute ago

Five games for Prosvetov. Four games for Murray.
Seems like we're getting closer to the pot of gold and then Murray getting 4. As far as the Prosvetov situation it is what it is. The Murray hit is a joke. This has to make the guys get hungry and play hard for Lennox. Lazary has not been mentioned much on here but he is one hell of a coach and we will need that to overcome a strong Guelph lineup.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
One team may get over-cocky and not feel the desperation they should while the other team has "us against the world" attitude and band together to overcome this.

As talented as he his, he's still a 16 yr old basically going in cold on the road in the western confernece finals. Got a lot of his starts against Flint, Sarnia, Windsor, etc. Team will have to play extra tight to help him out all they can.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I'll second your view on Lennox. Cannot sleep on this kid. I'll never forget the 1990 memorial cup final game. Oshawa vet goalie Kevin Butt was injured during the game.

In came youngster Freddie Braithwaite. He was better than Butt!! The rest is history.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Seems like we're getting closer to the pot of gold and then Murray getting 4. As far as the Prosvetov situation it is what it is. The Murray hit is a joke. This has to make the guys get hungry and play hard for Lennox. Lazary has not been mentioned much on here but he is one hell of a coach and we will need that to overcome a strong Guelph lineup.

Any video of the Murray hit? 100% Entwistle was playing concussed tonight - not the same player. It was an elbow to the head? How is that not suspendable?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Lennox stood on his head meaning Guelph will take him seriously and hopefully have their foot on the gas all series.

So proud of Ralph...

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Any video of the Murray hit? 100% Entwistle was playing concussed tonight - not the same player. It was an elbow to the head? How is that not suspendable?

If he was allowed to play concussed, as you suggest......shame on the organization, Storm staff and the league itself.

Im really leaning towards (or hoping at least) you being wrong in your statement....based on mandatory protocol set forth by HC/OHL ect...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Good write up. The greatest comeback in OHL history? Not in my opinion.

Guelph was the deeper more veteran team who was supposed to win the series.

In 2010, Windsor was the deeper more veteran team who was supposed to win the series.

Great feats to be sure, but IMO, neither can be classified as the greatest comeback in OHL history.

This has happened 5 times now. (Off the top of my head I can't remember two of the remaining three).

So IMO, the greatest comeback in OHL history has to be the 2005 Windsor Spitfires coming back to oust the Soo. Windsor was an inferior team and had no business winning the series let alone doing so after having been down 3-0.

Reactions: ohloutsider

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Lennox stood on his head meaning Guelph will take him seriously and hopefully have their foot on the gas all series.

So proud of Ralph...

They had their foot on the gas in the first period tonight. Not only were they all over Saginaw, they had the help of the multiple Spirit turnovers. Tape to tape passes and drop passes to the opposition in their own zone that would have made Ryan Murphy proud!!

If not for Lennox, this game is clearly out of reach after the first 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
If he was allowed to play concussed, as you suggest......shame on the organization, Storm staff and the league itself.

Im really leaning towards (or hoping at least) you being wrong in your statement....based on mandatory protocol set forth by HC/OHL ect...

There is no way Entwistle would have been allowed to play if he was concussed. He was checked out by a doctor this morning and if he didn’t meet protocol, he wouldn’t have played. Period.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If he was concussed he would not have passed the concussion protocol. Skating around concussed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad