Online Series: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This was really fun. One reveal about a character which I sort of expected. Quick post-credit scene. Practical effect Groot was interesting.
Nope, he was CGI and I thought he looked a little off

It was a fun show, the Rocket gift was great! Kevin Bacon was amazing to go along with all of it.

Imagine being a band, the Old 97s in this case, and getting to play dressed as aliens in a Marvel movie lol

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I really wanted to like it, but very little of the humor landed for me, and there wasn't much else there. The music was fun, though.
Think Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolf the red nose reindeer from the 60's and 70's. That's what he was going after and he nailed that vibe.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I liked it.
I've never been a fan of Drax and this special didn't really change my opinion of him but I have gained a lot of appreciation for Mantis and even Kraglin. And as others have said, I hope we get to see more of Cosmo.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I liked it.
I've never been a fan of Drax and this special didn't really change my opinion of him but I have gained a lot of appreciation for Mantis and even Kraglin. And as others have said, I hope we get to see more of Cosmo.
We didn't see him use it but looks like Kraglin now has Yondu's fin and thus arrow?

Gunn has been saying that he also used this special to lay some groundwork for GotG 3 by revealing certain things like the Collector being alive and selling the Guardians Knowhere, Cosmo being on the team now, the family link for Star Lord and Mantis, etc.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He has the device on his head and at one point, Kraglin says he hasn't mastered it yet so, yes, he has the arrow now.
Missed the part where he said he hasn't mastered it. Figured if he had the fin installed, linked to his brain, he must have the arrow even if we didn't see it.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
He was (poorly) using the arrow in one of GOTG Vol 2. 's many mid-credits scenes if I recall correctly

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
LOL, that looks good, kind of like the Star Trek IV of GoG.

GoG was always going to have to be a bit on the silly side to pull off properly, it has a talking tree and a talking raccoon as two of the characters.

Plus the inherent joke about the Star Wars holiday special.

ROCKET IS A RABBIT!

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
This was really fun. One reveal about a character which I sort of expected. Quick post-credit scene. Practical effect Groot was interesting.

CGI or not, I can't stop seeing:
pillowfight-community.gif

If it is CGI as Gunn claimed, they did a really good job of giving him "weight". One of the first times I've been unsure about CGI vs Practical. I figured it was a full suit and they added CGI to the face after. While also saying something about how good the CGI is, I think it also says something about how good they've come with Practical techniques as well.

• Haha
Reactions: John Price

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thought it was well done. I enjoyed the little backstory nugget they gave to Yondu and his interest in little toy knickknacks and had a whole line of them on his ship. I mean if you're going to explain a character's quirk that no one really needed an explanation for, might as well make it touching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad