Gryba

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I am hearing all kinds of good things about Gryba these days which is fantastic. My question is, what part of his game has improved? The last time I saw him, he skated like he had concrete blocks attached to his feet. He seriously lacked mobility and I did not think he had a shot of carving out an NHL career.

I love guys that are not afraid to play physical, throw the body around and stick up for teammates, so naturally I always wanted to see gryba do well, but like I said, I didn't think he had the mobility. Has that part of his game improved at all? Can he play against top lines in the AHL? NHL upside?

General Granny*

Had a 99.6M slap shot at the All star comp yesterday.

Leads all league in +/-

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
So would a comparison be carkner, minus some toughness but maybe a bit more offence?

He's less of a pylon than Carkner, but still a pylon.

I think his biggest problem is he lacks speed. He's definitely improved on his handling leaving the zone, although he does still make mistakes.

Lately since the call-ups we've been calling him "The Hammer" because of his slap shot from the point. It doesn't usually go on net, but it's close to 100 mph.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It's a good question. Does he have the foot speed to make the NHL?

I would think yes.

Big men don't look as fast, they general lack quickness, but Gryba skates pretty well and reads the play well which prevents him from getting caught out of position.

BM/TM wanted to see him be a more physical player, watching him play this year he definitely is progressing and could make the jump to Ottawa next season.

Gryba, like D. Smith, could easily get an opportunity with another NHL team in 2014 if the Sens don't have a spot.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to see Gryba replace Benoit on the right side on the 3rd pairing. Let him play with Wiercioch on the 3rd pairing when you want more offence & with Boroweicki when you want more physicality in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->