Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins10

Mar 31, 2016
Don't mean to see the glass half empty here but the fact is for this team to progress in the playoffs Popovich has to have better rebound control and needs to ensure his focus doesn't periodically go walkabout. At various times he was sensational in game three but on occasion (goals 2 and 3) those inconsistencies creep into his game.

Reactions: three dog night

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Don't mean to see the glass half empty here but the fact is for this team to progress in the playoffs Popovich has to have better rebound control and needs to ensure his focus doesn't periodically go walkabout. At various times he was sensational in game three but on occasion (goals 2 and 3) those inconsistencies creep into his game.

Factually, for this to to progress in the playoffs they need to win one more game. He's won three of three so far. No reason to believe he (they) won't win one more in the next 4.

And this is coming from a Poppy critic.

EDIT: I should have added that in general, you're right though. For them to get as far as they aspire, it'll take a better, more consistent performance from Popovich.

Last edited:
Reactions: StormWatcher

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Schnarr is an absolute beast, a man among boys. He has my vote for Guelph MVP so far.

The imports are playing amazing too. Sammy is completely dominating and Toropchenko has been skating extremely hard and powerfully lately. Lalonde has been showing off some great offense and his confidence has to be sky high right now.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Schnarr is an absolute beast, a man among boys. He has my vote for Guelph MVP so far.

The imports are playing amazing too. Sammy is completely dominating and Toropchenko has been skating extremely hard and powerfully lately. Lalonde has been showing off some great offense and his confidence has to be sky high right now.
Gogolev won't be full potential for a while yet..must go easy on expectations...

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

IMO if you have a “chink” in your armour it may be in the net? Typically you need strong goaltending but he is capable but as noted tends to loose focus at times. However you are strong in front of him he just needs to give reasonable performances and Guelph will be tough for anyone to handle? IMO anyway....

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Hey Guelph fans, whats you predictions and thoughts for a Knights-Storm semifinal matchup??

I think it will be a battle but Guelph will win in 5 or 6. I think Guelph has the potential to dominate now that they're healthy, but will likely falter in a couple of games due to over-confidence and not respecting that London > Kitchener.

Edited to add: I don't think many folks recognize the depth that Guelph has as no opponent besides Kitchener has faced it.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I think it will be a battle but Guelph will win in 5 or 6. I think Guelph has the potential to dominate now that they're healthy, but will likely falter in a couple of games due to over-confidence and not respecting that London > Kitchener.

Edited to add: I don't think many folks recognize the depth that Guelph has as no opponent besides Kitchener has faced it.

Cool ya I can totally see that. I think both teams have a lot of depth, but I think Anthony Popovich > Jordan Kooy and that will be the difference honestly. And you guys are slightly more physical than the Knights.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Cool ya I can totally see that. I think both teams have a lot of depth, but I think Anthony Popovich > Jordan Kooy and that will be the difference honestly. And you guys are slightly more physical than the Knights.

I think goal is a question mark for both teams. Guelph has more 19 year olds/size. If I were London I'd be excited about the future, this year is bonus.

Now watch, I've jinxed it.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I don’t think this Storm team has peaked yet. Our previously injured players are still just finding their game coming back to them - that was evident through this first series with timing gaffes being evident but understandable. And Hillis is still due to come back - the 8 day layoff just helps all of it.

Well done boys - rest well, practice well, and turn the volume up to 11.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watching last night's game at the Aud the Storm played an almost perfect play off game. Their size is a major factor. It's difficult to win individual battles against them. They really never gave the Rangers many good looks by quickly closing off shooting lanes. If they keep playing a tight hard checking game like this one they will be tough to beat. Big skilled team that can skate. Deadly combination.

Reactions: Northernstormfan

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's London. I predict at least 2 or 3 games televised.

It is LSN after all. The London Sports Network.

I see London in a long series coming out on top. Home ice will mean something. I base this on Guelph's suspect goaltending. If Popovich continues with the juicy rebounds, it'll cost him.

I'm going out on a limb on this. I recognize London didn't have an easy time with Guelph this year.

Not to mention I predicted a Guelph/Niagara final shortly after the deadline.

But going into the playoffs, I'm leaning more towards Saginaw making it out of the conference.

In any event, the second round league wide will be much more competitive than the first round.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
After watching the Storm play last night I feel they are gelling more each game. Still had a couple of skilled players scratched. I think the Knights will be in tough to beat the Storm if they play the same game as last night. Never count the Knights out though. Hunter finds ways to win close games.

Bruins10

Mar 31, 2016
Credit where credit is due! I questioned how far this team would progress in the playoffs with the, sometimes, spotty goaltending that Anthony Popovich provides. But he was SOLID last night in net. If he can maintain this level of compete the future is promising. Albeit, the London Knights are going to provide a sterner test than the team they just swept aside. Nevertheless, the glass is starting to look half full!

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Nice to come out of that series unscathed. Kitchener was great down the stretch, but seemed to run out of steam.

I'm not sure this was your typical 4/5 matchup though......I think with the healthy roster, Guelph was just too much too handle.

What a start to the spring it would be, for the Storm to eliminate Kitchener and then London....two of our most hated rivals. Should be a great series though, and I find it very difficult to predict what will happen.

I'll just go with my gut. Storm in 4, win it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad