Gudbranson lays out rookie Dube

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Need another angle. Looks like a shoulder to chest from the angle in the GIF, but my Flames fan buddy is determined that it was head to shoulder. He also needs a new team, but I digress.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he actually wasnt close to the puck when he got hit, also head was turned and in the vulnerable position...hit was a bit high too, just lucky it wasn't serious but im sure it woke the rookie up

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
because it was a heavy hit on a rookie in their first shift who didnt have the puck so wasnt braced for a hit from a 6’5 monster

I hate seeing young rookies get injured in this manner, but being in a league where you can get hit by a 6'5 monster it was within a reasonable safety-range for a "wake up call". Thing is it wasn't really blindsight because Gudbranson appears to just be standing at the line, so what Dube did was the equivalent of not paying attention to where you're going and walking into a telephone pole.

It's one thing if a Tom Wilson comes out at you from nowhere, but Gudbranson had his position already and Dube just skated right into him. At least he was upright so the hit was into the chest. If he was hunched over that's where Gudbranson would have needed to let up or otherwise face a suspension, and you never know if a player will or not.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Loves me my Guddy but I couldn't help but think of the anguished outcry from Canuck fans if that hit was a Flames bruiser against Petterson. Certainly it was a cheap unnecessary hit but it DID knock the Flames off their game (as did the unequal fight that followed it) and made up for what for Guddy was an otherwise forgettable game. Word is that the Flames are dressing their tough guy for Saturday. I for one can't wait...

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
That's an interference penalty. It's different if you hit a guy a half second later after he passed the puck, cause it's hard to stop. But lining up a check on a guy who doesn't even have the puck yet, and not going for the puck, is definitely interference.

Rookie will learn a hard lesson though here. Props to Hamonic but man he got hammered, upper cut then Guds bashed the back of his head right after. I feel for him most. I feel for him most.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
What's Hamonic thinking? And Gudbranson was +3 with an assist? Awesome night for him.

He was stepping up for a rookie that got a blindside hit from gudbranson. Yes he was way over his head but I highly doubt he would have put himself in that position otherwise.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Prout is pretty much a water boy. The only reason why he’s slightly relevant is because he floored Lucic that one time.

As for the other Prout comment - yeah.....Prout can beat up Gudbranson. I’ll give him that much. Won’t be a blow out though. Guds will give him everything he can handle. More importantly, Guds is going to stick up for the kids and no one is going to take liberties with Pettersson, Boeser, etc., as result.

Why do you think Prout will beat him up? He didn’t when they actually scrapped a few seasons ago. Get your facts straight before you make claims :help:

Reactions: RegDunlop

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Was a shame Hamonic fought him. Would have been better for Gudbranson to be on the ice for more playing time. Holy f*** is he bad at hockey. Hamonic will always stick up for his teammates, but it was a bad tradeoff because Hammer was playing well and then Stone had more ice-time who is just as God awul as Gudbranson is. Was an interesting hockey match with two of the worst defenders in the game playing in one game (Stone and Gud).

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Worth a 2 min call considering he didn't play the puck, but fine otherwise. Answered when called upon and handled business.

Also: Do the Flames not have anyone that's like. Less important to their team than Hamonic to go out and make that challenge?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
good hit that was a bit early but Dube needs to be more aware and the one who made that pass should feel bad
Are people posting here watching the entire play? From the release of the pass from the Dman?

There was a Canucks between the 2 flames. So the D to get the puck out banked it off the boards. This the pass had no chance of getting to dube.

Gudbranson was reading the Dman and expected the pass to go to dube. But due to the bank pass it was out of reach. That’s what happened. He read the play correctly in terms of what the D wanted to do but due to the forechecker had to bank the pass.

Gudbranson needed to pull up on the hit but since he didn’t earned himself an interference call.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There's a technical term for people who don't like Travis Hamonic, and that term is "asshat". Seriously, he is one of the absolute greatest guys in the whole league, I hope Gudbranson has a run in with Ross the Boss when he visits Brooklyn and gets his clock cleaned.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Worth a 2 min call considering he didn't play the puck, but fine otherwise. Answered when called upon and handled business.

Also: Do the Flames not have anyone that's like. Less important to their team than Hamonic to go out and make that challenge?

No we don’t have anyone.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Early hits or hits without the puck are so disgusting. Don’t understand why there’s never punishment. I’d rather get hit high with the puck then hit not expecting it.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
At worst, it looks like a roughing penalty for a late hit.

But there's nothing dirty here at all

Reactions: Devonator

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Did the same thing against chiasson in the pre season. Laid him out before he ever got near the puck.

That shit is dangerous imo. Disagree that it’s not dirty. Players on the receiving end have absolutely no chance to brace themselves.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No headshot, no slew foot, no malice in the hit. The play itself was illegal, but it wasn't a dirty hit.

That doesn’t make it clean.

One of the things about hitting an unsuspecting player, who isn’t eligible to be hit, is they are vulnerable. As in, unprepared and in no position to defend themselves.

What you’re saying is that it could have been even worse, but that wasn’t clean.

Edit: I see Spawn just made the exact same point.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
That doesn’t make it clean.

One of the things about hitting an unsuspecting player, who isn’t eligible to be hit, is they are vulnerable. As in, unprepared and in no position to defend themselves.

What you’re saying is that it could have been even worse, but that wasn’t clean.

Edit: I see Spawn just made the exact same point.

Never once said that. But clearly I see it differently, and I'm not going to change any opinions, nor am I looking to. So I'll leave it where it's at.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Never once said that. But clearly I see it differently, and I'm not going to change any opinions, nor am I looking to. So I'll leave it where it's at.

I notice you didn’t address the fact it was a hit on an unsuspecting player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad