Movies: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To take your reckoning to its logical conclusion, a plumbing business would be perfectly within its rights to fire a 30 year old for a Facebook post he made when he was in high school.

That's not a reasonable analogy because it's understood that people do a lot of growing up between their teens and their 30s and Gunn was already in his 40s when he made the offensive tweets.

As far as I'm concerned, no business should have the right to fire you for something you did before you were in their employ, so long as it didn't break any laws.

If that were the case, businesses would be a lot more thorough in scrutinizing people's pasts before hiring them and what you were afraid of earlier, that a past indiscretion would ruin their employability for life, would be even more likely. Don't forget that if a business or institution can't fire you for one thing, they'll just find or make some other excuse and you'll still end up fired. It wouldn't really hamper them, but it would hamper anyone with skeletons in the closet from getting work. What you're proposing would hurt the very people that you're meaning to help, and a guy like Gunn wouldn't have gotten to write and direct two 'Guardians' films, much less three.

Gunn wasn't famous at the time. And if he had deleted the tweets, would that have made any difference? He still put it out there, so I don't see how removing the evidence remedies anything.

He was famous in 2008-2010. He had been writing, producing and directing films since the late 90s.

As for the tweets, I presume that the folks who uncovered them went through his tweet history. If he had deleted them, they wouldn't have found them... and even if they'd found mention or quoting of them, having long since deleted them might've conveyed enough remorse, as well as excuse (due to lack of direct evidence), for Disney to not act on it.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The thing that gets me, is that these tweets were dug up for the purpose of ruining his life. And the perpetrators succeeded. People being ruined for misspeaking is absolutely ridiculous.

Entertainment professionals crack sick jokes the same way that doctors and nurses laugh about carnage. Stand-up comedians often NEED to cross the lines of taste in order to refine and nail their jokes. Getting people fired for being subjectively offensive should not be allowed. Don’t like it? Turn the channel.

Reactions: Amorgus and shello

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The thing that gets me, is that these tweets were dug up for the purpose of ruining his life. And the perpetrators succeeded. People being ruined for misspeaking is absolutely ridiculous.

Entertainment professionals crack sick jokes the same way that doctors and nurses laugh about carnage. Stand-up comedians often NEED to cross the lines of taste in order to refine and nail their jokes. Getting people fired for being subjectively offensive should not be allowed. Don’t like it? Turn the channel.

This isn't new, though. I think its absolutely despicable that people do that, but people have been doing it for a while now, and it isn't limited to one side of the aisle. Conservatives and Liberals alike have been doing this for quite some time, and i think its gross.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Maybe you shouldn’t make statements without reading the details first then? I do agree with most of your post though. There is a lot of downside, but it is really not that hard to avoid making rape jokes.
My statement was general. If that wasn't obvious then that's on you.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

It's even more ridiculous when you consider it's the Pizzagate guy pushing this on twitter

How Pizzagate Pusher Mike Cernovich Keeps Getting People Fired | HuffPost

This little army is now going after comedians like Patton Oswalt and Anthony Jeselnik. Anyone that is politically active and has tweets that can be taken out of context.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A petition for those who want to try to change Disney's mind. Likely won't have any affect, but there's nearly 30,000 names signed as of this post, so at least you can make your voice heard a bit.

Sign the Petition

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
This isn't new, though. I think its absolutely despicable that people do that, but people have been doing it for a while now, and it isn't limited to one side of the aisle. Conservatives and Liberals alike have been doing this for quite some time, and i think its gross.
Some lady I got into a disagreement on a matter in a FB comment section messaged my old place of work (don't have it up to date on my page) to try to get me fired. My old boss told her to F off :laugh: People are fragile nowadays that they need to try to ruin your life if you disagree with them.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
They are. Whether this is something that hurts Disney, either due to inferior product or simply narrowing the pool of available talent only to people who have never said anything remotely controversial, no matter how long ago or what their job was at the time, remains to be seen.

Can we stop acting like this was “remotely controversial”? I don’t think anyone with the maturity past a middle schooler thinks this was a great thing to post.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
A petition for those who want to try to change Disney's mind. Likely won't have any affect, but there's nearly 30,000 names signed as of this post, so at least you can make your voice heard a bit.

Sign the Petition
Agree it won't have any luck, but I signed it anyway.

Such a stupid situation. I don't find his jokes funny, but I've laughed at Daniel Tosh before so it would be pretty hypocritical of me to be mad about this.

I could ALMOST be on board if he said this yesterday while working for Disney. But he didn't.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We should all be fired from our jobs because we've all said or done things that would be considered awful by someone else at some point in time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I would hardly call what he did "misspeaking." He clearly meant to say what he did, he didn't even deny it and, supposedly, he's said a lot of other things along the same lines.

This little army is now going after comedians like Patton Oswalt and Anthony Jeselnik. Anyone that is politically active and has tweets that can be taken out of context.

I'm not sure what an appropriate "context" for rape jokes would be.

Reactions: LarKing

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I'm not sure what an appropriate "context" for rape jokes would be.
Delivery certainly is one thing. The way Anthony Jeselnik delivers a joke helps with the reaction he gets at a show. Compare that to someone simply reading it on twitter & projecting a tone onto it that they've come up with.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It's even more ridiculous when you consider it's the Pizzagate guy pushing this on twitter

How Pizzagate Pusher Mike Cernovich Keeps Getting People Fired | HuffPost

The f***ing irony of that rag Huff Post to pretend they're outraged over the firing of someone based on something stupid they said is delicious

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
While Gunn did a great job with GOTG 1 & 2, at the end of the day, you're responsible for what you post online. Doesn't matter if you were "joking" - you cant get away with that shit in 2018.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
While Gunn did a great job with GOTG 1 & 2, at the end of the day, you're responsible for what you post online. Doesn't matter if you were "joking" - you cant get away with that **** in 2018.

which is the problem.

this whole rush to be outraged culture is pathetic and serves no purpose. literally any joke can be offensive if you dissect it enough.

people need to get thicker skin and a few less twists in their undergarments.

I swear the jokes in a Mel Brooks comedy might break their brains

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
which is the problem.

this whole rush to be outraged culture is pathetic and serves no purpose. literally any joke can be offensive if you dissect it enough.

I swear the jokes in a Mel Brooks comedy might break their brains

While some people do look to be offended at times, most people I know simply have higher standards for what is acceptable. I think you’re making a pretty big leap from rape jokes being offensive to anything being offensive. It’s not that hard to avoid being an asshole and have a little thought about other people. Don’t be so sensitive to the changing times.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
They were over the line back then too.

Id be fired from my job if I did this, and Im not employed by a company which is known the world over for childrens entertainment.

Disneys biggest mistake was hiring him in the first place.
Comedians get passes on all type of edgy takes. Should Eddie Murphy be ousted from Hollywood for comments he made 30 years ago about gays?

No one know what will be acceptable 10 years from now.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Mike Cernovich and the alt-right Twittersphere could ultimately be responsible for the downfall the MCU.

:popcorn:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I can't believe that people, particularly famous people, don't regularly back check their social media. Hell I have like 100 followers and I regularly check to make sure nothing dumb is left up for my own peace of mind. It's not that hard and can be life saver, particularly for high profile people.

That said, it sounds like the cast is quite upset. I don't think this story is done yet.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Not tolerating something doesn't necessarily equate to being "outraged" by it, and not tolerating everything serves a very important societal purpose.

Surely, you're not suggesting that rape victims "get thicker skin." If you mean everyone else, part of a healthy society is sticking up for others, particularly others who are unable or afraid to do so for themselves. I think that rape victims definitely fall into that latter category. If the rest of us tolerate and even laugh at rape jokes, there will be more and more of them made, causing more and more hurt for rape victims. It's not about being "outraged," but taking a stand to draw a line somewhere.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->