Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
By the looks of the Guelph bench after their goal it lookes like a clear message was sent to them... You're just not good enough.

Yet we won the last game?

One road loss in the last half of the season isn't a message sender.

London is very good at home, we won the last game. Ideally in Playoffs, coming home 1-1 would be great.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
I'm simply stating goalies have bad games, some have good games.

You can't say a goalie won't win.

We clearly had the worse goalie in that series and we still won because he played well.
You are absolutely correct about that. But that was the exception and not the norm. You need solid goaltending in the playoffs and Popp has been struggling a bit lately. Needs his confidence back, but after that stinker it's gotta play in the back of his mind. Razor had a stinker on Sunday but played well tonight. Seems Popp is in a bit of a funk.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
You are absolutely correct about that. But that was the exception and not the norm. You need solid goaltending in the playoffs and Popp has been struggling a bit lately. Needs his confidence back, but after that stinker it's gotta play in the back of his mind. Razor had a stinker on Sunday but played well tonight. Seems Popp is in a bit of a funk.

I would agree, but I can't come to a conclusion myself.

He had one goal allowed against against Sarnia, but the previous game, 5 goals on 17 shots but he was left out to dry on most of them. The previous two games were against two very offensively heavy teams in the 67's and Saginaw. I think if he tightens up a little bit, come playoffs, the Defence will tighten up too. During the game in Guelph earlier this year, he had an absolute shutdown game like Kooy did as well which ended in a London SO win. I think that was a playoff atmosphere that really aided him.

Too early to tell anyways, but definitely needs improvement.

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
I also have to say I don”t really like our line set up. Yeah it is fine when you play weak team but when we play good teams I just dont like out set up or how are lines play together.
We went to London 3 weeks ago very short up front and before the trade. We won and looked way better.

Something just doesn’t smell right.

Reactions: storm surge

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I also have to say I don”t really like our line set up. Yeah it is fine when you play weak team but when we play good teams I just dont like out set up or how are lines play together.
We went to London 3 weeks ago very short up front and before the trade. We won and looked way better.

Suggestions?

I'm looking back on the deadline and find it interesting how much Ottawa put up for DiPietro (not necessarily needing him as they now have 2 of the top 3 G's) and it still won't buy them a championship. Guelph on the other hand shored up on forward and D but if Goaltending doesn't meet/exceed expectations it doesn't really matter.

I hope we don't see it come playoffs but this game was a prime example by Guelph in all positions but goal (where it counts). Looking at injuries, could they have foregone an acquisition for DiPietro and been better off? Probably. Look at return for Merkley and flip it for DiPietro. I love Gogolev but you've got to think building from G out makes sense when a Team Canada goalie is on the market.

Reactions: hocknow

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014

Without a solid goalie come playoff time could lead to an early exit imo

Reactions: hocknow

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Suggestions?

I'm looking back on the deadline and find it interesting how much Ottawa put up for DiPietro (not necessarily needing him as they now have 2 of the top 3 G's) and it still won't buy them a championship. Guelph on the other hand shored up on forward and D but if Goaltending doesn't meet/exceed expectations it doesn't really matter.

I hope we don't see it come playoffs but this game was a prime example by Guelph in all positions but goal (where it counts). Looking at injuries, could they have foregone an acquisition for DiPietro and been better off? Probably. Look at return for Merkley and flip it for DiPietro. I love Gogolev but you've got to think building from G out makes sense when a Team Canada goalie is on the market.
I totally agree. Here is one for you, did you know Dipetro was coming to Guelph before Ottawa but we turned the deal down. I don”t care how many big names we have, when it comes to playoff hockey and big games, it is the goaltender that makes the biggest impact.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I totally agree. Here is one for you, did you know Dipetro was coming to Guelph before Ottawa but we turned the deal down. I don”t care how many big names we have, when it comes to playoff hockey and big games, it is the goaltender that makes the biggest impact.

What was ask from Windsor in the deal the Storm turned down?

JMO, but the 67s didnt pay a huge cost to acquire DiPi, all things considered.

Just curious.

Reactions: TheCoach

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Suzuki ina bit of a flat spot..new plugs maybe..In first few games trades they were scary..sputtering now.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Well London was clearly the better team last night. War is not over. I recall being in London on March 6 2004 when the Knights won a similar game by the same score between two contenders for first place. London fans innundated us there and on such them active forums like the NOOF about their team’s merits. The Storm won the playoff round that year between the two. So it is a one sided loss but only one game.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Playing in front of weak goalie is tough. Players are not the same. Good goaltending makes everyone better and more confident. examples of both are Owen Sound as a negative and Sud as a positive. Yes there are better goalies but dont you think current situation should be enough to get this line up through? It is not that bad. Over 900 save percentage and 10th in league in goals saved against average at +11.86. Those are good numbers.

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Playing in front of weak goalie is tough. Players are not the same. Good goaltending makes everyone better and more confident. examples of both are Owen Sound as a negative and Sud as a positive. Yes there are better goalies but dont you think current situation should be enough to get this line up through? It is not that bad. Over 900 save percentage and 10th in league in goals saved against average at +11.86. Those are good numbers.
You are definitely correct, teams/players play much different knowing their goalie’s capacity. However he is not over 900 he is under 900 and that will not be good enough against the top 4 to 6 teams in a series.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The Storm won the playoff round that year between the two. So it is a one sided loss but only one game.

Knights fan here can’t agree more it’s just one game. Last weekend we played back to back games that were less than stellar. There kids and as such performances are less than consistent. Playoffs are a whole new ball game. The “Top 4” are all good teams in the West and on a given night it’s a pickem on who wins? I still think 1 of the 4 may separate themselves but it should make for some great 2nd round games assuming no major upsets occur.

Reactions: aresknights

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Watched some of the game on the tube. Thought for the most part London out skated the Storm. The Storm were not using their size as much as they should be against a club with speed like the Knights. I look at the Storm size and the skill they have on their squad and see a team built for a long play off run. It's up to the coach to get these players motivated when they are playing teams in contention. Poster are correct about goaltending. If a goalie doesn't inspire confidence and make those big saves it effects the play of the whole team. It's like swimming against the current.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Actually just thinking if the standings stay where they are with the Knights first and you all in forth and no upsets happen we would meet second round potentially? I think that’s the way it would work 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3? Would be a doozy of a playoff series as the previous poster stated London can be a fast team it would be interesting to say the least? Saginaw however seems to be starting to roll a bit and could mess this all up though?

Nice to see the Storm back in it now we have to get Kitchener back to their previous levels of glory and the 401 will be a nasty place to be?

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
You are definitely correct, teams/players play much different knowing their goalie’s capacity. However he is not over 900 he is under 900 and that will not be good enough against the top 4 to 6 teams in a series.

I stand corrected. After last night he dropped to 898. That is not 900.

Just watched the highlights - there were lots of very weak goals against the Storm. Needs to be better than last night for sure. Yikes

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Everyone thought Pop was better than he was earlier, and now everyone thinks he's worse than he is. Truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Take the lumps and get better.

None of this really matters anyway, the team's pretty locked into 4th, IMO. The playoffs are where this team is going to be judged.

Maybe they were just sandbagging last night? :sarcasm:

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Suzuki has been good about 50/50. Effort is concerning IMO so not sure if there is more to read there?Entwistle has not impressed me at all. Still waiting for it. I talked to someone in Hamilton and basically I was told is “what you see is what you get”.
Durzi is better than I thought before coming to Guelph. We would not be in contention without him. Maybe a lot of negative here but I have been waiting and waiting for things to change.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Suzuki has been good about 50/50. Effort is concerning IMO so not sure if there is more to read there?Entwistle has not impressed me at all. Still waiting for it. I talked to someone in Hamilton and basically I was told is “what you see is what you get”.
Durzi is better than I thought before coming to Guelph. We would not be in contention without him. Maybe a lot of negative here but I have been waiting and waiting for things to change.

When the rumors were floating around about Suzuki coming to London his effort was concerning to some of us as well. Doesn't seem to give his all every game.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
When the rumors were floating around about Suzuki coming to London his effort was concerning to some of us as well. Doesn't seem to give his all every game.

He's an incredibly gifted player, whom I suspect leans on that part of his game at times.

We often opined in the sound, if he had the heart of Dudas, he'd be unstoppable.

Last season , when his linemates, Gadjovich, and Hancock, both had time on injury list, his play became less, uh, noticeable.

I felt as Gadjovich played, so too did the team .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Of course the flip side was, if anyone could motivate him game in, game out, it would be Dale Hunter.

On a side note, Sergey Popov scored his 2nd for the Bears last night, a beauty wrap around, to tie the game .

The goalie went left, Popov, circled the et and the knob of the gosl stick became lodged in the net on his slide across .

He tucked it 5 hole, and Dudas scored a beauty in OT, the Attack never lead till then .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sory folks, I just realized I was replying to a London fan on the Guelph board.

I'll leave it up, if it's not welcomed here I'll delete it.
Apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelli27

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Durzi is a great player. Gives 110% every shift.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
With a healthy lineup and the depth at forward, cut Suzuki's minutes if his effort isn't there...

With Ratcliffe, Schnarr, Hawel, Entwistle, Stevenson, Toropchenko, Hillis and Gogolev the top 6 is open and should be earned. Focus around pairs that produce together and add in the third with the highest GAF to complement.

Backing up before the deadline, at the start of the season Ratcliffe, Hillis and Schnarr had some good production. Gogolev and Hawel complemented each other well before Gogolev was injured.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
With a healthy lineup and the depth at forward, cut Suzuki's minutes if his effort isn't there...

With Ratcliffe, Schnarr, Hawel, Entwistle, Stevenson, Toropchenko, Hillis and Gogolev the top 6 is open and should be earned. Focus around pairs that produce together and add in the third with the highest GAF to complement.

Backing up before the deadline, at the start of the season Ratcliffe, Hillis and Schnarr had some good production. Gogolev and Hawel complemented each other well before Gogolev was injured.

I really feel like we could get some good use out of that Gogolev- Hawel - Toropchenko line again once Pavel returns.

Reactions: storm surge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->