Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Disney's not painted into a corner, but their whole reason for existing is to make money. Ostracizing an extremely popular cast for taking a moral stand and burying the franchise would hurt both their brand and their pocketbook needlessly. Probably not something they want to pursue.

What moral stand? You've got a guy who said some pretty horrible things on twitter who was too stupid to delete them, and even had the gaul to call out others for the things they post, but wants to be treated differently because of his political alignment and all the cast can do is sign a group statement that boils down to

"He did bad things, but...but... BUT what about Trump?"

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What moral stand? You've got a guy who said some pretty horrible things on twitter who was too stupid to delete them, and even had the gaul to call out others for the things they post, but wants to be treated differently because of his political alignment and all the cast can do is sign a group statement that boils down to

"He did bad things, but...but... BUT what about Trump?"

wat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you read the actors tweets and see their interviews they want to deflect away from the garbage Gunn said and make it more about the fact a couple of dbag Trump nut huggers were the ones who unearthed it.

I've said my piece on this already in the thread.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If you read the actors tweets and see their interviews they want to deflect away from the garbage Gunn said and make it more about the fact a couple of dbag Trump nut huggers were the ones who unearthed it.
They weren't even the first ones to make it known. This whole ordeal happened years ago, which Gunn apologized for.

The attempt to use it against Gunn in bad faith AGAIN is why it was stupid for Disney to be so reactionary.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They weren't even the first ones to make it known. This whole ordeal happened years ago, which Gunn apologized for.

The attempt to use it against Gunn in bad faith AGAIN is why it was stupid for Disney to be so reactionary.

yup, i said it a few pages ago, but my stance is this:

if these were new tweets, then sure, fire him.

but they were known when he was hired...if they werent bad enough to prevent him from getting the job, then they shouldnt then be the reason he is fired.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I had never heard about any of these tweets until they were recently unearthed, so they were new to me (a huge MCU fan) and probably to most everybody else.

I sometimes feel bad for Gunn, but then I am reminded of how hypocritical his most vocal supporters are and that sympathy evaporates. If the occasional outspoken liberal has to pay a consequence for their bad words then so be it. This is the media landscape people like Gunn created. From their horrible "edgy" pre-woke humor, to their insufferable SJW wailing in an effort to make amends for the shitty person they spent their youth being.

Good riddance.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As long as they aren't raping kids/women, I personally couldn't care less if the director of a comic book movie is a total douchebag. His job is to entertain me with a good movie, his social views mean nothing to me. The politicization of pop-culture is such an annoying and boring trend

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I had never heard about any of these tweets until they were recently unearthed, so they were new to me (a huge MCU fan) and probably to most everybody else.

I sometimes feel bad for Gunn, but then I am reminded of how hypocritical his most vocal supporters are and that sympathy evaporates. If the occasional outspoken liberal has to pay a consequence for their bad words then so be it. This is the media landscape people like Gunn created. From their horrible "edgy" pre-woke humor, to their insufferable SJW wailing in an effort to make amends for the ****ty person they spent their youth being.

Good riddance.

Are you saying people shouldn’t make amends for their past and try to learn/ grow from it?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The right decision - and I say that as someone who doesn't care at all if this movie gets made. There's a difference between hateful statements and bad attempts at jokes. His lame jokes were from years ago, and he seemingly changed and apologized even before this whole situation. There doesn't seem to be any real reason to keep him from working, unlike say Roseanne who tweets racists things while employed by a network.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I wonder if he's still doing Suicide Squad 2 before GOTG 3?

It seems like that is the plan. WB was smart to pounce on that right away.

It'll be interesting to see how similar those movies end up feeling.

While I've liked Gunns GOTG films thus far, I wouldn't have minded seeing Taika Waititi with the reins. But, given the strong bond that the cast had with Gunn, it would have been tough to move on without him involved.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The right decision - and I say that as someone who doesn't care at all if this movie gets made. There's a difference between hateful statements and bad attempts at jokes. His lame jokes were from years ago, and he seemingly changed and apologized even before this whole situation. There doesn't seem to be any real reason to keep him from working, unlike say Roseanne who tweets racists things while employed by a network.
Man if half the shit Carlin/Chappelle/Burr/CK say in their acts if it was typed out instead as a twitter post and people had no ability to actually watch the act it'd be the same thing. Context is everything and when you got every jabroni reading something they are going to interpret it exactly how they read it off the screen which would never be a good thing for any comedian.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Man if half the **** Carlin/Chappelle/Burr/CK say in their acts if it was typed out instead as a twitter post and people had no ability to actually watch the act it'd be the same thing. Context is everything and when you got every jabroni reading something they are going to interpret it exactly how they read it off the screen which would never be a good thing for any comedian.

I understand the point that you're making, but using Louis CK as an example probably doesn't help the case.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He had no business being fired to begin with. The tweets he made were all jokes from years before he was hired to make the first GOTG movie and he had publicly apologized well before Cernovich used them to get Gunn fired.

It wasn't like Rosanne when she made her comments because she made them while being employed at the house of mouse and then blamed it on ambien instead of apologizing. It's not like she decided to stop being like an ass a decade ago, became employed by Disney, and then got canned for behavior that she has grown out of.

But good on Disney for correcting their mistake. And good on Gunn for being big enough to return after all that.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad