Gryba and Hoffman sent to Bingo and recalled

LoneSteele

Mar 5, 2011
Edmonton, AB
My guess is that these 2 were called up on emergency (injury) basis. The players they replaced (Hoffman: Michalek), and Gryba (?) are ready to return soon, so now these 2 are normal callups, and wont have to be sent to AHL when the players are healthy.

Given what Holdurbreathe posted this seems to be the most logical explanation. Is Cowen really that close?

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Yeah I don't really notice that as much. He's not on for many goals against. He may not be as effective as he has been at times, but it's still pretty impressive that he's even on the +/- column.

But I agree that Cowen will be huge- more-so for pushing Benoit out of the line-up entirely.

I'd honestly push Gryba out rather than Benoit if Cowen is ready to play big minutes. We can't have too many defensive d-men, and Cowen is essentially a much better Gryba.

To me, Gryba has been getting exposed more and more as the season goes on. He's a very weak puck handler, especially in the defensive zone, and has a tendency to get walked. He's certainly had opportunities to show his toughness more than he has as well, for whatever reason.

Kester

Mar 8, 2006
Scranton PA
To me it seems to be some sort of "modified" clear day roster, just without the term clear day. I found two articles describing the situation for the Stars:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/stars-send-jordie-benn-colton-sceviour-back-to-ahl.html/

AHL rules state that to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, a player must be on the roster before the NHL trade deadline, which was 2 p.m. Wednesday.

It then dictates that an NHL team can make only four call-ups during the remainder of the NHL season. The rule keeps NHL teams who don’t make the playoffs from loading up their AHL rosters, thus keeping the AHL playoffs a little more fair.

http://www.hillcountrynews.com/sports/texas_stars/article_21cb068c-9c8c-11e2-93bb-001a4bcf887a.html

Just a short while later, Texas announced that Dallas was returning Chiasson, Fraser and Sceivour to Texas. The team stated that by assigning Chiasson, Fraser and Sceviour to the AHL prior to Wednesday's National Hockey League trade deadline at 2:00 p.m. CDT, Dallas ensures that all three forwards are eligible for the AHL’s Calder Cup Playoffs.

NHL rules state that only players recalled to the NHL after the trade deadline are allowed to be sent back down to the AHL affiliate for any regular or post-season action

Since there appears to be a limit on the amount of call ups, I think that means it would have been impossible to send down and recall all the former Binghamton players.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'd honestly push Gryba out rather than Benoit if Cowen is ready to play big minutes. We can't have too many defensive d-men, and Cowen is essentially a much better Gryba.

To me, Gryba has been getting exposed more and more as the season goes on. He's a very weak puck handler, especially in the defensive zone, and has a tendency to get walked. He's certainly had opportunities to show his toughness more than he has as well, for whatever reason.

I would expect Gryba to simplify his game with Cowen in, but he's not there to be a pmd- like Benoit is- so I'm more inclined to overlook Gryba's gaffes with the puck than Benoit's. He's learning the game here still and taking on tough assignments- and I'll grant that he's not ready for them, but I'm still impressed with how he's doing.

Prime example of Benoit's decision making lately was the pass he made to Phillips on the PP in the leaf "game"- where Phillips ended up getting called for interference. Rather than throw the puck around the boards or toward the net, he puts it along the line and out. He's hurt or tired and needs to be paired with someone other than Phillips to succeed- but Phillips is a 3rd pairing guy now and isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Can not wait until Cowen comes back and takes Gryba's minutes away. Playing way too many and it shows.

I couldn't agree more, benoit is a much better player then Gryba. Way less turnovers much better at moving the puck. His gap control is stronger and so is his compete. Grybs has 2 things on him, his size and the way he shoots that's it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
i hope gryba sticks next year in a lesser role obviously. i think he brings what we need on the right hand side.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
i hope gryba sticks next year in a lesser role obviously. i think he brings what we need on the right hand side.

Me too, I think he is a 3rd pairing guy with size & grit who has the ability to drop them if required although we haven't seen that yet. It will be interesting to see if Sdao will have the ability to pass Gryba next yr since he too is big, tough & plays the right side.

I also think that Ceci could have a shot at replacing Gonchar although it may not be at the beginning of the season but later in the yr, maybe around February. It will be interesting to see if Gonchar is re-signed, my guess is that he will not & the Murrays continue with the re-build. They could get a younger but experienced UFA this summer to replace Gonchar until Ceci is NHL ready.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Benoit is a UFA on July 1, is he not? I doubt we re-sign him, but he has probably done enough to earn a one way deal from someone in the league. Good for him - it's nice to see a guy stick with it in his pro career, and be rewarded...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Me too, I think he is a 3rd pairing guy with size & grit who has the ability to drop them if required although we haven't seen that yet. It will be interesting to see if Sdao will have the ability to pass Gryba next yr since he too is big, tough & plays the right side.

I also think that Ceci could have a shot at replacing Gonchar although it may not be at the beginning of the season but later in the yr, maybe around February. It will be interesting to see if Gonchar is re-signed, my guess is that he will not & the Murrays continue with the re-build. They could get a younger but experienced UFA this summer to replace Gonchar until Ceci is NHL ready.

i'd like to resign gonchar if we can't get an upgrade in free agency. which is very likely.

as for ceci, i don't think he'll be playing with any regularity on the big team next year. maybe a game here and there, barring injuries of course.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL

After watching Sdao the past few weeks, he's already just as good as Gryba. I really like this kid.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I couldn't agree more, benoit is a much better player then Gryba. Way less turnovers much better at moving the puck. His gap control is stronger and so is his compete. Grybs has 2 things on him, his size and the way he shoots that's it.

Agreed on all accounts.

After watching Sdao the past few weeks, he's already just as good as Gryba. I really like this kid.

Sounds about right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad