GTA VI???

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Reminds me of what Valve has become since Steam became a thing. We are missing out on some great titles because they found other easier ways of revenue.

They built an online world where teenagers can be virtual drug-dealers and go to exotic clubs on private islands. I don't know WHY it's so appealing but it is. I watched one of my buddies play GTA V a lot over the winter and he's completely hooked on it. Has the submarine, flying car, attack helicopters, etc...

It just seems like pointless grinding. I got that impression in the two or so weeks i was playing RDR 2 Online. At least if you're going to grind away in a FPS there's still some skill behind every game you play. To each their own but i don't see the fun in Rockstar Online.

*Although playing that TRON game in GTAV was fun as f***

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They should just remaster Vice City and San Andreas as one game, keep all the original stories and soundtracks, just with the better graphics and features from the later games, and the online play

I think the game engine might be too old to do a remaster. It's what's stopping Star Trek Online from getting a proper makeover. Stuck with an over 10 year old engine.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think the game engine might be too old to do a remaster. It's what's stopping Star Trek Online from getting a proper makeover. Stuck with an over 10 year old engine.

That's when a remaster is most warranted: when the original engine is out of date and the devs can't add more features or lipstick to it without overhauling it. Too many games are released with boosts to game resolution, texture resolution and other eye candy and are called "remasters," but they're not really, IMO. They're just upgraded versions of the originals. When you get to the point that you can't upgrade the original much further or the gains aren't worth it, as it sounds like the case with Star Trek Online and is certainly the case with Vice City and San Andreas, that's when remastering makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Well they managed it for Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2

Something along that line is what I was thinking of

I understand San Andreas especially was a much bigger game than each of those, but combined with Vice City it still wouldn't be as big a game as GTA V if you kept the same sized maps

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well they managed it for Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2

Something along that line is what I was thinking of

I understand San Andreas especially was a much bigger game than each of those, but combined with Vice City it still wouldn't be as big a game as GTA V if you kept the same sized maps
Tony Hawk Pro Skater has gameplay that aged very well, so just upgrading the graphics, frame rate, and some small changes work. Its gameplay is timeless. The issue with the PS2 era GTA games and a fair amount of older 3D games of the action/adventure variety, is that the game would feel outdated due to the mechanics limiting it. The aiming and lack of stealth/cover would make it stick out like a sore thumb for example. Certain games have timeless ability to hold up like many early to mid 90's 16 bit platformers (Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong Country, etc). Whereas other iconic games which were revolutionary at their time, just don't hold up like Goldeneye or the PS2 era GTA games. To make it feel modern, it would probably need a new engine, which would make it a very time-consuming project. The Mass Effect remakes for example had to re-use Unreal Engine 3 due to the fact they would have had to re-do every cut scene and make massive changes.

GTA III and its two sequels are probably my favorite games of all time and changed what I thought was possible in a video game, but to make it feel modern it would need a massive re-working.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Imagine the wait for GTA 6 to GTA 7, that should be fun.
Could be shorter to be honest. I think they are done with Red Dead Redemption. That series primary theme is the death of the old west. They can't really go past RDR1 as that takes them into WW1 era and I doubt they have much interest in going the prequel route again. I also don't think RDR Online has been the money maker they were hoping for. Maybe they have a new IP they'd like to launch, but I wouldn't be shocked if they just became the GTA studio going forward.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I bitch a moan about every remaster and rereleased game, but I’m pretty hyped for a GTA 3, VC, SA remaster. I will play the hell out of them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I bitch a moan about every remaster and rereleased game, but I’m pretty hyped for a GTA 3, VC, SA remaster. I will play the hell out of them.
I'll wait to see the reviews, but I'm likely to get them and play the hell out of them. I'm very curious of what the GTA V expanded edition is. If it has any new form of single-player story I'm gonna get it, if it's just upgraded graphics and frame rates I won't.

Sep 19, 2008
The Yakuza remasters have done quite well, save for a few complaints about the editing of the dialogue, but that's a whole different ordeal with Japanese to English translation.

That is clearly not the issue here for GTA.

Playing GTA SA remastered is going to kick ass. GTA SA is arguably the best GTA ever made. I just hope they remove all flying missions or Zero. Might as well edit him out of the game. :laugh:

"DAMN YOU KINGSLEYYYYYY!"

:laugh:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The Yakuza remasters have done quite well, save for a few complaints about the editing of the dialogue, but that's a whole different ordeal with Japanese to English translation.

That is clearly not the issue here for GTA.

Playing GTA SA remastered is going to kick ass. GTA SA is arguably the best GTA ever made. I just hope they remove all flying missions or Zero. Might as well edit him out of the game. :laugh:

"DAMN YOU KINGSLEYYYYYY!"

:laugh:

Berkley**

Reactions: John Price

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Plus IIRC, the original PS2 disk version of San Andreas had an issue where the plane's fuel level would deplete rapidly even if you were just gliding. Therefore making that specific Zero mission impossible to beat basically.

Fortunately they fixed that issue for the PSN digital copy version for sure as well as for the PC and Xbox versions of San Andreas too I think.

@John Price

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Some people were also butthurt about the removal of transphobic side missions. Whining about the translations I don't get, if people want it to be literal instead of Americanized localization they should learn the original language.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While we all know it's in the works, seems its about to be confirmed. We've seen 2000 or so rumors about trailers any day since like 2016, but I will say Schrier is by far the most reliable reporter in the gaming industry. So, for him to go to press on this to Bloomberg makes me feel it's likely.

• Love
Reactions: BTP

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Jason Schrier is as legit as it gets.

Announcement this week, trailer next month.

internet gonna break

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->