Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't seen Black Panther yet, but the Guardians movies are totally different from he other Marvel movies I have seen, in a good way.

The GotG movies are pretty much the only Marvel movies that I have any interest in seeing. That's probably because they're not really superhero movies (I don't like modern superhero movies) and they take place in space (I love sci-fi movies). To me, they're more like a Star Wars parody (with StarLord being Han Solo), but less silly and more epic than Spaceballs. I have no interest in seeing any of the Avengers movies, but I'll watch a third GotG.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The GotG movies are pretty much the only Marvel movies that I have any interest in seeing. That's probably because they're not really superhero movies (I don't like modern superhero movies) and they take place in space (I love sci-fi movies). To me, they're more like a Star Wars parody (with StarLord being Han Solo), but less silly and more epic than Spaceballs. I have no interest in seeing any of the Avengers movies, but I'll watch a third GotG.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't seen an Avengers movie and have no desire to.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nice to see Gunn back in charge and be able to wrap up what he started with the first two movies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

If you check out any of the Avengers movies, the Guardian scenes in Infinity War had influence from Gunn, so may be worth checking out.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
An interesting point I saw raised on Twitter. When Disney fired Gunn, it was rushed and likely done without cause, so he probably walked away with a nice payout. When hiring him back, Disney likely needed Gunn more than the other way around, so he probably was able to negotiate himself another nice payday.

Throw in there Suicide Squad deal from WB (who probably also overpaid to get that deal to happen so quickly) and Gunn is likely on of the higher paid directors right now.

Also, by completing the GOTG trilogy, Gunn is the first director to see a specific property through its own trilogy in the MCU.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Good. Was stupid to fire him in the first place. Yes, he made a insulting joke, but that was years ago and he apologized for it. In addition,what isnthe difference between his joke and the jokes made by some of the comedians that exist today?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sounds like part of the story will be High Evolutionary and his role into making Rocket a sentient being.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I mean I get that some might be annoyed again because of a change to a character that had previously always been voiced by a man but whatever the character is minor in the world of Marvel. And as far as I can remember they never gave the character in vol 1.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Looking forward to it. In spite of all the mediocrity that has come out of the fourth phase of the MCU, the Guardians are my favorite sub-property of the MCU (even if Waititi wasted them in Thor 4). I've always held the original as my favorite MCU movie but it's gotten to a point where it outright transcends the MCU for me. One of my personal favorite movies to sit down and just have a good time with. And while I don't hold the sequel as high, I have love for that movie too. I trust that Gunn is going to deliver something great in what is essentially a send off movie.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
They announced the song list for Volume 3:
  • Radiohead, “Creep (Acoustic)“
  • Heart, “Crazy on You”
  • Rainbow, “Since You Been Gone”
  • Spacehog, “In the Meantime”
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire, “Reasons”
  • The Flaming Lips, “Do You Realize??”
  • Faith No More, “We Care a Lot”
  • EHAMIC, “Koinu no Carnival (from ‘Minute Waltz’)”
  • Alice Cooper, “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows”
  • The Mowgli’s, “San Francisco”
  • X, “Poor Girl”
  • The The, “This Is the Day”
  • Beastie Boys, “No Sleep Till Brooklyn”
  • Florence + the Machine, “Dog Days Are Over”
  • Bruce Springsteen, “Badlands”
A bit more 90s-early 2000s than in volumes 1 & 2, which makes sense since Starlord was gifted a Zune at the end of volume 2

Sep 19, 2008
77% approval.

I'm struggling to understand why this gets 77 and it might as well be a good movie, but Quantumania, which is also a good movie, gets 50%. Oh well. Probably not worth my time trying to analyze these idiot critics

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I didn't really enjoy any of the Marvel flicks after Endgame, but I do like this one. Quite a funny movie, but also a bit disturbing and sad. Drax has some particularly funny scenes (audio channels, maintenance technicians). Is it me or does Nebula look slightly... bloated?

A few logical inconsistencies:

Why didn't they just communicate with the spaceship children via Mantis? She was able to communicate with the three beasts, so why not with the children too? Makes no sense.

If Rocket is THAT intelligent, one would think he'd have acted more like a Tony Stark and Bruce Banner in the earlier movies.

I really thought that Quill was dead when he froze and his face started to deform in outerspace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad