Grubauer....thoughts?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Longtime Rangers fan but but Grubauer owner in my longtime $$ fantasy keeper league this year as of 2 nights ago...lol. Besides that, of all the teams in the league other than my Rangers, the 'Lanche have always been my favorite "other team" I root for since the days when you guys had Hejduk, Kamensky, Deadmarsh...etc....you get the point...lol

I'm thinking your team is all ready set to go to and at least make another long playoff run this year and possibly further if everything comes together which obviously includes Rantanen signing and just as importantly and the reason for this thread of mine, Grubauer continuing his evolution into a studly #1 goalkeeper in the leauge.

I obviously feel he has showed enough by now to show he has the potential as I wouldn't have drafted him but I'm wondering from y'all in here who have watched him all his time here in Colorado and have a better perspective than me who just has watched him on my NHL Center Ice Package, if you guys feel he's ready to join the elite and become a Top 10 goalie this year in the neighborhood of the Rinne's, Price's, Holtby's, Fleury's of the world?

Any insights from you guys are most appreciated and good luck to you guys this season...cheers!!

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Welcome friend!

First rule is don't call us the 'Lanche. Hahaha jk (but seriously don't do it);)

As for Grubauer I don't think he'll ever be in the top 10 of goalies in this league, at least consistently. However he shouldn't have to be if we've built this team right and our young D pan out as we hope.

I think Grubauer will have a good year this year, better than last year and should rack up a decent amount of wins hopefully.

Reactions: madman and Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Welcome friend!

First rule is don't call us the 'Lanche. Hahaha jk (but seriously don't do it);)

As for Grubauer I don't think he'll ever be in the top 10 of goalies in this league, at least consistently. However he shouldn't have to be if we've built this team right and our young D pan out as we hope.

I think Grubauer will have a good year this year, better than last year and should rack up a decent amount of wins hopefully.

My bad...I'll never call the Avalanche the "fill in the blank" ever again...lol. I dunno man, I think your underrating him a bit. I've watched Grubauer alot since his days in Washington and from what I've seen of him there and what I saw of him when he took over the gig from Varlamov, I saw a guy who looks like he's truly ready to emerge as a top flight NHL goalie as in Top 10 type.

I mean, I'd rather have Grubauer than a Dubynk for instance or a Gibson and other goalies of that ilk who are on the cusp of Top 10 status. I truly believe you guys struck gold with him and so I'm all aboard the Grubauer choo choo train....:nod:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
AccomplishedBetterClingfish-size_restricted.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My bad...I'll never call the Avalanche the "fill in the blank" ever again...lol. I dunno man, I think your underrating him a bit. I've watched Grubauer alot since his days in Washington and from what I've seen of him there and what I saw of him when he took over the gig from Varlamov, I saw a guy who looks like he's truly ready to emerge as a top flight NHL goalie as in Top 10 type.

I mean, I'd rather have Grubauer than a Dubynk for instance or a Gibson and other goalies of that ilk who are on the cusp of Top 10 status. I truly believe you guys struck gold with him and so I'm all aboard the Grubauer choo choo train....:nod:
We will see. I liked what I saw from him in the Calgary series and the latter half of the season but we have yet to see him be the guy in net for an extended amount of time. I hope hes up for it because im not sure we can score our way out of problems.

Reactions: Maximus

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Longtime Rangers fan but but Grubauer owner in my longtime $$ fantasy keeper league this year as of 2 nights ago...lol. Besides that, of all the teams in the league other than my Rangers, the 'Lanche have always been my favorite "other team" I root for since the days when you guys had Hejduk, Kamensky, Deadmarsh...etc....you get the point...lol

I'm thinking your team is all ready set to go to and at least make another long playoff run this year and possibly further if everything comes together which obviously includes Rantanen signing and just as importantly and the reason for this thread of mine, Grubauer continuing his evolution into a studly #1 goalkeeper in the leauge.

I obviously feel he has showed enough by now to show he has the potential as I wouldn't have drafted him but I'm wondering from y'all in here who have watched him all his time here in Colorado and have a better perspective than me who just has watched him on my NHL Center Ice Package, if you guys feel he's ready to join the elite and become a Top 10 goalie this year in the neighborhood of the Rinne's, Price's, Holtby's, Fleury's of the world?

Any insights from you guys are most appreciated and good luck to you guys this season...cheers!!

He's German

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We will see. I liked what I saw from him in the Calgary series and the latter half of the season but we have yet to see him be the guy in net for an extended amount of time. I hope hes up for it because im not sure we can score our way out of problems.

Well said and duly noted as we will find out soon enough if he is up for the task at hand. I'm pretty confident he is. A pretty unsung move you guys made which I know I'm pretty stoked about for you guys is the addition of Kadri. I think he's going to go have a great year for you guys as in a 30-30 type of year and he'll more than make up for the loss of Soderberg and he will help alot in any perceived lack of scoring issues.

I also think Makar like Grubauer not having shown what he can do for any extended amount of time obviously seeing he's just a rookie and only played in the playoffs, I'm thinking from what I've seen of him, he'll give you guys a pretty damn close imitation of Barrie when all is said and done. I dunno maybe I'm being too high on the team's prospects and lord knows as a longtime Ranger fan, I know all about being teased, but from my eyeballs, the Avalanche have as good a chance to be in the WCF this year as anyone.

And the biggest reason IMO you guys make it will be Grubauer's emergence as a bonafide top level goalie who can handle 55-60 games. My suspicion from observing him is that he is ready to take the mantle and if so, you guys are going to have a banner year.

Hopefully my rebuilding Rangers will one day soon get to the point where you guys are at and be ready to compete for a Cup again and our teams can meet one year in the finals which would be friggen awesome.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I took him in literally every fantasy draft I've done so far this season.

He's a goalie a lot of people in my leagues are sleeping on. Hes not a superstar and I dont think he's going to win any Vezinas, but if the Avs are gonna be as good as everyone seems to think, he should win a lot of games and he should have pretty solid numbers. And for as late as he seems to always be available I think hes a good pick to make.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
TD1OWik.png

Hard not to feel fondly towards Gru after his key role in getting us into the playoffs last year, but we still have no clue if Gru will be a reliable full-time (50+ game) starter or if he's more of a 1b who you can ride when he's hot.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm obviously missing something in your but "he's German" which I am aware of comment so help me out...lol
That's the only insights I can give you about Grubauer sorry LOL. I mean he's gonna be somewhat of a question mark as a full time starter since its gonna be his 1st time. He should be able to handle it but we'll see

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
He's a huge wild card. He showed at the end of last season that he has the ability to steal games and be one of the best goalies in the league. He also showed earlier in the season that he has the ability to be one of the worst goalies in the league. It's anyone's guess which one we'll get this year or if it will be somewhere in-between. Anyone making more definite predictions must know something I don't, because last time I checked he's going into his first NHL season ever where he's likely going to be the starter all season. I certainly hope he handles that well and plays consistently strong hockey, but honestly who knows?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
His consistency was terrible last season but without a doubt he has the potential to be a starter.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He's a huge wild card. He showed at the end of last season that he has the ability to steal games and be one of the best goalies in the league. He also showed earlier in the season that he has the ability to be one of the worst goalies in the league. It's anyone's guess which one we'll get this year or if it will be somewhere in-between. Anyone making more definite predictions must know something I don't, because last time I checked he's going into his first NHL season ever where he's likely going to be the starter all season. I certainly hope he handles that well and plays consistently strong hockey, but honestly who knows?
"Huge" wild card is a bit over the top IMO. He has only been the #1 for a relatively short sample size but I think he showed last season especially when it counted the most that it is not a hot take to think he can do the job and pretty well. And yes he had a very bad stretch last season but again taking his entire career under consideration it certainly looks like that was an outlier. Wild card. I'll give you that because he still has to prove both.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
pretty good

He does look like one of the league’s best though, which may come as a bit of a surprise to some. His projected 2.8 wins ranks third in the league behind only John Gibson and Sergei Bobrovsky and comes off the strength of him saving 32 goals above expected over the past three seasons, which is nearly the same as his former mentor Braden Holtby, only in half the minutes. His save percentage above expected is top five over that span and he has more experience (and projected starts this season) than the two goalies ahead of him.

2019-20 NHL Season Preview: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Grubs will be elite, but he should be an average starting goalie. There will be some ups and downs, but overall average.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Ehhhh, other fans can call us whatever they want. I am an Aves fan who supports the 'Lanche.

Absolutely, Gibson is easily the better goaler and it isn't even close.
Gibson’s arguably the best goalie on the planet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->