Trade: [GSW/MIN] D'Angelo Russell, Jacob Evans, Omari Spellman for Andrew Wiggins, 2021 1st, 2021 2nd

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not to mention wiggins contract is awful. i think he'll do well in GS but that contract....yikes

warriors basically dealt KD for wiggins and a few picks

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wiggins is the GoodWill version of KD, maybe they're banking on that same style when Klay and Steph return.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I feel like at the very worst, Wiggins is another Barnes... Who is signed for 4 years... At $30 mill a season.

The key here is the 1st round pick, which is only top-3 protected. Very possible that it ends up being a lottery pick.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I like this trade for the Warriors. If there was ever a team that get something productive out of Wiggins, it's the Warriors and their style of play. Worst comes to worst, they can use Wiggins to match salaries when they trade for a star in the off-season. They've got two potential top-10 draft picks and they're absolutely going to look to trade both for a 4th star to go with Curry/Thompson/Green.

Reactions: Jack Straw

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This is the first big misstep the Warriors have made since the beginning of their run

They turned an iffy trade piece in D'Lo into one of the most toxic contracts in the league

I thought they were gonna wait it out and eventually use Russell's salary and their high pick to trade for a disgruntled star in the summer to make a new big-4

There aren't enough draft picks in the world to offset the Wiggins contract, this is a huge mistake

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I just saw, sure i saw it when it happened, that if the Warriors picked 21-30 then their 1st round pick would go to the Nets but since they are obviously not the Nets only get a 2025 2nd rounder. Bet the Nets werent expecting that lol

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Wiggins has been a bust but I like this for Golden State. Russell was never going to work out if they actually had thoughts of trying it next year.

He'll be the third or fourth option in the starting lineup as an actual SF. It's Harrison Barnes all over again...maybe even if a bit better

Odds of that 2022 first rounder being a lottery pick always feels quite likely to me. I have zero faith in Minnesota even challenging for the 8th seed.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Put up or shut up for Wiggins. One of the most overhyped prospects I've seen in any sport. His time in Minnesota was summed up that night last season when Doris Burke tore into him.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Horrible trade for the Warriors. Wiggins is awful.

Russell was going to be moved regardless with Klay coming back next year and with a lost season I guess they wanted to roll the dice / did not think they'd get more for him in the summer. A key thing is teams are trying to hoard cap space for 2021.

Put up or shut up for Wiggins. One of the most overhyped prospects I've seen in any sport. His time in Minnesota was summed up that night last season when Doris Burke tore into him.

He was hyped up because he was probably the best Canadian prospect ever, at least at that point. Nash is obviously an all time great but he was never a big name prospect, Wiggins was essentially billed as the Canadian Jordan (Maple Jordan)

Wiggins has been a bust but I like this for Golden State. Russell was never going to work out if they actually had thoughts of trying it next year.

He'll be the third or fourth option in the starting lineup as an actual SF. It's Harrison Barnes all over again...maybe even if a bit better

Odds of that 2022 first rounder being a lottery pick always feels quite likely to me. I have zero faith in Minnesota even challenging for the 8th seed.

His defence is awful but he is nowhere near a bust. Guys like Anthony Bennett are what you would call a bust. Wiggins at least has the numbers and is still in the league 6 years after being drafted.

Reactions: hockey20000

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This is the first big misstep the Warriors have made since the beginning of their run

They turned an iffy trade piece in D'Lo into one of the most toxic contracts in the league

I thought they were gonna wait it out and eventually use Russell's salary and their high pick to trade for a disgruntled star in the summer to make a new big-4

There aren't enough draft picks in the world to offset the Wiggins contract, this is a huge mistake

They were never gonna get another star for both Russell and their own pick. What kind of a team is going to trade their own star and take back a lesser player and a high draft pick? It just doesn't align with any team in contention or in rebuilding mode.

Now the Warriors have two potential top-10 picks and large salary to make just about any trade work. Say what you want about Wiggins' contract, but a rebuilding team can easily take him on since they're not going to win in the near future anyways. He has 3 years left on his contract. Just get through two seasons, and by the time his 3rd season comes around, it's an expiring contract and suddenly, it has some value now.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
not to mention wiggins contract is awful. i think he'll do well in GS but that contract....yikes

warriors basically dealt KD for wiggins and a few picks

I mean, at least they got something in return :dunno:

Most teams lose a star player and get 0 back, other than the occasional trade exception

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad