Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Not sure if it is too late to replace the coach (12 Games remaining) but you have to wonder. We emptied the cupboards to set this team up for a Championship run. Maybe the most impactful important position was not addressed?

George Burnett said it himself that the team not being ready to play is on him and we have gone several games and things are not improving. I just think that he stays on as the G.M. and let some one take over the coaching. What is Scott Walker up to these days?

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
Something I’ve failed to understand and it’s not just Guelph, all teams are doing it and even NHL teams do it. The habit of Dmen playing in front of the opposition in front of their own net. What happened to the Dman giving the player a rough going so that he thinks twice about standing there.

Also, goalies are too passive, if I had someone in front of me, I’d be giving him a shove, blocker in the back or a hack on the back of the leg.

By letting a player park himself in front of the net with no retribution, you basically give him free rain to put the puck in the net on a rebound.

Reactions: storm surge

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Starting to get concerned with this team. No reason for such a close game with this team. Previously 8-2 and 6-2 victories, today could easily have been another lose. As Larry said on the post game show, "if you end up in fourth place you will be playing a team lower than you in the standings" We haven't beaten Erie, lost twice to kitchener, haven't beaten Windsor doesn't bode well.
Something has to be done to protect the goalies in the league. Great example today, Daws was run throughout the game, two goals he was flattened. He was also hit on other occasions. His penalty was warranted, the call was right, maybe a game misconduct rather than a match penalty, unless it is an automatic match penalty. Defensemen who challenge offenders are given roughing penalties and the guy that hit the goalie laughs all the way to the bench. These guys are lucky they don't play against Billy Smith, Gump Worsley or some of the others from that era.
Agree, but you also need to give Flint credit as well.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Never once took anything away from Flint, just said I was worried about how Guelph is playing.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
habit of Dmen playing in front of the opposition in front of their own net.

New age hockey; that is called fronting the puck, D are supposed to block that puck before it gets to net so there is no tip, redirect or screen by opposing player but more often than not they end up creating a double screen. It came about because D could no longer cross check the player in back to move him out from in front of net. Best part is, watch, there are some crafty forwards who will actually cross check the defence to create a screen on their own goalie or to pick up loose pucks. Never seen a ref yet call the forward on that play.

goalies are too passive, if I had someone in front of me, I’d be giving him a shove, blocker in the back or a hack on the back of the leg.

Too many cameras now, sneeky goalies can get that past the ref but not the watching eyes of Branch's penalty police.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Too be fair on the 2nd Flint goal today where Daws was flattened the Firebirds player was shoved into him by Hanley.
Everybody booed the good goal call but that's how it goes down when your own defenceman does that.

Nowhere did I say it was Flint player's fault, I said Daws hitting the back of his head in the crossbar looked painful....

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
A few points and thoughts.

No team is as bad as its worst game or a good as its best game. Hopefully this is a slump that they will get through, the next four games will tell.

The reffing has been awful this season, not just against the Storm, and it has become epidemic.

Season ticket prices are up, again. Season ticket holders are not happy, again.

The current season ticket holder gift is selling for $3 at local thrift stores, not bad for a D level carnival prize.

The players did not look happy before, during or after the game. They did look happier than the one ref after Sammy scored, he looked like his dog just died.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
A few points and thoughts.

No team is as bad as its worst game or a good as its best game. Hopefully this is a slump that they will get through, the next four games will tell.

The reffing has been awful this season, not just against the Storm, and it has become epidemic.

Season ticket prices are up, again. Season ticket holders are not happy, again.

The current season ticket holder gift is selling for $3 at local thrift stores, not bad for a D level carnival prize.

The players did not look happy before, during or after the game. They did look happier than the one ref after Sammy scored, he looked like his dog just died.
The reffing is horrendous, just about as bad as how we season ticket holders are treated. The prices keep going up, for no explainable reason and we get absolutely nothing in return except cheesy gifts that even dollar stores wouldn't sell. The meet and greet with the Storm was supposed to be for STH only but it's not, a team signing day is gone. So what do we get??? We get the chance to pay for all the freebie tickets they give away, the discounted family of 4 package they sell, we get to have the anthem singers run amok and disturb our game watching experience while their parents get drunk and the ushers and security do nothing. I think it's time that we STH as a collective take a stand against the Storm owners and tell them that we are tired of being treated like shit by them.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Team is slumping in February.
Season Ticket Prices are Up.
Fans think they're being taken advantage of.
Players look uninterested.

So, pretty much status quo.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
The reffing is horrendous, just about as bad as how we season ticket holders are treated. The prices keep going up, for no explainable reason and we get absolutely nothing in return except cheesy gifts that even dollar stores wouldn't sell. The meet and greet with the Storm was supposed to be for STH only but it's not, a team signing day is gone. So what do we get??? We get the chance to pay for all the freebie tickets they give away, the discounted family of 4 package they sell, we get to have the anthem singers run amok and disturb our game watching experience while their parents get drunk and the ushers and security do nothing. I think it's time that we STH as a collective take a stand against the Storm owners and tell them that we are tired of being treated like **** by them.

Stop buying tickets. I did.

As you can see, it's really had a profound effect.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
indeed re coach..true Blue..I too have noticed an overall low energy.. brooding mood on team ..even after goals scored..Hope this recipe comes alive ;.. cause right now the taste needs something...needs an overall ; at least somewhat discernible offensive plan spark..not just reacting..They can be put too easily back on their heels early.too often....getting down 3 nothing in first period..That's not a winning team thing..Don't think the suits behind you guys on the bench..are gonna make you winners. Get together fellas and fire each other up..you know how to play hockey..that cup is there for the taking...GO for it.!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I'm pretty sure for 2 Club seats during the championship season it was $1000 plus the city surcharge. Can't recall next season's offhand, but I think it was around 50% more expensive which is ludicrous.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Ditto, I got a flex pack and occasional Kijiji tickets. Especially with a family, the prices are steep for STH.

The family deal they offer (for a family of four) is actually really good value, IMO. So credit them there.

Anything outside of that is a money-sink though. From tickets to concessions to merchandise...it's a money grab.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I'm pretty sure for 2 Club seats during the championship season it was $1000 plus the city surcharge. Can't recall next season's offhand, but I think it was around 50% more expensive which is ludicrous.

I was trying to remember what seasons were back then as well, and $1000 seemed to be the answer that I gave to people when asked. So somewhere that has crept up to $1725 for a pair plus the city surcharge without me paying much attention year to year. I think this will be my last season of that.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
The family deal they offer (for a family of four) is actually really good value, IMO. So credit them there.

Anything outside of that is a money-sink though. From tickets to concessions to merchandise...it's a money grab.

We're a family of 3, but I agree the family pack is good value. It's a shame since my daughter is old enough now (2.5) and enjoying the games we do attend. I was going to make a pitch to get seasons again next year until I saw the price.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
We're a family of 3, but I agree the family pack is good value. It's a shame since my daughter is old enough now (2.5) and enjoying the games we do attend. I was going to make a pitch to get seasons again next year until I saw the price.

It's true! The deal doesn't work very well if you're not a group of four.

You'll have to get out there and add another little one to the crew!

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I miss the old OHL pool they used to have in the paper. The prize was a pair of season tickets. It made the week to week interesting tracking your fantasy team. Did it die with the Mercury?

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
The following pricing for season tickets taken from each teams website:
Barrie $699-$780
Erie $510-$629 (US)
Flint $374-$629 (US)
Hamilton $510-$629
Kingston $492-$601
Kitchener $697-$766
London N/A
Mississauga $454-$690
Niagara N/A
North Bay $690
Oshawa $584-$819
Ottawa $432-$560
Owen Sound N/A
Peterboro $399-$879
Saginaw $459-$634 (US)
Sarnia $593-$785
SSM $560
Sudbury $520-$720
Windsor N/A
Guelph $562-$763
Some prices include HST and a surcharge added by the city. Others don't include either the HST or surcharges.
Some teams offer payment plans others don't.
So we can see that we in Guelph don't pay the most or the least for our season tickets. Still a decent deal for winter of entertainment.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The following pricing for season tickets taken from each teams website:
Barrie $699-$780
Erie $510-$629 (US)
Flint $374-$629 (US)
Hamilton $510-$629
Kingston $492-$601
Kitchener $697-$766
London N/A
Mississauga $454-$690
Niagara N/A
North Bay $690
Oshawa $584-$819
Ottawa $432-$560
Owen Sound N/A
Peterboro $399-$879
Saginaw $459-$634 (US)
Sarnia $593-$785
SSM $560
Sudbury $520-$720
Windsor N/A
Guelph $562-$763
Some prices include HST and a surcharge added by the city. Others don't include either the HST or surcharges.
Some teams offer payment plans others don't.
So we can see that we in Guelph don't pay the most or the least for our season tickets. Still a decent deal for winter of entertainment.
Ya, in Sudbury I just buy the cheapest season ticket seat and essentially sit or stand where I want. Now that we have some semblance of a team though I may have to rethink my strategy a little for next year.
Do you guys have buddy tickets ($5 to get a friend into the game)? I think we had five or six. Also we had redeemers as well where if you miss a game you can redeem your unused ticket for five bucks? They took away the two free playoff tickets though and ironically this is the year when we could have used them. Oh and what’s a beer cost? I easily spend more on beer than tickets anyday. I know...it runs in the breed :)

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Nice survey Geo. I went to two Vancouver Canucks games while visiting family on the West Coast last month. Opponents were the Red Wings and Sabres, good teams but not top draws. Two tickets (albeit purchased about a month before) to each game cost about $180.0o for two for each game. That was in the upper tier. The lowest I have paid in recent years for Leafs home tickets are about $110.00 each for upper tier. Last year in Vancouver while visiting family again, the cost was over $300.00 to see the Leafs out there for two tickets upper deck. So the Storm package for 34 games plus exhibition looks like a bargain if you are a hockey fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad