Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
My thoughts on the series that just ended and the one to come......

We all figured the Storm would win this series but I dont think anybody outside that locker room expected it to be a sweep. Kitchener had been a thorn in the Storm's side for the last bit of the season but Guelph stepped up in a big way and made quick work of the Rangers and for the most part made it look easy.
The real shocking stat was Kitchener going 0 for 11 on the PP in the series. A: Guelph for the most part managed to stay out of the box. B: that top ranked PP ended up as a non factor. The Rangers really kinda did get a PP goal in game 4 as the Storm player was literally stepping out of the box when Hugg scored but in the record book it was even strength.

A couple standouts to me:
Toropchenko has found another gear. I found last season he wasnt that great but down the stretch was one of the better players and expected bigger things from him this year. This year came and while he had his moments again spent big stretches doing nothing. This is the best hockey he has played in Guelph. One of the standouts thus far and doing more than I expected.

Poppy was pretty darn good though the series. Was super happy for him to finally notch a shutout. He had a couple goals in the series that were iffy like the 2nd and 3rd goals in game 3 but while he wasnt super busy most nights I just found him to be rock solid most of the time.

Commisso and Ralph I thought were very effective in their roles as essentially the checking line. Those two were fire plugs all series. Ralph we expect that from but I gotta hand it to Commisso who to me has been much much better these past 6 weeks or so than he had been all season prior.

While a sweep wasnt expected it's very welcomed I'm sure for the boys to now get a week off and rest a bit. Not entirely sure if Hillis will be ready to go for game 1 but from what I've heard we should expect him sooner rather than later.

So how does Guelph stack up. Well yes they had a good regular season against London going 4-1-0-1 and won 2 of 3 in London but as we just saw with the Kitchener series you can forget the regular season now.

That being said I think Guelph has a good shot at this as long as they can at minimum split the opening two games in London. London is apparently going with Kooy in net now but if he falters they still have Raaymakers behind him. I dont think theres any doubt that Guelph has the deeper forward group and for once has an advantage on London for offense. Defense is much closer. London has a solid group but so do the Storm. There have been nights where the Storm group havent been at their best so we will see what happens when they go up against a deeper team this round.

I guess the question is where to slot Hillis once he is back. Personally I dont think you can touch the top two lines right now after the performances they gave in the opening round. Personally I think you made the third line Gogolev-Hillis-Stevenson. Gogolev has been getting better each game and finally got the goal monkey off his back in game 4. We know what Stevenson is capable of and putting Hillis in between them could produce some good results. That leaves you with a 4th line of Roberts-Commisso-Ralph that essentially becomes the energy line and one that can eat minutes. Not to mention very capable of throwing in a goal or two here and there.

London will be a much tougher test but one I think this team can handle if they are all at their best.
They're going to have to hope their recent run of luck at Budweiser Gardens continues.

Guelph in 6

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
My thoughts on the series that just ended and the one to come......

We all figured the Storm would win this series but I dont think anybody outside that locker room expected it to be a sweep. Kitchener had been a thorn in the Storm's side for the last bit of the season but Guelph stepped up in a big way and made quick work of the Rangers and for the most part made it look easy.
The real shocking stat was Kitchener going 0 for 11 on the PP in the series. A: Guelph for the most part managed to stay out of the box. B: that top ranked PP ended up as a non factor. The Rangers really kinda did get a PP goal in game 4 as the Storm player was literally stepping out of the box when Hugg scored but in the record book it was even strength.

A couple standouts to me:
Toropchenko has found another gear. I found last season he wasnt that great but down the stretch was one of the better players and expected bigger things from him this year. This year came and while he had his moments again spent big stretches doing nothing. This is the best hockey he has played in Guelph. One of the standouts thus far and doing more than I expected.

Poppy was pretty darn good though the series. Was super happy for him to finally notch a shutout. He had a couple goals in the series that were iffy like the 2nd and 3rd goals in game 3 but while he wasnt super busy most nights I just found him to be rock solid most of the time.

Commisso and Ralph I thought were very effective in their roles as essentially the checking line. Those two were fire plugs all series. Ralph we expect that from but I gotta hand it to Commisso who to me has been much much better these past 6 weeks or so than he had been all season prior.

While a sweep wasnt expected it's very welcomed I'm sure for the boys to now get a week off and rest a bit. Not entirely sure if Hillis will be ready to go for game 1 but from what I've heard we should expect him sooner rather than later.

So how does Guelph stack up. Well yes they had a good regular season against London going 4-1-0-1 and won 2 of 3 in London but as we just saw with the Kitchener series you can forget the regular season now.

That being said I think Guelph has a good shot at this as long as they can at minimum split the opening two games in London. London is apparently going with Kooy in net now but if he falters they still have Raaymakers behind him. I dont think theres any doubt that Guelph has the deeper forward group and for once has an advantage on London for offense. Defense is much closer. London has a solid group but so do the Storm. There have been nights where the Storm group havent been at their best so we will see what happens when they go up against a deeper team this round.

I guess the question is where to slot Hillis once he is back. Personally I dont think you can touch the top two lines right now after the performances they gave in the opening round. Personally I think you made the third line Gogolev-Hillis-Stevenson. Gogolev has been getting better each game and finally got the goal monkey off his back in game 4. We know what Stevenson is capable of and putting Hillis in between them could produce some good results. That leaves you with a 4th line of Roberts-Commisso-Ralph that essentially becomes the energy line and one that can eat minutes. Not to mention very capable of throwing in a goal or two here and there.

London will be a much tougher test but one I think this team can handle if they are all at their best.
They're going to have to hope their recent run of luck at Budweiser Gardens continues.

Guelph in 6
I'm with you with everything you said until the 3rd/4th lines. Hillis has played 3 games since Dec 15- he needs to be eased in on the 4th line. IF he stays healthy maybe he moves up but not right away.
Also no way Stevenson plays ahead of Ralph on the third line. As you said, Ralph/ Commisso were an effective checking line against Kitchener, and can contribute offensively as well. For me,
3rd line Ralph/Commisso/Gogolev
4th line Roberts/Hillis/Stevenson

But seriously, if we are debating 3rd and 4th lines????- I doubt this is keeping GMGB awake nights!

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I'm with you with everything you said until the 3rd/4th lines. Hillis has played 3 games since Dec 15- he needs to be eased in on the 4th line. IF he stays healthy maybe he moves up but not right away.
Also no way Stevenson plays ahead of Ralph on the third line. As you said, Ralph/ Commisso were an effective checking line against Kitchener, and can contribute offensively as well. For me,

But seriously, if we are debating 3rd and 4th lines????- I doubt this is keeping GMGB awake nights!
I agree with this however, if Hillis can prove himself early I prefer to see this. Ralph/Hillis/Gogolov as a third line depth scoring. These three contribute to eachother’s style of play.
4th line Stephenson/Commisso/Roberts as the checking line. Stephenson is much more suited to this type of line play.
Question will be whether Hillis can surpass Commisso’s play of late. Time will tell.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018

... I don't think anything keeps him up at night.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
This is it boys. This is what this team was made for.

Time to own up to the moment or shut-up.

First game is critical. Need the first two lines to continue with the possession and the bottom two to do all the little things right as per usual.

Let's get this going!

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
I agree with this however, if Hillis can prove himself early I prefer to see this. Ralph/Hillis/Gogolov as a third line depth scoring. These three contribute to eachother’s style of play.
4th line Stephenson/Commisso/Roberts as the checking line. Stephenson is much more suited to this type of line play.
Question will be whether Hillis can surpass Commisso’s play of late. Time will tell.
As I said "if he stays healthy maybe he moves up" That's the key- at that point I agree with your 3/4 lines. That's what we have been waiting for since Jan 10. I doubt there is a team in the OHL that can match that depth.

Reactions: hocknow

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
If the goalie keeps playing, Sleemans will be running long after the taps are turned off at Budweiser gardens.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Sleeman is better beer but Bud gets one more game in this series and hopefully at least four more after that!

Funny side note Im paying a visit to the Sleeman Centre for game 4 with my daughter who HATES and I mean really HATES Spike. I think he's hilarious and am hoping he still dances to Cotten Eyed Joe in the commercial break!

Hoping for an exciting series too...

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Sleeman is better beer but Bud gets one more game in this series and hopefully at least four more after that!

Funny side note Im paying a visit to the Sleeman Centre for game 4 with my daughter who HATES and I mean really HATES Spike. I think he's hilarious and am hoping he still dances to Cotten Eyed Joe in the commercial break!

Hoping for an exciting series too...
Yes he does still dance. And if she doesn't like Spyke how is she going to do with Stormy?

Reactions: sbpointer

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
From what I saw at practice it looks like line 3 is Stephenson Hillis Gogolov and line 4 is Ralph Commisso Roberts
How is Gogolevs ankle strength and endurance looking..power and quickness as well. if all 3 are at peak.. that should be a great line.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Just to go off topic from the playoffs, the OHL draft is coming up this weekend.

I have a thought about what Guelph should do. I think most agree that next year will be a difficult given that a lot of our players will graduate and it will be hard to just get into the playoffs next year. So I was thinking that maybe we should draft a player in the first round that we know probably won't report to us. Then during the coming season we trade him to another team for draft picks and maybe even a player. By not reporting, the Storm would receive a compensating pick in next years 1st round giving us two. This would speed up the rebuild by getting assets from the trade and having 2 picks the following year.

What's everyone's take on this strategy?

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Just to go off topic from the playoffs, the OHL draft is coming up this weekend.

I have a thought about what Guelph should do. I think most agree that next year will be a difficult given that a lot of our players will graduate and it will be hard to just get into the playoffs next year. So I was thinking that maybe we should draft a player in the first round that we know probably won't report to us. Then during the coming season we trade him to another team for draft picks and maybe even a player. By not reporting, the Storm would receive a compensating pick in next years 1st round giving us two. This would speed up the rebuild by getting assets from the trade and having 2 picks the following year.

What's everyone's take on this strategy?

We need bodies, that strategy won't help with that next year and is too risky IMO. You don't want to get a reputation as a team that players don't want to report to.

They need this year's 1st round, 2nd round and both import picks to suit up next year along with McFarlane, Papais, and Profaca in order to ice a full squad.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
We need bodies, that strategy won't help with that next year and is too risky IMO. You don't want to get a reputation as a team that players don't want to report to.

They need this year's 1st round, 2nd round and both import picks to suit up next year along with McFarlane, Papais, and Profaca in order to ice a full squad.
coach must PLAY his best picks .. no more sitting them on bench all year/

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Numbersguy, I believe a priority is a goaltender. Both Samorukov and Toropcheko will be gone so we have two Eruo picks, one should be a goalie, or at least a top 3-4 dmen and a scorer. If no goalie is taken then a later pick in the draft Saturday may be advisable. I don't think next year will be a total disaster, 6th - 8th place might be possible. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: storm surge

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Yes he does still dance. And if she doesn't like Spyke how is she going to do with Stormy?

Spyke is truly a terrifying mascot. My daughter is just now starting to be less weary of Stormy - he's giant which scares her a bit, but he's no dreadlocked tornado-face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad